hcpens wins again!!: Fairfield pen from Smitty

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If this looks very wide, you can narrow it by holding down ctrl and tapping the minus sign repeatedly, until the thread is all included in your screen width.

Will end FRIDAY night, 9:15 PM Eastern Time (New York)

As the Russ Fairfield plate auction was closing, I received a note from Jeff indicating that Smitty had volunteered one of the Russ Fairfield pieces we auctioned a couple years ago.

Better to just give you the information I received, which follows:

This pen:
LeRoy Smith (Smitty37) is generously donating the Russ Fairfield Americana pen he bought in a Bash auction in 2013. The original certificate of authenticity I provided is included. This pen was in daily use in the Fairfield home, and so has some signs of wear and tear, but it was in the best condition of the pens I originally purchased from Mrs. Fairfield.

A little background:
Our good friend Russ Fairfield passed away in 2011. Like many of you, I got my start in penturning watching Russ's videos and surfing his web site. When Russ passed away, I asked Scott Greaves to let the family know that I was interested in purchasing any of Russ's for-sale inventory which was available, if and when they were ready to sell. My intention was to keep a piece or two for my own collection, and make the rest available to IAP members via a fund raising activity.

I was eventually able to purchase about a dozen items from Mrs. Fairfield, including some art items and pens. Most items were sold in Bash auctions in 2013. I was a bit disappointed when the box arrived because it looked like these items were not the Fairfield masterpieces I wanted, but rather pens and knickknacks from around their home. I learned that one of Russ's children had taken his inventory of pens and other finished goods. I was pretty disappointed, but after thinking about it for a while, I realized that these items might in fact be more special than the things he made for sale. These items lived in the Fairfield home and were used and enjoyed by Russ and his wife. The pens have the scars of daily use.

attachment.php

Smitty is also adding a bundle of SIX of his Le Roi Elegant Royale pen kits with bushings and the "U" drill bit included.

So, let's keep this going until Friday night, so everyone has a chance to see it and bid, if you wish.

Who will start the bidding, please?

Attachments

• Americana.jpg
    Americana.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 875
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
THANK YOU, Ken!!!!

Not only do I now know the thread is open, you even set the bar at a great starting point!!!

Your help is sincerely appreciated!!!

Who will make it $110??

Tom T

Okay Ken, Great start sir. I'll go up a little $150. It is for the good of the IAP.
East cost guy gone off to bed. 5:00am is early every day. Lets see what the West Cost can do.
Tom

PR_Princess

Here is a picture of some of the Le Roi Elegant Royale pen kits that Smitty is so generously including. There are 3 in the picture...but Smitty is including not three....but SIX kits, bushings and U drill bit!!!

attachment.php

Smitty's Pen Works. 6 PACK LE ROI ELEGANT ROYALE - SALE

(Psssst...Smitty, I hope I got this right...Please feel free chime in!!)

Attachments

• LeRoi Royal.jpg
    LeRoi Royal.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 855

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
WOW!!! This Midwest guy is going home for dinner!!

Please!! Continue!!! I will probably return around midnight for a quick glimpse!!
THANK YOU
TOM!!!

Who will make it $160?

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Here is a picture of some of the Le Roi Elegant Royale pen kits that Smitty is so generously including. There are 3 in the picture...but Smitty is including not three....but SIX kits, bushings and U drill bit!!!

attachment.php

Smitty's Pen Works. 6 PACK LE ROI ELEGANT ROYALE - SALE

(Psssst...Smitty, I hope I got this right...Please feel free chime in!!)
You got it right....remember these kits are equipped with Schmidt EasyFlow 9000 refills which I secure from some well known IAP members.....:biggrin: Also, we are pretty good with shipping so these will be in the mail on Saturday if the auction closes on Friday and IAP has gotten paid....Because it is such a nice certificate of authenticity I will mail it separately so it does not get bent.

Last edited:

Tom T

This is great. Just prior to work I log on and Smitty has done wonderful and there are pictures. And 6 kits and drill bit and bushing. Wow And I have the highest bid so far. This is great.
Really though I am not expecting to stay in this position. It is nice to be first for a few hours.

hcpens

Ok, now we have an issue. The collect was going to the IAP Collection, as anyone's special work of art should be treasured and kept for all to see
Ed time to get serious. .... $ 275.50

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
A busy day!!!!

THANK YOU to Smitty for the additional donation of his pen kits!!

Then, our thanks to the bidders:
Richard,
Mark and
Tom

And all the "rooters"!!
(I have a rotacrylic I could put in an auction, then we could have "roto-rooters"!!!)

Bidding is at

$275.50!!

We shall see what tomorrow brings!

The IAP sincerely THANKS all of you!!
We have a GREAT community!!
Ed

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
A busy day!!!!

THANK YOU to Smitty for the additional donation of his pen kits!!

Then, our thanks to the bidders:
Richard,
Mark and
Tom

And all the "rooters"!!
(I have a rotacrylic I could put in an auction, then we could have "roto-rooters"!!!)

Bidding is at

$275.50!!

We shall see what tomorrow brings!

The IAP sincerely THANKS all of you!!
We have a GREAT community!!
Ed
If the Bid goes above three hundred USA dollars I will kick in an aquabright acrylic blank for each of the pen kits

jttheclockman

Well I have to say I am impressed. Mark has a great idea but i also see the other people wanting a piece of ICONIC history. Not sure how many people realize how important this man was to not only pen turning but to many aspects of turning and woodworking in general. Finishing methods that are still used today. We lost a good one for sure. His works will always be treasured. There is a very very generous offer out there to sweeten the deal and i bet it would get even sweeter if it tops the all time money spent on an auction here:rolleyes:. Maybe some one could remind us of what that might be.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Well I have to say I am impressed. Mark has a great idea but i also see the other people wanting a piece of ICONIC history. Not sure how many people realize how important this man was to not only pen turning but to many aspects of turning and woodworking in general. Finishing methods that are still used today. We lost a good one for sure. His works will always be treasured. There is a very very generous offer out there to sweeten the deal and i bet it would get even sweeter if it tops the all time money spent on an auction here:rolleyes:. Maybe some one could remind us of what that might be.
I could be wrong on this but I believe that Constant Laubscher paid close to $1000 to win an auction year before last I'm sure it was over $750. I've paid around $700 for one. So there is room for a lot of bidding to top the record.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I could be wrong on this but I believe that Constant Laubscher paid close to $1000 to win an auction year before last I'm sure it was over $750. I've paid around $700 for one. So there is room for a lot of bidding to top the record.
I mis-spoke my bid of $700 paid last year for the Gary Nichols blanks is the highest price paid at a IAP auction. I paid $750 for a pen but that was an eBay auction with the proceeds going to flood victims last year.

hcpens

$350.99 I want those blanks!

If you close your eyes and clear your mind, you can hear the pitter pater of the size ?? feet running to the post office with my winning bid items.:)

Last edited:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Smitty, thank you for parting with this pen.

Richard, thanks for your generous bid, and I hope you enjoy this piece of penmaking history!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Payment have been submitted, will PM you my shipping. Thanks to all, I had a real nice time.

Richard
Congratulations and Thank you for making this a great auction for the IAP. I'll have the pen the kit bundle and the blanks coming out to you as soon as Jeff and/or Ed confirm payment and you send me your mailing address. Shipping will be by Priority Mail

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Payment have been submitted, will PM you my shipping. Thanks to all, I had a real nice time.

Richard
Congratulations and Thank you for making this a great auction for the IAP. I'll have the pen the kit bundle and the blanks coming out to you as soon as Jeff and/or Ed confirm payment and you send me your mailing address. Shipping will be by Priority Mail
These can't ship before Monday, I don't have an address and it's too late to get them in today's pickup....

Top Bottom