Display Case Maker Needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
The

IAP Collection​
Needs a Safe Home when on display!!!

I displayed the IAP Collection at this year's MPG and MAPG, and the functionality of the display was fine (although needs tweaking, and can be improved).

But... The members at these two venues were very conscientious of picking up the pens and handling them. At other venues, we (IAP membership) will need an enclosed/lockable display case - possible two.

As a point: At this years MAPG, I (as an attendee) won as a prize, admission to the AAW Saratoga Springs Woodturning Symposium in NY in April 2016. Kurt Hertzog (a demonstrator at the MAPG) the current President of AAW donated this, and said if I wanted to bring the IAP Collection for display, he would make a table available. (There was no hesitation on my part).

But, at venues like this, a formal enclosed display case is needed!

So... any skilled cabinet makers, finishing carpenters, woodworkers who can tackle a large display case within the membership of IAP ??? I suspect YES!

I am VERY open to suggestions from the membership. This is YOUR Collection's Display!

As a starting point, I'm thinking of something similar to this (Yes, we can buy this, but why not have a member or two make nice cases...) Actually, some curly Maple with Walnut moldings... Let's be creative!

The maker will be compensated for materials, but time/sweat will be for "glory and honor" as the Klingons say... BradG has already volunteered to etch a medallion, and obviously the case maker should have some kind of inscription:

Natural Pine Portable 36" Wood Countertop Display Case | Store Supply

As of now, we have 35 pens. Several more are "In Design" from the initial contacts, and year-by-year 4-6 may be added annually. So I am thinking of a case to display 40 - 50 pens. At select venues, I expect we will display only the "Elite" Holdings as opposed to the entire collection (this is in the future... 4-6 years when the collection may be 60-70+ pens).

Please PM me if you have any interest, and if you can send a possible photograph of similar work. I do not want to offend anyone, but if the final product is not close to what we want as a display, that will be awkward!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Mark: How are you planning to transport these cases ?? Car, van, plane. A lit revolving displace would be quite eye catching while allowing people to look from all sides. Do you have any idea of the size ?? What would you think of a 6 or 8 sided revolving case that would come apart for easy transportation and hold 60 to 80 pens and be about 2" deep ?? I am putting this on your thread instead of PMing you so other people can get an idea of what can be made. Jim S

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Mark

What about the ones from Roy, ClassicNib?
Custom Acrylic Displays : 16x12 Display with child guard

Just a thought...

Harry

Hi Harry: I'll put this on the list of option! Thanks

What about something like a sunglasses rotating display case similar to this Sunglass Hair ETC Rotating Display Case Large | eBay

I've seen them made completely from clear acrylic with doors that lock.

Hi Neil: A more upright display would give a smaller footprint, so it also will be added to the list of options. Hope all is well with you.

Mark: How are you planning to transport these cases ?? Car, van, plane. A lit revolving displace would be quite eye catching while allowing people to look from all sides. Do you have any idea of the size ?? What would you think of a 6 or 8 sided revolving case that would come apart for easy transportation and hold 60 to 80 pens and be about 2" deep ?? I am putting this on your thread instead of PMing you so other people can get an idea of what can be made. Jim S

Hi Jim: I'm thinking of a car for now. IAP paid for a custom Pelican Box for the future possibility of mailing a portion of the collection (40 max, 30-32 more realistic). The picture I linked is 24" x 36" x 4", so that is reasonable for a car. As both Neil and you suggest, an upright display may also be attractive - and with a smaller footprint on a table.

Mark, you shoud contact mmayo his tackleboxes are awesome.http://www.penturners.org/forum/f45/long-range-tackle-box-109420/?highlight=tackleboxI don't see why something like that couldn't be built to display the collection.I don't posess such skills thats why I suggested someone else to build it.

Hi Dale: YES, I have admired those also; forgot about those. I'll check it out.

THANKS for all the suggestions. Keep them coming. We have plenty of time, but not something that we want to figure out in a hurry.

And thank you to the several PM's!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
A second and final Bump!!! ( I'll wait a few more days, then get to work on the suggestions/options). I appreciate any feedback.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have a couple of nice display cases about 30"x30". The have never been used. Let me know if you want 1 or two.

Hi Lou: I would be very interested. If you have any information on the make, I might be able to pull a picture up. Are they anything close to what is pictured in my OP?

Thanks for the response.

I'm just getting ready to leave for our Ohio IAP meeting, so I'll check in tonight.

Top Bottom