• Entry 4

Votes: 16 11.4%
  • Entry 5

Votes: 27 19.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sumterdad

Hello everyone!

I had the pleasure to chair this new contest that really put the talent skills to the test. This will be the only poll that is available for this contest so please don't delay and vote.

This contest challenged the participants because they did not know what kind of pen kit to use or what kind of material to use until the day before. We asked each entry to make a pen using a cigar pen kit for the components, and for the material it had to be made of some kind of wood segmented with red, white and blue, but it had to be a distinct color combination it could not be a casted 3 color blank. Each color had to be segmented together. The entries that came in went above what I could ever think of doing and congratulate each and every entry.

The poll will be open for 3 days and will close on the 20th of Feb 2015, So please vote and Thank you for your participation

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sumterdad

Entry 1

Tell us about your entry: This is a Chrome/Titanium Cigar kit from Rockler. The materials are big leaf maple dyed blue and Padauk wood for the blue and red scallops, figured Walunt, white Corian, and aluminium for the circles at the back of the pen and between the other materials

Attachments

• Entry1.3.jpg
    Entry1.3.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 326
  • Entry1.2.jpg
    Entry1.2.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 317
  • Entry1.1.jpg
    Entry1.1.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 328

sumterdad

Entry 2

Tell us about your entry: Faded Glory Segmented white acrylic and sycamore, dyed with red and blue alcohol ink

Attachments

• Entey 2.jpg
    Entey 2.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 391

sumterdad

Entry 3

Tell us about your entry: Chrome and Black Ti cigar pen dressed in segmented maple - natural, dyed red, and dyed blue. The red and white segments are angle cut (scalloped) to form a wavy pattern that alternates up and down around the upper barrel

Attachments

• Entry 3.1.jpg
    Entry 3.1.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 320
  • Entry3.2.jpg
    Entry3.2.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 314
  • Entry3.3.jpg
    Entry3.3.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 297

sumterdad

Entry 4

Tell us about your entry: used dyed maple for the red and blue portion of the segments. I used pick guard material to incorporate the white in between. I segemented with ebony to enhance the look of the red, white and blue

Attachments

• Entry4.1.jpg
    Entry4.1.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 407
  • Entry 4.2.jpg
    Entry 4.2.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 380
  • Entry 3.jpg
    Entry 3.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 367

sumterdad

Entry 5

Tell us about your entry: This cherry and chome pen represents that our freedom and liberty are protected by intertwined actions of service personnel. This is represented by the red, white, and blue layers of veneer in the knot; the harder the pull, the tighter the knot becomes. We flank our service personnel in support, represented by the red, white, and blue bands. Let's not forget those who have not come home. The white and black veneer bands on the lower barrel are in memory of the POW/MIA. Finally, the long, thin purpleheart veneer lines are in honor of those that gave the ultimate sacrifice, and those that returned home safe, but carrying the scars of service that we who have not served might never understand

Attachments

• Entry5.3.jpg
    Entry5.3.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 347
  • Entry5.1.jpg
    Entry5.1.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 333
  • Entry 5.2.jpg
    Entry 5.2.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 287

Krash

Wow, what a hard decision to select just one. All are wonderfully made and presented. For me, it ultimately came down to which one I thought was balanced and designed the best and the one I would most likely carry.

Great job all and congratulations!

THarvey

I couldn't find blue in one of them so had to vote from the remaining pens. Maybe the blue is not showing up in the picture.... :confused:

I had trouble finding "black" wood in a couple, so that narrowed my vote too.

I don't see in the rules that "black" had to be included.

Great pens. Well done by all.

Sorry, You are correct. I misread it (multiple times). It was part of reason I didn't enter. :frown:

Note to self: Time to get eyes checked again. :cool:

sumterdad

Alright the votes are coming in let's try and get some more votes in the poll will close on the 20th and there is only one poll

Top Bottom