BALL POINT PEN CONTEST

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

Ball Point Pen Contest Rules

The ball point contest will highlight a different ballpointpen every year. This year's featured penwill be my personal favorite, the Cigar.
This type of Cigar....
67725d1326916096-just-another-segmented-pen-segmented-1.jpg

NOT this type....
75888d1337889490-illusion-hrb-hbr-illusion-3458.jpg

So here are the rules

1. You must use a ball point cigar pen kit, noother pen kits are allowed. You may do slight modifications to the kit, but it should be recognizable as a cigar kit.

2. To keep the playing field level…..

Metal lathe – yes
Wood lathe – yes
Ornamental or rose engine lathe - no
CNC – no

3. Blanks for thiscontest must be (A) a commercially available pen blank or (B) a pen blank youmade yourself from raw materials where your personal work represents themajority of the work required to create the blank.

4. The pen cannot have been previously shown in anypublic forum and cannot be shown in any public forum until the contest iscompleted.

5. The deadline: Monday8/18/2014 at 8pm MDT

6. To enter the contest, please email up to three photos to D.Oliver.IAP@gmail.com. Please putBall Point Contest in the subject heading.

7. Pens will be voted upon by IAP members. The criteria that should be considered inboth the making of the pen and when voting:
    • WOW Factor
    • Creativity
    • Difficulty
    • Fit and Finish

Prizes

First Place - $50 gift certificate from the Classic Nib, and $50 gift certificate through IAP
Second Place - bolt action pen kits from Smitty's Pen Works
Third Place - $30 gift cetifcate from Robutacion

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

Chrome cigar kits are on special for $3.90 at woodturningz. At that price you might as well enter two pens in the contest!

D.Oliver

Chrome cigar kits are on special for $3.90 at woodturningz. At that price you might as well enter two pens in the contest!

Okay so it turns out entering two pens is against the rules. Gees, who comes up with these rules anyway?:redface:

Ed McDonnell

Brand New Contest Announced

Not much action in this contest thread. Let's try something new here. A contest within a contest. The rules couldn't be any simpler. All you have to do is post a reply here explaining why members should enter the kitless contest. The post that gets the most likes wins. The contest is open until it closes, unless we decide to do something different.

The prize(*1) will be a prototype of the new invisible rooster pen blank that Joe is developing in his secret lab.

Ed

(*1) the use of the word prize should not be interpreted to mean that you will actually receive anything or that anything you do or don't receive will have any value or that it will not trigger a visit from law enforcement in which case you assume all liability and indemnify the IAP, contest organizers, sponsors, members and everyone else on the planet (except you). Should Joe manage to actually develop his invisible rooster pen blank, you will pretty much have to take his word for it that he actually sent it to you if you win the prize (*1) because it's....you know....invisible......

Brian G

Joe better not copycat my invisible rooster pen blank. :mad:

I think members should enter the kitless pen contest so that you contest headeruppers get into a knock-down, drag-out ink squirtting fight over whose contest is cooler.

We all know which one it is.

Ed McDonnell

Joe better not copycat my invisible rooster pen blank. :mad:

I think members should enter the kitless pen contest so that you contest headeruppers get into a knock-down, drag-out ink squirtting fight over whose contest is cooler.

We all know which one it is.

Wait a minute. You changed to a Rooster? Everyone thought you were going with a chicken. Are you sure it's not a chicken?

Ed

Brian G

Positive as a cation.

I have big plans that will probably go to waste in a cataclysmic failure, and leave me quivering in shame and anxiety. What could be better than that?

Ed McDonnell

Positive as a cation.

I have big plans that will probably go to waste in a cataclysmic failure, and leave me quivering in shame and anxiety. What could be better than that?

Hey!!! Don't waste those good ideas in this contest. I'm assuming your big idea involves using your stash of cations (just don't let PETA hear about your plan for cations (or the rooster / chicken frankenfowl you are working on)). Obviously, if you have a big pile of cations you also have a big pile of anions. Cast those babies into two different blanks. Use one for the body and one for the cap. BAM!!!! Self closing pen with no magnets (and no clunky threads). How cool is that. Works in either the casting or kitless contest. I hope I haven't said too much.......

Ed

Ed McDonnell

Guess what I just found!! A youtube video on how to make a cigar(*1) pen with neutrons!!! Whodathunk???? Here's the link:

Neutron Cigar Pen Techniques

Ed

(*1) The more detail oriented of you will likely notice the video is cigarette and not cigar, but almost everyone here is smart enough to see that an easy subsitution could be made......

Krash

So, when you say " You may do slight modifications to the kit, but it should be recognizable as a cigar kit.", what are you really saying? How many mods can I do? Closed end? No center band? Does that make the cigar unrecognizable?

Inquiring minds ......

D.Oliver

Kelly I'm going to give you a politicians answer on this one. Basically I'm going to leave it up to you. Just realized that the IAP membership will be doing the voting so try and keep it within what most people would consider slight modification. In your example I would say a pen with closed end is fine. A pen with no center band is also fine. A pen with a closed end and no center band......well some people might feel that has wondered too far off course and you could possibly be losing some votes. Or maybe you won't. It could be that everyone will love your bold design choice and you'll win by a landslide. How's that for talking in circles?

rblakemore

New turner to try this

OK, I have been turning pens about a year. And been part of IAP since March of this year.
So, clarify the rules (and politics?) on this please and I think that I will try this!!
Do I just submit pictures when I have a Cigar pen ready?? I can submit only one pen; but, multiple pictures??

Krash

Kelly I'm going to give you a politicians answer on this one. Basically I'm going to leave it up to you. Just realized that the IAP membership will be doing the voting so try and keep it within what most people would consider slight modification. In your example I would say a pen with closed end is fine. A pen with no center band is also fine. A pen with a closed end and no center band......well some people might feel that has wondered too far off course and you could possibly be losing some votes. Or maybe you won't. It could be that everyone will love your bold design choice and you'll win by a landslide. How's that for talking in circles?

Thanks Derek. Perfectly clear. You have my vote!

Dale Lynch

Well if you would stop procrastinating I wouldn't have to go to such extremes to get some competition in here.If it makes you feel any better, my mind is fort knox,nuthin gets in.

rblakemore

Resemble cigar pen?!?!

1. You must use a ball point cigar pen kit, no other pen kits are allowed. You may do slight modifications to the kit, but it should be recognizable as a cigar kit.

OK, I want to try this again please. What does modifications to the kit mean?? The kit is the metal component pieces - correct?? So some mods can be made to the metal??? I just saw Ron Hassock's guide to a one piece cigar, does that resemble a cigar?? How similar to the cigar outline is necessary?? With a little effort almost any material can be made to fit as a one piece cigar

D.Oliver

OK, I have been turning pens about a year. And been part of IAP since March of this year.
So, clarify the rules (and politics?) on this please and I think that I will try this!!
Do I just submit pictures when I have a Cigar pen ready?? I can submit only one pen; but, multiple pictures??

When you get a pen done, please email up to three pictures to D.Oliver.IAP@gmail.com. Please include Ball Point Contest in the subject line. You can only submit one pen per contest. You can submit a pen to every contest though. Sorry I missed this post and didn't answer this question earlier.

D.Oliver

1. You must use a ball point cigar pen kit, no other pen kits are allowed. You may do slight modifications to the kit, but it should be recognizable as a cigar kit.

OK, I want to try this again please. What does modifications to the kit mean?? The kit is the metal component pieces - correct?? So some mods can be made to the metal??? I just saw Ron Hassock's guide to a one piece cigar, does that resemble a cigar?? How similar to the cigar outline is necessary?? With a little effort almost any material can be made to fit as a one piece cigar

I'm sorry. I worded that poorly. Instead of say you may modify the kit, I should have said you may do sight modifications to the pen. Here are a few, but certainly not all, examples of what I had in mind. These were all created by Hilltopper46.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/cocobolo-modified-cigars-113863/
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/antler-modified-cigar-84704/
http://www.penturners.org/forum/att...7-slightly-modified-cigar-koa-wood-pen590.jpg

You may modify the metal parts though like in the example of the one piece cigar. My intention was to give people a little more room for creativity while still having the pen be recognizeable as originating from a cigar pen kit. One of the nice things about the cigar pen kit is that the compenents are fairly distinct, especially the nib, finial, and clip. Therefore I felt that a component or two could be modified or eliminated and people would still be able to tell it was from a cigar kit. As far as your question of how similiar to to the cigar outline....I don't think there is a clear cut answer to that. I personly feel that Ron's pen is still identifiable as a cigar kit, but others may not. Who's to say who's right? I hope I answered you question. If I didn't, please keep asking questions here or if you prefer PM me.

rblakemore

Questions answered

Thanks, especially for your patience and understanding. I come from a work environment where everything is more than absolutely clear!! These answers work; I have a lot of medical issues in front of me; but, will do my best to enter a pen.

D.Oliver

Folks I'm trying to send a conformation email for all the entries I have gotten. If you haven't gotten a reply from me after a couple of days of sending in your entry, get a hold of me. You can post in the thread or PM.

D.Oliver

Okay as of this moring I am caught up on the entries, so if you have not got an email from me confirming your entry into the contest get in touch with me (email or pm). We still have a couple hours of let and I think I can still squeeze a few more entires into the contest

D.Oliver

Folks, I want to thank you all for your hard work getting your entries in. Much appreciated. I working on the voting poll and hopefully it will be up shortly. Thanks again, without your great pens backing me up, I couldn't talk nearly as much crap to the kitless crew.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Mark it will be in this forum in a new thread but because of the way the contest forum was set up we cant generate the polls here. We have to do it in the planning forum which is different and then have them moved here for us. I have asked if they can change that but it may not make any difference in the short time we will be doing this.

Top Bottom