Summer Extravaganza Casting Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Casters

To the Extravaganza casting contest. Here's your chance to show your stuff.

There are some rules to follow and, are subject to change, deletion or, modification by the chairman or, other management. Entries will be accepted beginning Aug. 01, 2014 and, will close acceptance at 10:00 PM EST Aug.18,2014

Rules:

1. Cast your own blank

2 - This is a PEN turning forum. Each submission must be made into a pen! All submissions must be a component pen (kit). There are no restrictions on type or style as long as it is a component pen. We hope to see Rollerballs, Fountain pens, and other "Prestigious" component sets. We want to see your best casts shine! Component-less pens or kit modifications will not be eligible (including swapped out pimp stones, center bands, and finial tops).

3 - To enter the contest send an email with 3 photos of your completed pen to dalecamino@gmail.com. Include your IAP username and, real name. Remember that you will be judged based on your photographs submitted. Limit of 3 photographs. Please keep your photos clean of objects that could distract from your pens beauty.

4 - Any pen shown publicly (Not just on IAP) prior to Aug. 01, 2014 will be ineligible. Also any entry shown publicly during the bash on ANY public site will be disqualified. Do NOT post your pen in the thread!

5 - Pens made with the aid of lasers, decorative lathes or CNC machines will be ineligible. We want to see unique & creative pens made by YOU!

6 - The pen AND blank must be made ONLY by the person submitting the entry.

Who Determines the Winners?:

A public poll will be created for your peers to vote. The first poll will begin Aug. 19, 2014 and, end Aug. 23, 2014 The Run Off poll will then begin Aug. 24, 2014 and, will end Aug. 30, 2014

Prizes
First Place -$50 gift certificate from The Classic Nib and $50 Gift certificate Through IAP

Second place- $30 gift certifcate from Robutacion

Third Place -Box of blanks from Edohmann

user_online.gif

user_online.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Ed McDonnell

Decorative lathes, lasers and cnc are all out. That's too bad, but you get to make the rules and we get to live by the rules. But when your rule says

"We want to see unique & creative pens made by YOU!"

I'm left wondering about a new approach that I've been working on. I've been genetically modifying formosan termites and using positive reinforcement training to get them to chew wood into artistically carved shapes that can be cast into pen blanks. While the termites will do most of the work carving the wood to be cast, I did a lot of work in genetically modifying them and training them to eat the wood just the right way. Would that count as a "pen made by YOU" (aka me) or not?

Ed

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Decorative lathes, lasers and cnc are all out. That's too bad, but you get to make the rules and we get to live by the rules. But when your rule says

I'm left wondering about a new approach that I've been working on. I've been genetically modifying formosan termites and using positive reinforcement training to get them to chew wood into artistically carved shapes that can be cast into pen blanks. While the termites will do most of the work carving the wood to be cast, I did a lot of work in genetically modifying them and training them to eat the wood just the right way. Would that count as a "pen made by YOU" (aka me) or not?

Ed
As long as YOU cast it in resin. Keep on training those little devils.:biggrin:

Joe S.

Ed

I think that was the wrong answer...

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

Ed

What is wrong with the answer?

Ed McDonnell

Ed

Don't worry about him. He's just jealous because he hasn't been able to train his chicken to peck anything into interesting shapes for casting :biggrin:. And then there was the embedded fried chicken blank disaster that he doesn't want to talk about. :wink:

I wonder if he could do something interesting with some rooster molds he has that wouldn't run afowl of the rules.

Ed

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

Ed

Don't worry about him. He's just jealous because he hasn't been able to train his chicken to peck anything into interesting shapes for casting :biggrin:. And then there was the embedded fried chicken blank disaster that he doesn't want to talk about. :wink:

I wonder if he could do something interesting with some rooster molds he has that wouldn't run afowl of the rules.

Ed
Wow! I didn't know anything about all of that. :redface: Thanks Ed!:biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Soooo, as it turns out, I will be entering this contest after all!
That's good news! Looking forward to your entry.:wink:

Pen is done. Now for the hard part. Getting a good photo. Will wait until I get the pens done for the rollerball and slimline contests. Not ready for kitless just yet.
Don't let the kitless hype interfere. There are plenty of component pens that will blow MOST kitless pens out of the water. Let's hope yours is one of them. Good luck and, thanks for joining in the fun.:wink:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
How about "Tube-On" castings?

From the rules:

2 - This is a PEN turning forum. Each submission must be made into a pen! All submissions must be a component pen (kit). There are no restrictions on type or style as long as it is a component pen. We hope to see Rollerballs, Fountain pens, and other "Prestigious" component sets. We want to see your best casts shine! Component-less pens or kit modifications will not be eligible (including swapped out pimp stones, center bands, and finial tops).

Marko50

Yup, I'm in!

From the rules:

…I'll take that as a "yes". Thanks

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

From the rules:

…I'll take that as a "yes". Thanks
"YES" you're welcome. Have fun!:biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Top Bottom