*** How do you remove CA from bushings? ***

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tgraytn

I am relatively new to pen turning. I used to just use the old Hut Wax bar and forget it. However, the shine quickly diminished. I have since read a lot about applying CA. I have made 3 European pens recently and they looked great! I applied 12 coats of CA using the method on the video from Penn State Industries "I Can't Believe This Finish" video (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKCAFINSET.html) and followed that up using their sanding and polishing method. Again, I was extremely pleased. I was using Kingwood and Maple Burl. Obviously after 12 coats of medium CA, there is a build up on the bushings. How do you remove the CA afterwards (clean them)? Thanks! Tom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Now that we have that out of the way I'd like to share a tip if I may since you are relatively new to pen turning. First, there are many ways to get the job done and the only rule to remember is that their are no rules!

I have found over time that the easiest way for me to apply ca is to put the blank between two 60 degree centers as shown in the photo below. Once I am happy with the diameter of the blank I no longer need the bushings and when applying ca I will check the diameter with calipers.

In the photo a blank has been turned to the desired diameter and is now ready for ca. With a little neatness hardly any ca even touches the centers, what does is easily removed by a razor knife. You may like it!

Attachments

• toolpost2.jpg
    toolpost2.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 205

tgraytn

Thanks George and Gary! Until I get another 60 degree nose cone I will use the wax.... Thanks Again!

BigguyZ

Now that we have that out of the way I'd like to share a tip if I may since you are relatively new to pen turning. First, there are many ways to get the job done and the only rule to remember is that their are no rules!

I have found over time that the easiest way for me to apply ca is to put the blank between two 60 degree centers as shown in the photo below. Once I am happy with the diameter of the blank I no longer need the bushings and when applying ca I will check the diameter with calipers.

In the photo a blank has been turned to the desired diameter and is now ready for ca. With a little neatness hardly any ca even touches the centers, what does is easily removed by a razor knife. You may like it!

I know some poo poo the idea, but I also turn the blanks this way as well. You can't crank down on the blank, but you'll never need bushings again.

Chief Hill

Ahhhh Sh&$.
So a 4 1/2" angle grinder isn't really a good idea..... Man I knew I was doing something wrong. Nothing seemed to fit right.

bradh

I like to leave the CA on the bushings. That way when you sand the next blank, the CA coating reduces the amount of gray sanding dust that comes off the steel bushings.
I only use the bushing to get in the ballpark and check final size with a caliper.

Top Bottom