"Curing" CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Some contributers to this forum advise letting finished blanks with CA "cure" for a period of time before applying Renaissance wax.
I have waited overnight with some and also have put the wax on others immediately after finishing.
I have not been able to see any difference.
Am I missing something?

Larry

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I believe it is a function of temp and humidity (again).

If you wait, it WILL be cured, if you don't, it MAY be cured. First time you try to coat "wet" CA, you will see why waiting is easier.

Just my opinion -- Your MMV!!

leehljp

Member Liaison
IMO, the primary need for curing is dependent on how thick the CA coating is.
1. A thin coat over softer woods will only protect the surface but still be prone to dents. So for me, I use a thicker coat to increase the structural strength. (if a blank is stabilized, then this may not be necessary.)
2. And my main reason for letting CA cure before fully polishing it: Wood moves! Even some "stabilized" woods will move minutely. I have found that some woods with small eye knots tend to shrink or expand at different rates even after being finished with CA. I have a beautiful amboyna pen with two small knots. When they were finished, the pen was perfect. But beginning about two days later, I saw a couple of "telegraphed" indentions on top of the knots in the CA. It is noticeable only if you start looking for blemishes in the finish real closely. In cases like this, I wait several days after applying CA coats on a knotty or gnarly grained wood before finishing.

Top Bottom