The IAP Collection - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > The IAP Collection
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
The IAP Collection Discussions relating to The IAP Collection

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2015, 10:05 AM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Thanks Mark, You are a better man than I !
Old 01-20-2015, 10:54 AM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 387

To all the folks with kind words.. THANK YOU!

But, with your permission, I would like to redirect the nature of this thread to... THE PENS!!!

When all is said and done, my role in this project will be minimal, The guys and gals who produced these works are the ones who deserve the accolades - they have graciously made contributions to this Initial Collection through their artistry, creativity and dedication to IAP and our craft... That is our inspiration.

(Nobody goes to an art museum to be inspired by the curator/caretakers; they go to be inspired by THE ART ).

So, comments, critique, suggestions - Let's figure out how to use, nurture and take care of our "New Tool!"

Minion

The IAP Collection is a permanent collection of pens
that has been established from the
IAP Membership explicitly for the purpose of
public display, preservation and inspiration.
mark james is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-20-2015, 11:07 AM   #23 (permalink)
Big

Photos: 0

Thank you Mark and Jeff!
Big is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2015, 12:14 PM   #24 (permalink)

Photos: 35

Once the collection is well established it would be interesting if arrangements could be made with the major pen shows to have the collection (or a subset) displayed during the shows (under glass with no handling of course). That would expose IAP to collectors as well as makers.

Maybe there would be a subset of the collection that were "travelling show" pens if the entire collection were too much for a show.

Ed
Ed McDonnell is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-20-2015, 12:29 PM   #25 (permalink)

Default First Great Question

Got a PM with this question: How does a pen get included in The Collection?

Going forward, there will be three ways, but first some acknowledgements...

First, the initial contacts (51 members of IAP) was woefully short of all those that deserved to be represented. For that I will simply say that I had to make some choices. If 20 IAP members were asked to come up with a list of 50 pens/turners for a Collection of this nature, I suspect every list would differ in some respects. So, I tried to be inclusive of several criteria, and hoped it would a respectable START..

Second, there are pens "In Design" from the initial contacts that will be automatically added as they are received.

Finally, I anticipate that in 5-10 years this Collection will be a robust 75-100 pens strong, and many of those that are currently deserving will be represented.

So, How does...

The collection as it stands today is just the beginning. It will evolve through the contributions of the forum membership with respect to it’s actual holdings, and future structure and purpose. What is presented today should be considered an initial foundation to build upon. Three methods have been proposed for expansion of the Collection.
  1. Chapter Contributions: When a Local Chapter displays the collection, they become eligible to donate a pen to the collection. The donation may occur any time within one year of the date the collection was displayed at the chapter meeting. This allows the local chapter to “leave their mark” on the collection.
  2. Birthday Bash Contests: Up to two “members choice” contests per year may be selected to be “IAP Collection Contests”. The first place winner from these contests will have the option to have their pen added to the IAP Collection and receive an additional cash prize as compensation. Because the winners are chosen by popular vote, this allows the general membership to have a direct effect in the makeup of the collection.
  3. Solicitation: The Caretaker may recommend that a particular pen be sought, or a specific member be commissioned to provide a pen for the collection. The frequency at which this method is employed will depend on the available funding, the current size of the collection, and other factors. If IAP funds are used to acquire a pen in this way, the Caretaker will involve the general membership, the Collection advisors, or the IAP management team in the decision. This allows the addition of pens from members who do not compete in contests or participate in a local chapter, and will be useful in filling gaps in the Collection.

Several points:

1. The BASH winners have the OPTION... It is NOT a requirement that ANY winner has to give up an award winning pen for an additional prize as a condition for entering any contest. It is simply their option. This may result in some BASH's contributing no pens, and other years several.

2. Anyone can publicly, or privately make suggestions to me, and the future Advisors. I will keep a list of ALL suggestions and a discussion will occur! This started as a one-person activity just to get it started, but now it is a membership/advisory committee responsibility!

3. This is a "Work-In-Progress." If through membership suggestions the structure of the Collection evolves, that is perfectly fine.

4. It did not make the transition in the final editing, but MPG and MAPG should also be included as a "gathering" that can donate pens. We can iron out those specifics.

Thanks for the question Steve!

Old 01-20-2015, 01:26 PM   #26 (permalink)

Photos: 20

Great work Mark. I really like and will support the idea in future years. TEAM WORK !!!!!

joe
wood128 is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-20-2015, 02:27 PM   #27 (permalink)

Photos: 219

I expect that, eventually.....you will need a pretty good sized box to haul the donations to the chapter meetings Still.....it's a great idea
Dalecamino is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-20-2015, 02:57 PM   #28 (permalink)

Photos: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecamino View Post
I expect that, eventually.....you will need a pretty good sized box to haul the donations to the chapter meetings Still.....it's a great idea

I am thinking that some sort of pen carrier will be used to protect the pens. When I had talked to Mark about this idea I think I remember him saying that his goal was to have groups of pens that can make rounds and not one big stash. So amount of pens should not be a problem. The problem or thought I have is that this is a group of pens that are elite in some way or other. Something that makes them stand out above the others. No need to see your basic run of the mill acrylic blanks or wood blanks. This would keep the pen count down somewhat. It should be interesting.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:02 PM   #29 (permalink)
IAP Activities Manager
Emeritus

Photos: 132

Fear not about the transport of the pens. Mark really has thought of everything when it comes to this project, including how they will be transported or shipped. A customized Pelican Case, designed to Mark's specs has been purchased just for that purpose.
mbroberg is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-20-2015, 04:19 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jttheclockman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecamino View Post

I am thinking that some sort of pen carrier will be used to protect the pens. When I had talked to Mark about this idea I think I remember him saying that his goal was to have groups of pens that can make rounds and not one big stash. So amount of pens should not be a problem. The problem or thought I have is that this is a group of pens that are elite in some way or other. Something that makes them stand out above the others. No need to see your basic run of the mill acrylic blanks or wood blanks. This would keep the pen count down somewhat. It should be interesting.
Dale: For displays where I can drive to (or whomever takes over), I would be able to take as many pens as the Chapter/MAPG/MPG requests (all or a few). When (eventually) it is shipped (i.e., Texas chapters; Wisconsin; England) I only suspect a portion will go.

John: You are exactly correct. Today there are 23 pens. When the collection grows to 50-75, there is no need to send the "Excellent Pens" that are within reach of the skill level of many IAP members. It would make more sense to send the "Elite" pens that very obviously stand out from the rest.

While the entire Collection is not a "Best of the Best," A subset of it most certainly will be!

But, another option is that if a chapter is planning a demo on... Kitless pens, they can request the 12-18 Kitless pens; or the 18-20 segmented pens, etc...

There eventually will be many options for the chapters to request.

Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads