MPG - 2015 Pictures

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Folks.

Well, this was the first public display of the entire IAP Collection to date. (I will work tomorrow on the MPG "Best of Show" Addition pictures). Congrats to "you know who"!!!

2015 - MPG
(Midwest Penturners Gathering)
Champaign, Illinois. April 17-18

IAP Collection - Initial Display

Any suggestions on the display (NOT my forte), please send me a PM! I am very open to suggestions.

A summary... It was very well received! Folks were thrilled to be able to see and pick up the pens for close admiration. Penturners/Artists... Well Done!

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
What an awesome group of pens! I hope to be able to see them in person someday.

I really like the banner and the little note cards.
Great job, Mark!

stonepecker

Hopefully, someday I might get to see this in person. Until then, pictures are the next best thing. These look wonderful.

Mark, your work is deeply appericated.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Any pictures of the vendors, people attending or demos?

Hi Randy: No, I regret not taking more pictures. Frankly, I was more concerned about watching over the pens; but after the fact, I probably could have wandered more.

I think a designated "photo" person is a great idea, and will be easy to get set up.

Hopefully, a few of the other attendees took some shots.

Dai Sensei

Sorry I haven't seen this previously been busy away travelling and don't get to visit these forums much.

The display looks great. How are they being received? Are the questions more about how they are made, how to get one, or just admiration?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Neil:

Hope all is well in your neck of the world.

Both displays at MPG and MAPG went well. The interest was strong with all level of turners. The beginners asked questions, the experienced turners carefully examined the pens that are similar to theirs. The kitless were popular, as there is a nice variety.

Kurt Hertzog (AAW current President) told me he would save a table next year at the Saratoga Springs Symposium if I could get it there. So I'll need to work on that date (April 1-2, 2016).

There are 35 pens now, so it is a nice number. In a few years when it gets to 45-50+, the display can become a bit more selective if appropriate. I also need to get some wooden cases with glass tops, so they can be in a more protected format when in a crowd. For the MPG and MAPG it was fine for the open trays, but for other venues I suspect more care will be needed.

And yes, some random folks want to buy them... I say I can give them the contact numbers for the artists :tongue:

The Collection is a nice addition to the regional gatherings, definately a conversation starter, and these folks appreciate the time devoted to these works. The craftsmanship and artistry is well admired.

Take care and be well!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I like your warning signs Mark.:)

Thank's John! I was very nervous about folks picking them up, but that was one of the intentions, so ... The pens actually were handled the most by the most experienced turners who really wanted to check out how others did their threading, matched the grain, etc...

The folks at both MPG and MAPG were VERY concientious; many wanted to pick them up, but hesitated. I also had a 1" thick pad under the blue sheet. But for other venues, covered cases will be necessary I suspect.

ANY suggestions will be considered, as noted, I have never done Displays, shows, etc. so all hints will be appreciated (i.e., lint roller).

Best Regards, Mark

More random Thoughts: Many folks liked the small label signs, others thought it was too "busy"

The trays worked fine for 6 pens with space.

A 6' table was fine for about 35-40 pens. If we end up with at least 2 double tray cases (stacked), then a nice display could be upwards of 47-52 pens...

As I said, please make suggestions, this is a long-term project that should be refined to make it as useful as possible. Hopefully, when someone else takes the helm a smooth process will be in place.

On a personal note: I am thrilled to have the Russ Fairfield and "Eagle" pens in the Collection, hopefully as opportunities present themselves, more of our history will be represented. Then again, as time passes, they ALL will:):tongue::) be historical in nature

jttheclockman

Yes Mark as you go forward and this thing really gets some teeth, you may have to go to a tiered system for display such as a jewlery box design. The idea for observers to be able to pick them up and touch them was the whole idea from the start so that needs to be in play. Having a few caution notes around though will help. Accidents happen and it is only a pen so I am sure things can be fixed. Hopefully this never happens. I remember Eagle saying many times when he made a blank for someone and they were all nervous to turn it, he always told them just do it. It is only a pen. I can make more. I never had anyone drop a pen of mine on the floor at a show but they have dropped it on the table. Have to remember these pens are slippery because of the finish and sometimes this may surprise people. Plus the weight of some may take a person by surprise too. Especially if they are the BIC type people.

Maybe have a rubber mat in front of the display so when the stand there thay are standing on it and in case it is dropped it may cushion the fall. They do look good as a collection. Having survived the Maiden voyage I am sure they will be seen and touched by many others. Good job.

Last edited:

Ed McDonnell

For an enclosed display at a non IAP event you could consider using an enclosed revolving display case like they use for watches in the store. Could even be lighted and motorized.

I don't know if there are any made that can break down for transport. People selling jewelry at craft shows might know. Maybe one of the IAP members that does craft shows could ask around.

Ed

Top Bottom