Pens on Airlines - TSA Issues - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > The IAP Collection
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
The IAP Collection Discussions relating to The IAP Collection

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2016, 08:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by beck3906;1841529
Some regional planes have restricted overheads meaning your checked bags will be gate checked. [B
Be careful what you want gate checked[/b] as the bags often get handled pretty rough getting them onto and off the plane.
Thanks for that Rick - I'll want to avoid that.

Becky: Sounds promising! Thank you for the input.
Wadsworth, Ohio, OH 44281
Like the Midwest Penturners Gathering Facebook Page for all current information!
mark james is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-13-2016, 09:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I said checked bags get gate checked and should have said carry on bags get gate checked if too large to fit into the limited overheads.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by beck3906 View Post
I said checked bags get gate checked and should have said carry on bags get gate checked if too large to fit into the limited overheads.
Yes, I did understand your point! I don't believe I will be on smaller planes, but the point is well taken that on some, after 1/2 of the plane has boarded... there is NO overhead room available and everything then gets gate checked!

All good input! Thanks.
Wadsworth, Ohio, OH 44281
Like the Midwest Penturners Gathering Facebook Page for all current information!
mark james is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2016, 10:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 35

If you are taking the collection out of the country you probably want to make sure you have "proof" that you had them before you left the country so that customs doesn't try to collect duty (or worse) when you return.

Since they don't have serial numbers you can't register them with US customs. You might be able to get by with a picture of you holding the open case in a location that is clearly in the US before you left on the trip. If you have insurance on the pens, a dated copy of the policy might be adequate. You could provide a link to the IAP website if you are challenged, but getting a customs agent to check the IAP website might be tough.

I would not take anything that might in any way be considered to have been part of an endangered plant or animal. Some of the pens in the collection might raise an issue. It doesn't matter if materials were legally acquired by the pen maker. If the material is thought to be on the list by whatever customs agent (US or UK) is looking at it, it will be game over.

Ed
Ed McDonnell is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-13-2016, 10:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

I flew to St. Croix and Mexico with two 48 pen portfolio cases within a carry-on bag. No cartridge pens though.
bobjackson is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-13-2016, 10:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

I took 30-40 pens (Bullet, ballpoint, rollerball,fountain) with me to Alaska a couple years ago. TSA said they were totally fine. These were not real shells though. I did sell a bullet pen on the plane between Denver and Phoenix though.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:32 AM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 14

I know some people make pens from spent cartridges. I would be more worried about them, as the last two times we flew they did the swab around the bags like they used to. I asked what that was for and was told it was a random thing looking for gunpowder residue. So if you have any pens made with spent cartridges extra care might be necessary

Thanks!

Mitch
wyone is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-14-2016, 08:02 AM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Separating them at X-Ray so they're ready for inspection is a good tip. I had about 16 PR blanks I was nervous about a few months ago. I had them in their own giant ziploc and pulled them out like I would a laptop at xray. They got flagged when they went through xray, and they asked me what they were and took them over to the "swab test" machine which I think is checking for explosive chemicals. They were very nice and made a point of thanking me for packaging them separately, and pulling them out for easy inspection. All this seemed pretty routine for them.

Travelling last month I also had some blanks with me and this time they didn't get flagged or swabbed.
budnder is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-16-2016, 09:07 AM   #19 (permalink)

Photos: 20

You might have someone go to the airport with you just in case something DOES happen, he could take the collection without you risking missing your flight. Murphy IS alive and well, after all!

sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-20-2016, 06:59 PM   #20 (permalink)

Photos: 257

Be aware a TSA PRE is not absolute either.
I was on the road and had to change my return.
I moved my flight up 6 days and when I checked in the morning of the flight, the following day, I was no longer PRE cleared.
I had the same items in my pockets as I had on the original flight and I got searched going back.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads