10 power inspection

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PerryS

Greetings all,

I just started using a ca finish. I have done hundreds of pens with shellawax and have always been satisfied but I do know the finish dulls with age. So I'm trying to upgrade my quality. I was pleased with the results looking through the 3 power magnifier light on my bench. Then I looked through the 10 power loop. Something I have never done on my pens. Very fine scratches that can only be seen in the light reflection line. I have tried repeatedly to correct this and can't seem to do it. Am I being to picky? Do any of you inspect at 10X?

Perry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

Not only do I not look at my pens at 10X, I don't even inspect them at 3X. I am only concerned with scratches that can be seen with naked eye.

randywa

For a long time, I didn't worry about the scratches that I couldn't see. Then I looked at a pen with a magnifing glass. After I got rid of those scratches the differance was amazing. The woods seem to have more figure and the resin has brighter colors.

IPD_Mr

We will use a 10x loupe and it really does help. Linda likes a 30x loupe. I won't publicly post what I think of the 30x, but the 10x I think is a good thing to use to get a better idea of your work.

D.Oliver

Interesting. What power of magnifing glass? Can most of the scratches that you can't see with naked eyes be addressed with something like Novus II or plastic polish?

randywa

Interesting. What power of magnifing glass? Can most of the scratches that you can't see with naked eyes be addressed with something like Novus II or plastic polish?

It's a Harbor Freight 10x. I think I was rushing the 1000 and 1500 sand paper too much. I use Mother's headlight polish, but I use 3 or 4 steps of buffing compound before the polish. I don't think just polish would get the scratches out.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Greetings all,
I just started using a ca finish. I have done hundreds of pens with shellawax and have always been satisfied but I do know the finish dulls with age. So I'm trying to upgrade my quality. I was pleased with the results looking through the 3 power magnifier light on my bench. Then I looked through the 10 power loop. Something I have never done on my pens. Very fine scratches that can only be seen in the light reflection line. I have tried repeatedly to correct this and can't seem to do it. Am I being to picky? Do any of you inspect at 10X?
Perry

You are about to step UP in quality! The finer you inspect and finish, the higher the quality your pens will become. Keep doing this. This is also the difference in people who sell pens for $50 - $100 vs $300 - $500 and more. AND people who buy the higher prices have eyes who notice the differences.

"Good enough" is the enemy of "Best!"

Top Bottom