Accelerator

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Welcome!

Assuming you are not allergic to it (and you don't mind the smell...u may also want to wear a respirator), there are several good products out there. Rockler, Woodcraft, Penn State Industries, Craft Supply USA, any of our excellent IAP vendors sell a brand that works well for applying (and curing) CA to a pen. I prefer aerosol, although have had success with the pump sprayer. There are too many to name, but you can't go wrong if you by from any of our vendors. I am sure many of the members will tell you what they like best. I don't have a preference...other than an aerosol. Enjoy the journey!

Warren White

Welcome!

I use accelerator all of the time for CA finishes, but as you see, others do not.

I use the aerosol can for application, but I have never tried the pump variety, so my recommendation needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

I had problems at first that I thought could be tied to use of the accelerator, but decided it was over application, not the accelerator itself.

My procedure is to apply the accelerator while the lathe is turning slowly, and only use 2 very quick shots.......emphasis on VERY QUICK. I then feel the blank with my bare finger as it still spins and don't apply the next coat of CA until I am sure the last one is dry. You will feel a slight drag on your finger if it isn't dry.

I also have my lathe set up with positive dust collection, so I am not bothered by any of the chemical issues of either the CA or the accelerator.

As I said, there are lots of opinions out there. This is just mine.

Last edited:

tomtedesco

Thanks for asking the question. I have had trouble with the CA bubbling after spraying, perhaps using excessive amount? I have been letting the lathe run slowly and air dry the CA, takes longer but it works for me. I will try one with the process Warren talked about.

KenV

In may experience, accelerator makes CA more brittle.

Accelerator may make the process faster, but a more brittle finish is a higher risk finish. Having been able to watch some of my pens in use for several years, the finishes without accelerator have generally (all but 1) had less challenges and last longer between refinishing cycles.

jttheclockman

In may experience, accelerator makes CA more brittle.
Accelerator may make the process faster, but a more brittle finish is a higher risk finish. Having been able to watch some of my pens in use for several years, the finishes without accelerator have generally (all but 1) had less challenges and last longer between refinishing cycles.
I agree with this statement and that is the reason i do not use it in the finishing process.

Simsonicole

Thanks guys!...that's what I wanted to hear! Problems & opinions. I have the pump spray accelerator that I have been using on high speed with about 4-5 quick pumps. No major issues with it but was curious about the long term effects. I am only a newbie and still learning...so I think I will keep using it on my "trial" style pens...but avoid it on those ones I want to give as gifts :) With so many ideas & techniques running both in my head and available online...gets a bit confusing and not sure what to try sometimes :)

MikeinSC

I stopped using accelerator when pens came back with cracked finishes.

Anymore I only use thin CA as part of the finish if I need a coat to keep certain woods from splintering. For the most part I use friction polish anymore.

BSea

I used to use accelerator all the time, and I haven't noticed any pens having issues. (Knock on Wood). Now, I just let the CA cure naturally. But I don't turn any volume.

I can't remember who said it, but penmakers are the only group who spend money on a product to make instant glue dry faster.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom