Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Pen 12

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Pen 13

Votes: 5 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

D.Oliver

It's what you've been waiting for....here are the entries to Slimline Contest. Please pick your favorite pen. There will be only one round of voting for this contest.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

PEN 1

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

The blank is a Copperhead Snake Skin cast in P.R. The internal parts of a Creekline are all there. The clip and center band were omitted to comply with the contest rules.

D.Oliver

PEN 2

4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

I used a LeRoi Elegant Royale as the model for this project and made all parts as close to the LeRoi dimensions as possible. The black parts are Gabon Ebony, the main body is a piece of highly figured maple and the bands & nib are made from corian. I made it as a closed-end, desk pen so I could avoid using any plated parts. The only kit parts are the slimline tubes, transmission & refill.

D.Oliver

PEN 3

7.jpg8.JPG9.JPG

"Basic Slimline kit. The upper is Alumilite and the lower is PR. The lower barrel is somewhat longer than normal and the upper barrel was turned larger than normal too. This gives the pen a more elegant aura. The lower barrel supports a Brass band to try in well with the upper barrel's bottom built in center band, and also co-ordinates with the custom final. The finial houses a co-ordinating Yin & Yang earring fitted within. Note too, the hidden clip that was powder coated white and opposes the Black nib."

Last edited by a moderator:

D.Oliver

PEN 4

P1050790.jpegP1050802.jpegP1050804.jpeg

It is modeled after a friend of mine who is a hobbyist motorcycle mechanic. The dirty t shirt and hands and holey jeans would be typical for him.

The pen is made of polymer clay, sculpted on the slimline tubes then baked and painted with acrylic paints. The pen uses slimline tubes, transmission, refill and nib. It even has a bit of turning to hide where the lower body joins with the upper body.

D.Oliver

PEN 6

15.jpg14.jpg13.jpg

One piece, closed end, hidden clip gun metal slimline with a black line spalted maple burl blank.

D.Oliver

PEN 8

19.jpg20.jpg

I used the nib and finial for this pen.

Blank is segmented by me out of cherry, maple, and walnut. There are1,407 pieces in the blank.

D.Oliver

PEN 10

23.png24.png25.png

Buck and a Quarter

Buck and a quarter plus a dime formed for use as a center band that shows a glimpse of reading at the upper barrel and the inscription "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA ONE DIME" around the circumference of the center band. The band was made first then the pen was designed to fit the center band.

The upper barrel includes graphics from a US Dollar featuring George Washington on one side and a Duke Ellington quarter on the other side. The quarter appears to be floating above the graphic elements and provides a frame for George Washington.

The lower barrel also include two layers of graphics from a one dollar bill. The outer layer appears to be floating with the reverse side of the pyramid and note graphic visible.

The two end pieces were made to complete the pen.

D.Oliver

PEN 12

29.jpg30.jpg

Body is Spalted Tamarind.
Nose cone, center band, and finial are Argentine Lignum Vitae dyed black.
Clip is maple dyed black.

D.Oliver

PEN 13

31.JPG32.JPG33.JPG

This pen features the 7mm tubes and the 7mm mechanism. The tubes are wrapped in birdseye maple. The finial, tip, center band and clip are all out of cocobolo.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow !!!! What an amazing set of entries !!!:eek: Every one of them is a winner in my book. Very well done to all that entered:biggrin:

....and for Derek, for his great hosting and having to put up with those other bullies....:biggrin:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
This has got to be one of the toughest choices I have ever had to make. There are so many outstanding pens here.

D.Oliver

Wow !!!! What an amazing set of entries !!!:eek: Every one of them is a winner in my book. Very well done to all that entered:biggrin:

....and for Derek, for his great hosting and having to put up with those other bullies....:biggrin:

Thanks Steven, and once again thank you for the wonderful pen. Best bribe ever!

D.Oliver

PEN #3 UPDATE

Here is a description pm'd to me in regards to pen #3.

"Basic Slimline kit. The upper is Alumilite and the lower is PR. The lower barrel is somewhat longer than normal and the upper barrel was turned larger than normal too. This gives the pen a more elegant aura. The lower barrel supports a Brass band to try in well with the upper barrel's bottom built in center band, and also co-ordinates with the custom final. The finial houses a co-ordinating Yin & Yang earring fitted within. Note too, the hidden clip that was powder coated white and opposes the Black nib."

Last edited by a moderator:

seamus7227

View attachment 120776View attachment 120777View attachment 120778

Buck and a Quarter

Buck and a quarter plus a dime formed for use as a center band that shows a glimpse of reading at the upper barrel and the inscription "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA ONE DIME" around the circumference of the center band. The band was made first then the pen was designed to fit the center band.

The upper barrel includes graphics from a US Dollar featuring George Washington on one side and a Duke Ellington quarter on the other side. The quarter appears to be floating above the graphic elements and provides a frame for George Washington.

The lower barrel also include two layers of graphics from a one dollar bill. The outer layer appears to be floating with the reverse side of the pyramid and note graphic visible.

The two end pieces were made to complete the pen.

Definitely an excellent way to think outside the box! Whoever this belongs to, bravo for being brave!

stonepecker

I can't pick just ONE.........They are all super pens.:bulgy-eyes:

This is going to take some time. How long before the voting closes?:confused::question:

To all the entries ..... "Well Done."
And to Derek..... "You did an alright job also :rolleyes::biggrin:.....be nice and they might let you run it again.":wink:

Dale Lynch

I have to agree with everyone else.There's some serious talent here.Gonna take some time to look them over again and again before I can vote in this one.

Chuck Key

Wow, how do you pick a winner from these entries.

Derek pretty much covered this for us when he set out rule nine:

9. Pens will be voted upon by IAP members. The criteria that should be considered in both the making of the pen and when voting should be....

WOW factor
Creativity
Difficulty
Fit and Finish

One way would be to assign a 1 to 10 value to each of the criteria. So pen X might rank:

10 WOW factor
10 Creativity
10 Difficulty
10 Fit and Finish

for a total of 40 while Pen Y might rank 9 for each criteria for a total of 36. In this example Pen X would receive the higher total and receive the vote.

stonepecker

Using the above way to rate the pens........I still have 3 pens getting a perfect score in my eyes.

This is clearly the contest to win. The skill and talent should make Derek very proud to be running this contest. I truly believe that that there should have been two rounds of voting for this contect as the skilll level is so very high between all of the pens.

I am going to have to keep looking and thinking.......this is one vote I won't be rushed into.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

Using the above way to rate the pens........I still have 3 pens getting a perfect score in my eyes.

This is clearly the contest to win. The skill and talent should make Derek very proud to be running this contest. I truly believe that that there should have been two rounds of voting for this contect as the skilll level is so very high between all of the pens.

I am going to have to keep looking and thinking.......this is one vote I won't be rushed into.

Wayne, It was very close to being two rounds. I decided that if I got over fifteen entries I would do two rounds of voting. Even with two rounds you're still facing the same problem trying to pick one. It just gets delayed until the second round. My best advice is take your time. This poll doesn't close until the 24th @ 4:55 pm. There's no doubt about it, it's a difficult choice.

Top Bottom