2015 Shop Life Photo Contest - Official Rules

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

Welcome to the 2015 IAP 11th Birthday Bash Shop Life Photography Contest.

In addition to the Universal Bash Guidelines, the Shop Life Photography Contest contest rules are as follows:

The goal of the Shop Life Photography Contest is mainly to have fun in the Spirit of the BASH while showing your photography skills and giving the IAP members a glimpse into what you see as the visual beauty of your shop and/or it's activity.

Photo Subject:
Photos must be somewhat related to your workshop or places that you do work related to pen creation. They can include people working in your shop, the materials, tools and equipment you use, etc.
Photography work:
All photography work submitted must be done by you, the person submitting and entering the contest. You may use another person's cameras and other equipment and get tips and pointers, but you must be the person doing ALL the photography work including, but not limited to: set up, lighting, set arrangement, focusing, composition, exposure, cropping, and basic digital editing. Photos can be from any date and do not have to be taken specifically for the contest. Inclusion of pens, either finished or in process is not necessary, but is certainly acceptable, but please be careful about including any pens or other items which may be entered in other contests in the BASH, as this may cause them to be disqualified in this or other contests (See the Universal Bash Guidelines). At the same time, the photos entered in the contest fall under the same rules as the items entered in the other contests in that THEY MUST NOT HAVE BEEN PREVIOUSLY SHOWN PUBLICLY HERE ON THE IAP OR ANY OTHER SITE (INCLUDING FACEBOOK) PRIOR TO ENTRY OR BEFORE THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF THIS CONTEST WINNERS.
Please be aware that this rule, along with the similar rule on the pens used, means that these photos must not be used to enter the pens in other IAP 11th Birthday Bash.
Image Modifications:
Photographic Digital enhancement is permitted (see below), but composites, montages, insets or other methods of combining multiple or different images (with the exception of HDR and in camera multiple exposure) or the addition of graphics, borders or other elements to the photos are not allowed.
Permitted Modifications:

• Images may be cropped and rotated as necessary.
  • Red-eye removal and spot editing to remove minor dust, etc.
  • One-step enhancement (such as "AutoFix", "QuickFix", "Auto Levels", etc.)
  • Use of filters to sharpen, soften, blur, despeckle, or remove noise.
  • Use of corrective functions to improve the natural appearance of the image, such as levels, contrast, brightness, curves, intensity, tone, hue, saturation, lightness, value, color balance, and tint.
  • HDR techniques are allowed
  • Artistic filters such as vignettes, sepia tone, tints, selective blurring or sharpening of areas
Not Permitted:

• Borders, frames, or textures added to images.
  • Watermarks, signatures, logos or copyright notices added to images. (logos, etc. on items in the photo are permitted)
  • Adding or replacing significant elements in an image.
Photo Formats:
Digital images must be submitted using the 2015 Shop Life Photo Contest Official Entry Form. File size must be less than 256K per image. Images may be no larger than 960 pixels in either width or height but can be any proportion (i.e. vertical, horizontal, or square) within that size. Any images submitted larger than that will be resized down using Adobe Photoshop and the "Bicubic Sharper (reduction)" method. The IAP and BASH Organizers will not be responsible for any loss in image quality because of this. Smaller images will not be resized and will be displayed at the size they were submitted. Entries may be color or black & white digital images only and should be submitted in either JPG (JPEG) or PNG format.
Photographer/Copyright:
Entries must be submitted by the original photographer. Do not submit a photo taken by someone other than you. You must be the sole owner of the copyright of any image submitted. Your submission of the photo is your guarantee that you are the author and copyright holder of the photo.
Ownership/Use Rights:
Photographers retain the copyright to their photographs. By entering the contest, photographers agree to have their submitted photograph displayed on the IAP website without any fee or other form of compensation. Photographers agree that IAP may display winning photos in a "past winners" photo gallery and retain copies of the photograph for promotional purposes. Photos will be credited to the photographer.
How to Enter:
Each IAP Member may submit only ONE photo to this contest. Photos need to be submitted through the 2015 Shop Life Photo Contest Official Entry Form and ABSOLUTELY NOT POSTED HERE OR ANYWHERE ELSE ON THE FORUM. If it has been posted or otherwise shown on IAP or anywhere else publicly (including Facebook), it is not eligible for this contest. Your IAP username, E-Mail address, and First and Last Name are required on the entry form but I highly suggest that you include the other fields so that it will make it easier to send you your prizes if you win! All personal information will be kept strictly confidential (even from me!!) and will only be accessible to members of the IAP Birthday Bash necessary to administer and distribute prizes.

Entries must be received by Friday February 20th, 2015 11:59 PM PST be eligible.
Judging:
Saturday, February 21st, preliminary polls will be posted of all entries to be voted on by the entire IAP membership. If there are more than 10 entries, there will be several polls created so that each poll contains no more than 10 entries. Preliminary voting will be open until Monday February 23rd, 2015 11:59 PM PST. Tuesday Feb 24th a final poll will be posted with the top top photos by votes from all preliminary polls. Final voting will be between the time the final poll is posted and Friday, February 27th, 2015. In the event of 10 or less total entries are received, only one poll will be made on Saturday, February 21st and voting will be open until Friday, February 27th, 2015 11:59 PM PST. PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THIS CONTEST IS NOT OVER UNTIL THE RESULTS OF THE FINAL POLL ARE MADE PUBLIC!! As such you should not post your photo or any other information on this site or any others that would identify your photo to other members. Promoting your entry to other members in any way (in person, Private Message, E-Mail, Phone, posting pleas for votes) is strictly prohibited and will result in disqualification.
Questions of concerns about the contest, rules, or what is and is not allowed:
You may post any questions for clarifications on these rules here in this thread or to me by PM if you do not want to post it openly. Any questions sent by PM will be answered both by reply PM and posted here with the user information of the member asking removed, so everyone has access to any and all discussions.
Prizes will be awarded as follows:

• 1st Place: 1 lot of HealeyDays Honeycomb Blanks ($100 Value)
  • 2nd Place: Mark James Box #1 ($40 Value Blanks/kits/Bushings) & Bad Dog Burls Gift Certificate
  • 3rd Place: 1 Box-O-Blanks by Edohmann (#1) ($25 Value) & 1 Box-O-Blanks by garyMCG ($25 Value)

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brian G

The trivia contest is done, though. :redface:

Seriously, a short description like last year helps convey the intent of the picture.

toddlajoie

I kind of felt like the descriptions made the playing field a bit uneven. some people didn't write anything, others were very factual and brief. others wrote several paragraphs, some funny, some serious and technical...

I (personally) liked the funny ones, but in the end, it seemed like the best way to keep the contest focused on the photography that it would be best to just let the photos do the talking...

It's too late to make changes to the contest for this year, but if enough people miss the captions and bring it up in the After-Bash-Roundup, I have no problem bringing them back...

Krash

When I use the submission form and try to upload the picture, it returns to the submission form but I don't see any evidence that the picture was attached. Is this how it is suppose to react?

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
When I use the submission form and try to upload the picture, it returns to the submission form but I don't see any evidence that the picture was attached. Is this how it is suppose to react?

You should receive an auto reply email very shortly. That will show your entry and the photo that you submitted so you can verify that everything was submitted as intended.

If you don't get the reply or if anything looks wrong, just contact Todd.

Krash

You should receive an auto reply email very shortly. That will show your entry and the photo that you submitted so you can verify that everything was submitted as intended.

I got the auto reply but it only had my info, no photo. I guess I'll have to send it another way.

Thanks,

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

I got the auto reply but it only had my info, no photo. I guess I'll have to send it another way.

Thanks,

Be sure to check the file & image sizes.
The form says the image must be 800x600 pixels (or 600x800) max, but I believe it will actually accept images up to 960x960. I'm pretty sure the file size must be a max of 256K though.

Just send Todd a PM, I'm sure he will help you get it submitted somehow.

Krash

The form says 800x600 but the rules say no more than 960. Mine 960 wide and 170 KB. I'll wait for Todd to respond to my PM to him.

Thanks,

The form says the image must be 800x600 pixels (or 600x800) max, but I believe it will actually accept images up to 960x960. I'm pretty sure the file size must be a max of 256K though.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Mine was 960x720 and 248K, so your image size sounds ok. Must have been some other glitch.

The form says 800x600 but the rules say no more than 960. Mine 960 wide and 170 KB. I'll wait for Todd to respond to my PM to him.

Thanks,

toddlajoie

Have you got my subission? It's been the hot topic over in the Kitless forum.

Was that the one titled "Moon Rise over South Dakota"??? I clicked on the attachment and this was all I saw on the screen...

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-12 at 5.04.25 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-02-12 at 5.04.25 PM.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 320

toddlajoie

The 800x600 text is left over from last year and didn't get updated this year (only so many hours in the wee bits of the morning...) The online form is not capable of analyzing the image dimensions, so it will only refuse to take a photo if it exceeds the 256KB file size. That is the reason the rules discuss the methods that will be used if the images need to be re-sized down.

Krash, your photo came through just fine, as did Edgars, and a few others (not divulging everyone's name, but you two made it clear in the thread that you had entered...). I will confirm by PM to all people who have submitted entries in a few days, and post a message that if you don't get a PM to contact me, so anyone who thought they did but it didn't come through will have a chance to sort it out with me.

I tested the form before we started, but from memory I don't remember if there was any indication that the image was selected...

TO BE CLEAR: The maximum Image Size is 960x960 pixels, even though the entry form says 800x600*.

*except for Derek, his maximum image size is being reduced to 2x3...

toddlajoie

All entries that I have received have been confirmed by Private Message. If you have submitted an entry to this contest prior to 9PM Tuesday Feb 17 and did not receive a PM from me, PLEASE contact me right away.

toddlajoie

CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT ENTERED THIS CONTEST!!!

Also, please note that the second place prize has changed due to an unforseen circumstance. It now includes a Gift Certificate for Bad Dog Burls, which is actually VERY close by to where a certain Photography Contest Chair lives, and he can personally vouch for the FANTASTIC array of materials offered by Rob, as evidenced by the fact that I (I mean he...) he has never left there with any cash left or a wife who was speaking to him...

Last edited:
Top Bottom