Auction: Russ Fairfield plate sold to KenV!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
BIDDING now OPEN, to end SUNDAY 2/22 night, 9 PM, EST USA

This is the explanation and description, as told by Jeff Brown, the current owner of this Russ Fairfield plate!!

Here are photos and the details for the Russ Fairfield plate for auction. I hope that those who enjoyed knowing Russ as much as I did will enjoy bidding on this.

I believe it's maple. It is 10-9/16" diameter, the outer lip stands about 5/8" off the table, and it weighs 4 ounces. In my opinion it's about as nice a shape and thickness as a turned plate could be. It's signed "Russ" on the back. It seems to have a light poly finish on it.The finish is very good, but not pristine.

This was part of the lot of items I bought from Mrs. Fairfield when Russ passed. While Russ was sick, another family member had taken all the finished for-sale products Russ had in stock. But Mrs. Fairfield was in need of money, so she reluctantly parted with items he had made that they kept around the house for use and enjoyment. In her note to me with the items, she mentioned "the beautiful plate", and I think it may have been a gift to her.

While I have parted with all my other Russ items (except for the VHS tape from which I learned to turn pens!) I have enjoyed having this plate here for the last few years. Now it's time to let someone else enjoy it.

For those who don't know him, Russ Fairfield was a very influential person in the handmade pen world, and was a great friend to us in the early days of the IAP. I never met him in person, but listening to his videos and talking on the phone with him was a calming experience.

So, here is YOUR chance to own this beautiful Russ Fairfield "keepsake"!!

Who will start the bidding, please??

Attachments

• Plate-Front.JPG
    Plate-Front.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 321
  • Plate-Edge.JPG
    Plate-Edge.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 282
  • Plate-Back.JPG
    Plate-Back.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 296
  • Plate-Sig.JPG
    Plate-Sig.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 296
  • Plate-Side.JPG
    Plate-Side.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:

brownsfn2

I just realized that the next 3 auctions will probably be to complete the place setting. Fork, Knife, Bowl. I should have held some back. :)

wyone

I will admit, I have read a bit about this man, but not in depth. Since this auction posted I was very interested. Wow... what a wealth of information. I thought this link might inspire others to bid on this item. Wish I had a few hundred extra laying around. What an honor it would be to actually own a piece if his work.

Russ Fairfield, woodturner

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Woodturner Russ

I will admit, I have read a bit about this man, but not in depth. Since this auction posted I was very interested. Wow... what a wealth of information. I thought this link might inspire others to bid on this item. Wish I had a few hundred extra laying around. What an honor it would be to actually own a piece if his work.

Russ Fairfield, woodturner

When I came to the IAP, Russ Fairfield was a frequent visitor. He would post authoritative information, usually on finishing. At one point, I recall having a question. I PM'd Russ and he gave me a short answer and an invitation to call him if I wanted a more "in-depth" answer. At that time, I was "Joe Member", and yet I was able to talk to "Russ"!! The call was not long, maybe 10 minutes, but the impression has lasted ever since. Russ was a source of great information, but he was also a great MAN! And, one of the foundation-building members of IAP.

stonepecker

I own a piece of Russ's work......it is something that I cherish. I never met the man or spoke to him. Those of you who have had the pleasure, I am green with envy. I have read everything I could about the man. I do have feelers out for one of his books. And I have talked to someone about DVD/video for my collection.

Like Mitch, this year I decided that my funds needed to be spent a little more wisely.
Otherwise, I would be in the hunt up to my neck. Signed? I really have to think about this. The pohtos alone show the work of a master.

its_virgil

I don't think Russ published any books. I have all of his videos but don't remember books. I never saw books on his website. I coild be wrong.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I own a piece of Russ's work......it is something that I cherish. I never met the man or spoke to him. Those of you who have had the pleasure, I am green with envy. I have read everything I could about the man. I do have feelers out for one of his books. And I have talked to someone about DVD/video for my collection.
Mitch, this year I decided that my funds needed to be spent a little more wisely.
Otherwise, I would be in the hunt up to my neck. Signed? I really have to think about this. The pohtos alone show the work of a master.

Tom T

John U in the lead. Great bid on this sir. I am thinking what should I do, but I need a few bucks left over for the John U auction.
Mitch that Russ sight was great, thanks for sharing that.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
That is a "beautiful Plate"
$200

Just a quick reminder!!

Another GREAT start for the first day!!! My thanks to all the bidders and those who commented!!

We will be here Sunday, egging you all on!!

Keep your eyes on the auctions---never know what could develop---

For now, good night--see you Sunday!

Ed

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Sunday afternoon!!

Time to turn over the couch and count the change you have "saved" in there since last year!!

Next bid is $210 or better, please!!

Who will be our next "Leader of the bidding battle"??

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for that generous bid, Ken.

It will leave here in the morning. I expect it in Tucson by Thursday!

SteveG

Congrats Ken. It is nice to be in the "Winner's Circle" in an IAP auction. You are getting value and giving value at the same time, not to mention the good will of fellow members. I thought about joining the auction, but looked over and noticed the check book was going through some sort of melt-down. So instead, I just watched. GOOD ON YOU!!

JohnU

I got busy at work and came back a little too late. Happy for you Ken. Its a beautiful piece. Congrats! and thanks Ed for all of your hard work and time!

Top Bottom