Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Pen #17

Votes: 45 23.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Voting Time for the Antler, Bone and Horn Pen Contest

We have 17 fantastic entries to choose from. Voting will end on Feb 20. The top five vote getters will advance to the final round on Feb 22

The prizes for this contest are:

1st place --- Box of Blanks from vanngo5d valued at $200

2nd place--- A silver euro pen kit from Silver Pen Parts valued at $120

3rd place--- A Jr Gent blank from Capt G valued at $75

Your choices are below. The descriptions were provided by the entrants.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Pen #1

Pen #1 -
Full size Emperor Fountain Pen with Horn from a Dall Sheep in Alaska. It does have a different smell from some other antlers I have used but stinks none the less.
#1a.jpg

#1b.jpg

#1c.jpg

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Pen #2

Pen #2

Canadiana pen kit, sterling silver with black titanium accents. Section of moose antler that is almost pure white. Pen is intended as a gift for a friend

#2a.jpg

#2b.jpg

#2c.jpg

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Pen #3

Pen #3

This is a hand shaped brow tine antler pen on a chrome PSI Cartridge Click pen. It is very comfortable to hold and write with. I turned the ends, carefully avoiding the rotating brow tine, then shaped the body using a combination of belt sanders and hand sanding. It is polished up to 400 grit and buffed out on a cloth buffing wheel.

#3a.jpg

#3b.jpg

#3c.jpg

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Pen #5

Pen #5

This a PSI Sculpted kit, with white tail antler harvested off of family property in XXXXX, XX. The pen was a gift for my Dad.

#5.jpg

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Pen #6

Pen #6

Atrax Chrome Fountain Pen. 100% Deer Antler from a friend's ranch. Item #1 of a set of 3. (Fnt./RB/Ball) Used a light coat of CA just to seal the pores.No other finish.

#6a.jpg

#6b.jpg

#6c.jpg

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Pen #7

Pen #7

Pen kit: Majestic Roller Ball - Rhodium & Black Ti Blank: 100% Elk antler Finish: CA Details: Antler was radial cut. Stabilized with CA, drill, and tubed. Special attention was kept to keep the cancellous bone in line so that the aesthetic appeal was not lost. Finish to an extremely high gloss. A very attractive full sized pen.

#7a.jpg

#7b.jpg

#7c.jpg

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Pen #8

Pen #8

I wanted to do something different that what I normally see with antler. This is a single piece of deer antler with black walnut bands inserted. Finish is CA. Components are black titanium Zen.

#8a.jpg

#8b.jpg

#8c.jpg

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Pen #9

Pen #9

Chrome JR Gent FP kit, made from Bison Horn. This pen is not from the solid tip of the Bison's horn. I made this pen from a section where the marrow bone (white) and the horn's core (black) is separating from each other. This is still all covered by the outer skin of the horn. To keep the white bone and the inner core from splitting, I cut it to Âľ "squire and cast in clear PR under 30PSI. The pressure helped the PR to penetrate into the layers of the bone and the core to make it solid. This enabled me to drill it. Turning it took away the PR except what was pressed into the layers to keep the bone and the core together. Finish with CA and buffed with white diamond and carnauba wax.

#9a.jpg

#9b.jpg

#9c.jpg

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Pen #10

Pen #10

This pen consists of white tail deer antler and buffalo horn on a Berea Hardwood pen kit #4177/f+v-ss-1 series 2000 Flat Top American Fountain Pen - Pearl Silver and finished with 8 coats of CA.

#10a.jpg

#10b.jpg

#10c.jpg

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Pen #12

Pen #12

This is a Jr. Gent II dressed in fossilized whale bone and segmented with sea green acrylic. Umpteen coats of ca to keep the bone together and mm'ed to 12k with 2 coats of Hut ultragloss and 2 coats of Ren. wax.

#12a.jpg

#12b.jpg

#12c.jpg

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Pen #13

Pen #13

This is a Black Titanium Long Click kit. The blank was made from cow horn, moose antler, deer antler, and some aluminum from a beer can. From either end to the center, the order is: vertically segmented horn, aluminum, moose antler, aluminum, horn, aluminum, then deer antler split lengthwise with aluminum and horn in the middle.

#13a.jpg

#13b.jpg

#13c.jpg

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Pen #15

Pen #15

This pen is made from a cross section of Elk Antler trimmed with Water Buffalo Horn rings. The CA finish is polished to perfection. The pen is set in Chrome Sedona Fountain Pen components.

#15a.jpg

#15b.jpg

#15c.jpg

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Pen #16

Pen #16

This was one of my first antler pens and I also think that it turned out the best for me. The grain in this particular deer antler was awesome to see when completed. Sanded to 12000 mm and 10 coats of ca to give it a good shine. No deer was killed or harmed during the making of this pen.

#16a.jpg

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Pen #17

Pen #17

Pieces of Antler cast in black resin with a touch of pearl pigment. Arrangement of pieces makes interesting visual effect. Churchill FPN in sterling silver with Heritance nib.

Attachments

• #17a.jpg
    #17a.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 592
  • #17b.jpg
    #17b.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 528
  • #17c.jpg
    #17c.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 513
Interesting one for me because I don't really like these types of materials. However you can't deny that these have yielded some spectacular results. Congratulations to all who entered. Well done.

Ed McDonnell

There is not a bad pen in the bunch. But there was one that really caught my eye and just sang to me. I enjoyed looking at all the pictures. All the hard work and attention to detail really shows.

Ed

Pitoon

Some really awesome looking pens! Congrats to all that made the deadline!

......but i do have one question, the rules mentioned....

"We would like to keep the entries anonymous through the use of the entry form. Your photos need to be on a plain solid color background with no props other than a clear plastic pen stand."

Yet i see pictures with props? Did the rules change? If we're not going to abide by the rules, then why have rules in the first place?

.....my 2 cents.

Pitoon

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Just about 24 more hours to cast your vote. The top 5 (or more if there is a tie) will move on to the final round of voting.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
The 5 finalists will be :
Pen1
Pen 2
Pen 3
Pen 9
Pen 17

I'll post the poll for the Finals in the contest tomorrow night.

Top Bottom