Votes: 26 12.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ed McDonnell

4th Annual Russ Fairfield Memorial Modified Slimline Contest

* * * THE FINALS * * *

Generously Sponsored by

Brooks Blanks

The competition was fierce. 32 worthy competitors entered the ring and after many days of careful assessment and judgement by the IAP community, 5 have been selected to go head to head as finalists. The 5 finalist pens are displayed below in the order in which they were originally entered in the contest. They retain their designated entry number from the previous poll. Note the entry number of your choice and select it above to vote.

Those who did not make it into the finals should take pride in knowing that their work was enjoyed and appreciated by those who had the opportunity to view it during the initial competition. You can cherish your creation and give it a place of honor in your personal collection or brighten someone's day by gifting them a little piece of yourself. Whatever you choose to do with the pen you created, you will always retain the experience you gained through the competition and hopefully will have fond memories of this experience through the years.

Voting will close on Monday February 24. Winners will be announced on February 25.

The prizes for this contest are:

1st place $150.00 worth of Brooks Blanks
2nd Place $100.00 worth of Brooks Blanks
3rd Place $75.00 worth of Brooks Blanks
4th Place $50.00 worth of Brooks Blanks

Good luck to the five finalists and to the members who must choose between them.

Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

Entry #1

Pictures (Click on the thumbnails to see larger pictures):

Attachments

• 01_1.jpg
    01_1.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 1,150
  • 01_2.jpg
    01_2.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 339
  • 01_3.jpg
    01_3.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 360

Ed McDonnell

Entry #7

Attachments

• 07_1.jpg
    07_1.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 357
  • 07_2.jpg
    07_2.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 1,088
  • 07_3.jpg
    07_3.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 331

Ed McDonnell

Entry #12

Attachments

• 12_1.jpg
    12_1.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 345
  • 12_2.jpg
    12_2.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 333
  • 12_3.jpg
    12_3.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 314

Ed McDonnell

Entry #14

Attachments

• 14_1.jpg
    14_1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 1,154
  • 14_2.jpg
    14_2.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 335

Ed McDonnell

Entry #31

Attachments

• 31_1.jpg
    31_1.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 312
  • 31_2.jpg
    31_2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,103

Ed McDonnell

In case you missed it last night, the 4th Annual Russ Fairfield MMSC FINALS voting is underway. Make sure you vote for your favorite.

Ed

Ed McDonnell

Voting on just these five is no easier than the original 32. Congrats to the finalists and all who entered.

Hi Chris - Sure, it's hard to pick a winner. But that's because they are all so good. Imagine if the choice was hard because they were all so bad.
Fortunately, we don't know anything about that kind of situation here at the

4th Annual Russ Fairfield Memorial Modified Slimline Contest

* * * THE FINALS * * *

Generously Sponsored by

Brooks Blanks

where quality entries are our stock in trade. Not only do we have quality, we have quantity. Sure it makes voting tough, but you can't get this kind of exposure to the art of pen making anywhere else.

For those who want to see quality pens and who are tough enough to make the tough voting choices, you come to the contest that's the best (I'm talking about this one, of course, just in case there is any doubt in anybody's mind).

For those who want easy voting choices and aren't really picky about what kind of pens you will spend your time looking at, that's what all those other contests are for.

So, do you want the best or will you settle for the rest? If you want the best you have to work for it. Make those tough voting choices now and get those votes in.

Ed

Last edited:

Ed McDonnell

As my signature says, I voted TWICE!! That's right, two votes!!!!!

One for the first round of 32, and once for a finalist :biggrin:

Thanks for all your votes. And thanks for limiting yourself to 2 votes. I know with all that Chicago Style Pizza you have consumed that you must have also picked up some other Chicago habits. :biggrin: Thanks for resisting the temptation to vote early AND often.

I also want to thank you for proudly wearing the "I Voted For Russ" badge during the Bash. I put so much time and effort into designing it that I'm delighted to see it in circulation. Although it does look like someone defaced yours with some digital graffiti. :eek: Darn hackers!!! Probably some rogues from the Trivia Contest looking to stir up trouble.

Ed

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
There is some real talent shown here. I had one I liked more than the others so It was quick and easy. But im kinda slow and simple.....:biggrin:

Ed McDonnell

This race is super close. If it were a timed vent in the olympics we would be looking at hundreths of a second to determine winners. Every pen is separated from at least one other pen by no more than 2 votes. We are talking 1 or no vote gaps in some cases.

Ed

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Voted - since my pen didn't make the cut, I got to vote for the one that I would have voted for in the first round if I had cast an objective vote that time, so it didn't take me long to decide.

This contest was loads of fun & I'm already thinking about my entry for next year.

Ed McDonnell

Voted - since my pen didn't make the cut, I got to vote for the one that I would have voted for in the first round if I had cast an objective vote that time, so it didn't take me long to decide.

This contest was loads of fun & I'm already thinking about my entry for next year.

It's funny how when you are looking at a group of really nice pens that sometimes there is just something about one of them that just really catches your eye.

Glad you enjoyed the contest. You can never start too early on a contest pen. The problem is that if you finish really early you can't show it to anybody for a long time.

Ed

Ed McDonnell

There all Awesome. Maybe just do 5 first places.

They are all awesome, but some of them will be judged by the community to be just a little bit more awesome than the others. After all the hard work, somebody deserves to say "I won the 4th Annual Russ Fairfield Memorial Modified Slimline Contest".

You never hear people shouting "we are one of five!!". No, they shout "WE ARE NUMBER ONE!!!". It's good to be number one. Those who won't be number one this time have a reason to strive to do better next time.

Ed

Ed McDonnell

Same here, first round was easy, as I knew EXACTLY which pen was getting MY vote. :biggrin:

This time I had to actually look at the other entries....:eek::crying:

Yeah, that having to actually look at the other pens before you vote always slows things down. :wink: If only things had been a little different in the last vote you could have had just as easy a time voting in the finals. Of course there are 26 other guys saying the same thing......:biggrin:

Ed

Ed McDonnell

Tough choice for the final, but I selected the second best one of all 32. :wink:

What a great contest, and I'll do it again next year.

Maybe we should add a contest prize for "best pen that not enough people recognized". Could be tough to judge though....

Ed

Ed McDonnell

134 votes counted. If we get the same voter turnout for the final as we had for the preliminary then we still have 86 missing votes.

First and second place seem to be sorting themselves out, although I would not be surprised to see the lead change hands at least once more.

Third and fourth place are a real dogfight. It's just too close to call and anybody could place.

Still plenty of time to vote, but if you are one of the 86 why not just go ahead and pull the lever in the ballot box?

Ed

Who wonders "if the olympics had a fourth place medal, what would it be made out of........?".

Dan Masshardt

134 votes counted. If we get the same voter turnout for the final as we had for the preliminary then we still have 86 missing votes. First and second place seem to be sorting themselves out, although I would not be surprised to see the lead change hands at least once more. Third and fourth place are a real dogfight. It's just too close to call and anybody could place. Still plenty of time to vote, but if you are one of the 86 why not just go ahead and pull the lever in the ballot box? Ed Who wonders "if the olympics had a fourth place medal, what would it be made out of........?".

Keep posting in the other forum to get them here.

You're doing a good job Ed. You be in charge before long. :)

Ed McDonnell

134 votes counted. If we get the same voter turnout for the final as we had for the preliminary then we still have 86 missing votes. First and second place seem to be sorting themselves out, although I would not be surprised to see the lead change hands at least once more. Third and fourth place are a real dogfight. It's just too close to call and anybody could place. Still plenty of time to vote, but if you are one of the 86 why not just go ahead and pull the lever in the ballot box? Ed Who wonders "if the olympics had a fourth place medal, what would it be made out of........?".

Keep posting in the other forum to get them here.

You're doing a good job Ed. You be in charge before long. :)

Now that's a scary thought. The days of me wanting to be in charge of anything are long gone.

We'll have to see what kind of voting interest I can drum up this weekend.

Ed

Ed McDonnell

Yep. You found it. This is the place. This is where you vote in the Russ Fairfield Finals. Check out the pictures at the beginning of this thread and vote for your favorite.

Ed

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Now head on over to the Advanced Pen voting and make sure you vote there also.:biggrin:

This message brought to you by that entry Stealing varmint DEREK!

Ed McDonnell

Anyone planning on not voting, please raise your hand so we can get an accurate count.

We have 166 voters, but we are waiting for at least another 56 (less any who raise their hand as requested above). If you are one of the 56 (or you didn't vote in the initial poll), please feel free to vote at any time. Any time before the poll closes that is.

Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom