IAP COLLECTION TO ENGLAND !!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
This is very tentative, but actually may occur - if there is any interest.

My wife has needed to travel to Hazelwood, England several times for a project she has worked on - staying several days. I never was able to go with her, but this time I can.

And, she will be in meetings and business dinners, so I can do as I wish. In addition to general sight-seeing, maybe I can share a pint with some penturners and bring the IAP Collection to display.

The potential dates are May 23 -25, and possibly a bit longer. I should have no problem setting some lunch/dinner dates and traveling to some central locations.

Any interest?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Is that Hazelwood just north of Derby? About two hours from me.
It's also not a million miles from one of the UK's better toy shops....Turners Retreat.:biggrin:
Could be a good place to meet up....and stock up...:biggrin:

I'd try really hard to get there just to meet you :rolleyes: and see the collection....:biggrin:

When will you know for sure?

stonepecker

Hey Skip? Does Turners Retreat have a web site? Maybe Mark will be taking orders and shipping/carring things home...........(wink)

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
It's also not a million miles from one of the UK's better toy shops....Turners Retreat.:biggrin:

I'd try really hard to get there just to meet you :rolleyes: and see the collection....:biggrin:

Yes, Wifey (Nancy) will be at a chemical plant in Hazelwood, just north of Derby.

All will depend on her travel arrangements with her employer (Lubrizol) and her bosses. All I can do is wait until she gets the OK and books her travel. As soon as this gets done I'll post again and PM you.

I do plan on driving around and checking the local sights, so within 2-3 hours of Hazelwood is fine.

You folks will have a better idea of a central meeting location, so if this does happen you can simply tell when and where.

Got my fingers crossed!

Wayne: That is a possibility!

bobleibo

Mark
I just got off the phone with your wife. She said you've been working very hard this past year and really deserved some rest and relaxation so she hired me to carry your luggage and protect you from any scurvy rats that you might encounter over there.
When do we leave?

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark
I just got off the phone with your wife. She said you've been working very hard this past year and really deserved some rest and relaxation so she hired me to carry your luggage and protect you from any scurvy rats that you might encounter over there.
When we leave?

My wife traveling with 2 man-servants... Yup, sounds like her :eek::biggrin:

Did she mention that you better like small batch Bourbon if you want to get along with her....

bobleibo

Mark
When we leave?

My wife traveling with 2 man-servants... Yup, sounds like her :eek::biggrin:

Did she mention that you better like small batch Bourbon if you want to get along with her....

It might be tough but I'll suffer through it... I'm packed and ready to go.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Very Cool Mark! :cool:
Any bullet pens in the collection that may raise attention with TSA?
Don't want any getting confiscated. :eek:

No (not yet), but that is an issue. I have an appointment in about 2 weeks to get a TSA fast pass/pre pass. But I will need to see if they can "Pre-Scan" the Pelican Box with the pens ahead of time. Not sure yet, but I have time.

And, I have to get the Collection Insured... Should not be too hard, but another task. But, this is what it was intended to do... Travel! :) So, a few more chores to get done.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Is Hazelwood close to Stone Hinge?

Stonehenge is about 3 hrs South. But at 30 feet tall and 25 tons (for one), my carry-on will be full :) Not to say that they might miss one or two... :)
I used to know how to spell that but, I ......ummm....forgot. I didn't want you to bring one home!! :rolleyes: Just get a real picture of it. :biggrin: You likely won't have time for that though.

Mr Vic

Skip, You're in for a real treat. I had a chance to ogle the collection when I was in Cleveland last month. Meet up with Mark and Jeff for dinner. Had a most excellent time.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Sounds like a great idea. There is a penturners forum in the UK, with the website www.penturners.co.uk . You might want to post a message and just see what the response might be for a meeting for your visit.

Nice thought! If the trip does happen, depending on the timing, I may also contact the store/site that Skip mentioned and see if the have any desire for me to display it there one evening.

(...and you get a private showing my friend!).

Si90

Just round the corner from me, only 10 - 15mins. Would be great to put some faces to names, see the collection possibly and throw a few ideas and suggestions around. Haven't made a pen in months, may just be the nudge I need to find the time.

firewhatfire

I will be in London during that timeframe. I am running the Richmond Park Marathon on the 23rd. No idea how far we would be from Derby. Would like to meet a few Penturners while there.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

Just round the corner from me, only 10 - 15mins. Would be great to put some faces to names, see the collection possibly and throw a few ideas and suggestions around. Haven't made a pen in months, may just be the nudge I need to find the time.

Cheers Simon: I will put you on my list to PM if the plans go through. It all will depend on my wife's work (I'm simply a carry-on, along with Bob :eek:). It would be great to meet you. And YES! Get back to your shop!!! :) We miss your inspiration.

I will be in London during that timeframe. I am running the Richmond Park Marathon on the 23rd. No idea how far we would be from Derby. Would like to meet a few Penturners while there.

Hi Phil: I'll also put you on the PM list. Likewise, it would be nice to meet you! Even if we have to go to England to meet. :rolleyes:

Check back on this thread, as I will post here if it does come to fruition. But I will also PM you as well as Skip.

Be well, Mark

firewhatfire

I will be at Stonehenge on the 22nd of May. I hope to get a few cool pics of it.

Is Hazelwood close to Stone Hinge?

Stonehenge is about 3 hrs South. But at 30 feet tall and 25 tons (for one), my carry-on will be full :) Not to say that they might miss one or two... :)
I used to know how to spell that but, I ......ummm....forgot. I didn't want you to bring one home!! :rolleyes: Just get a real picture of it. :biggrin: You likely won't have time for that though.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Just a quick update.

Unfortunately, my wife will not be sent to England, so the trip is not possible. She was sent to Mexico City, San Francisco, Germany, Switzerland, and France instead.

However - there's always next year!

Cheers.

Top Bottom