MPG - 2015 Pictures - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > The IAP Collection
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
The IAP Collection Discussions relating to The IAP Collection

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2015, 12:40 AM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 83

I like your warning signs Mark.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:22 AM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by jttheclockman View Post
I like your warning signs Mark.
Thank's John! I was very nervous about folks picking them up, but that was one of the intentions, so ... The pens actually were handled the most by the most experienced turners who really wanted to check out how others did their threading, matched the grain, etc...

The folks at both MPG and MAPG were VERY concientious; many wanted to pick them up, but hesitated. I also had a 1" thick pad under the blue sheet. But for other venues, covered cases will be necessary I suspect.

ANY suggestions will be considered, as noted, I have never done Displays, shows, etc. so all hints will be appreciated (i.e., lint roller).

Best Regards, Mark

More random Thoughts: Many folks liked the small label signs, others thought it was too "busy"

The trays worked fine for 6 pens with space.

A 6' table was fine for about 35-40 pens. If we end up with at least 2 double tray cases (stacked), then a nice display could be upwards of 47-52 pens...

As I said, please make suggestions, this is a long-term project that should be refined to make it as useful as possible. Hopefully, when someone else takes the helm a smooth process will be in place.

On a personal note: I am thrilled to have the Russ Fairfield and "Eagle" pens in the Collection, hopefully as opportunities present themselves, more of our history will be represented. Then again, as time passes, they ALL will be historical in nature

The IAP Collection is a permanent collection of pens
that has been established from the
IAP Membership explicitly for the purpose of
public display, preservation and inspiration.
mark james is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-09-2015, 10:37 AM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 83

Yes Mark as you go forward and this thing really gets some teeth, you may have to go to a tiered system for display such as a jewlery box design. The idea for observers to be able to pick them up and touch them was the whole idea from the start so that needs to be in play. Having a few caution notes around though will help. Accidents happen and it is only a pen so I am sure things can be fixed. Hopefully this never happens. I remember Eagle saying many times when he made a blank for someone and they were all nervous to turn it, he always told them just do it. It is only a pen. I can make more. I never had anyone drop a pen of mine on the floor at a show but they have dropped it on the table. Have to remember these pens are slippery because of the finish and sometimes this may surprise people. Plus the weight of some may take a person by surprise too. Especially if they are the BIC type people.

Maybe have a rubber mat in front of the display so when the stand there thay are standing on it and in case it is dropped it may cushion the fall. They do look good as a collection. Having survived the Maiden voyage I am sure they will be seen and touched by many others. Good job.

Last edited by jttheclockman; 05-09-2015 at 10:40 AM.
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2015, 11:06 AM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 41

For an enclosed display at a non IAP event you could consider using an enclosed revolving display case like they use for watches in the store. Could even be lighted and motorized.

I don't know if there are any made that can break down for transport. People selling jewelry at craft shows might know. Maybe one of the IAP members that does craft shows could ask around.

Ed
Ed McDonnell is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads