Votes: 33 35.9%
  • Entry 16

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • Entry 17

Votes: 19 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cmiles1985

Hello, and welcome to the initial round of voting for the Kit Pen Contest.

This was a new contest for the 11th Annual Birthday BASH. The only two rules pertaining to making the pen were: use a kit containing a 3/8" tube, and the barrel be made of natural materials. The main goal of this contest was to level the playing field among all the membership, and show off how well you can fit and finish your pen.

This is the preliminary round of voting as there were more than ten contestants. Please select up to ten entries that will be promoted to the final round of voting.

Thank you for participating in this contest by either competing, voting or donating prizes.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cmiles1985

Entry 3:
Tell us about your entry: This is a pen made on an Atlas Black Titanium Kit and the blank was made from a Crape Myrtle tree in our front Yard. It was air dried for over a year, cut up into blanks and turned and sanded to 400 grit, finished with 6 coats of c/a and polished to 12,000 grit with micro pads.

Cmiles1985

Entry 4:
Tell us about your entry: Challenged myself with my first burl for this contest, so I wanted to make it special. Skull pen in Amboyna Burl with a CA finish. I was going for a Skull floating on a sea of fire.

Cmiles1985

Entry 5:
Tell us about your entry: For my Kit Pen submission, I chose a Chrome 3/8" Bolt Action Pen. This pen is dressed out in beautiful layered cow hide. This is the first time I have ever turned leather for a pen. I hope you are as pleased with the results as I am.

Cmiles1985

Entry 6:
Tell us about your entry: This is a 3/8 Art Deco kit from PSI. The blank is Leopard wood with Purple heart inserts. The Leopard wood blank was routed cross ways with a 90 degree bit and matched with the corner of Purple heart wood so once turned would give it an elliptical shape. The finish is CA glue polished to 12k grit.

Cmiles1985

Entry 7:
Tell us about your entry: This is the new ACCORD 3/8 kit from Woodcraft. The wood is crosscut Aripari, segmented with Honduras Rosewood. An initial window is casted opposite the clip. The finish is a deep CA.

Cmiles1985

Entry 8:
Tell us about your entry: The kit used for this pen is the Stratus Click kit from PSI. The material used to create the barrel is Yew with a touch of burl effects. I finished the pen natural in 4 coats of CA Medium and sanded to 12,000 Micro Mesh.

Cmiles1985

Entry 9:
Tell us about your entry: This pen was made with a Gothica pen kit. There are 16 individual pieces either cut and sanded or turned into a dowel. CA glue was used to hold the segments together as well as the outer coating. The different kinds of woods used are as follows: Box Elder Buckey Burl Spalted Hackberry (Harvested off my ranch in South Texas) Ironwood Walnut Afzelia

Cmiles1985

Entry 10:
Tell us about your entry: This 30 Caliber Bolt Action Deer Antler pen was made for a friend who had the antler for over 20 years. Because of the rough texture I finished it with 3 coats of thin CA and 2 coats of medium to help fill in and smooth out the roughness. Then I wet sanded and buffed.

Cmiles1985

Entry 11:
Tell us about your entry: The pen is made from a stabilized and dyed piece of blonde Buckeye Burl and combined with the Artisan Chrome Clicker. The contrast of the dyed blonde fibers and the dark eyes and knots made me select this pen to submit. It is finished with Pens Plus for a nice semi gloss finish that allows the writer to feel the wood.

Cmiles1985

Entry 12:
Tell us about your entry: Knight's Armor kit in antique brass. Wrapped in a double dyed black stabilized box elder. Finished with Pens Plus.

Cmiles1985

Entry 13:
Tell us about your entry: The kit is called Phoenix Rising by PSI in Antique Pewter. I chose Texas ebony for the wood. It has two distinct color yellow and dark brown which I think complements the pewter color with the Amber stone.

Cmiles1985

Entry 14:
Tell us about your entry: Kit is a PSI Antique Brass Bolt Action Click Pen PKCP8040 Blank is from Geroge's Bits of Timber (Robutacion)... #14 on the timber species list... She/Bull-Oak. Interesting piece of wood to turn. I cut it in half and started to turn each piece. Both revealed some worm holes as I got down to final size. I stopped proud of the bushings and tried out some different finishes. On the blank for this pen, the worm hole disappeared when turned down which was a relief. I sanded through 600 grit then used a pre stain sanding sealer, then a "special family formula" stain followed by several coats of Pens Plus: Doctor's Woodshop and finally a couple of coats of a clear varnish, buffing out the blank after each coat. On the other blank I didn't use, the worm hole went all the way down to the tube and as I got down to final size, an ugly stain appeared on one end near the bushing. Like I said, it was an interesting wood to turn. Thanks for looking.

Top Bottom