"Bleed Over"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisinKC

Is there a method for avoiding "bleed over" when sanding out a pen made of two differently-colored woods?

I make bases from maple and use ebony as inserted wood. I get quite a bit of "bleed" from the ebony into the maple.

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Sanding sealer and use it often to seal the wood.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by ChrisinKC
<br />Is there a method for avoiding "bleed over" when sanding out a pen made of two differently-colored woods?

I make bases from maple and use ebony as inserted wood. I get quite a bit of "bleed" from the ebony into the maple.

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Chris

Dario

After turning (before sanding) apply THIN CA. It should seal the light wood and minimize any "bleed over". You may have to re-apply thin CA if you have to sand a lot.

Basically the same use/concept as the sanding sealer...I just prefer using CA [;)]

ahoiberg

i've had that same problem a few times and my solution was to use different pieces of sandpaper for each side and different CA applicators for each side and i had no cross-contamination of color.

and like they said above, once you get a sanding sealer coat or two or a few coats of thin CA, you should be OK to use the same.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I recently started adding a brass or aluminum ring between segments and found that the bleedover is cut way down. But of course this doesn't work with lengthwise segments or inlayed segments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom