Votes: 27 14.1%
  • Pen Marketing Photo Entry 21

Votes: 20 10.4%
  • Pen Marketing Photo Entry 22

Votes: 6 3.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

plano_harry

:eek: WOW! I can't believe I won this! Did I really win?? I thought I had a shot at 3rd or 2nd, but didn't think I would win. Some serious competition here. Thanks so much to Todd for running the contest and Timberbits for the generous (and stylish) prize!

Harry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

Good Day I'm avbill or my friends call me Bill. I'm a retired photographer with 25 years in commercial photography. I was also a National judge for PPA.

If any of the contestants would like to take their photograph of their entry to the next level PM me with the photo. I'll be away from my computer from Mar 2 to Mar 12th I have a date with some doctors.

Except one photograph there are different things that would help every contestant produce a better marketing photo.

edstreet

:eek: WOW! I can't believe I won this! Did I really win?? I thought I had a shot at 3rd or 2nd, but didn't think I would win. Some serious competition here. Thanks so much to Todd for running the contest and Timberbits for the generous (and stylish) prize!

Harry

well done Harry. I knew I would be stealing that idea from whomever did it. It is a great marketing tool..

Don't take this wrong but I have 2 questions.

1) how exactly is this a marketing photo?

2) is this even a complete pen as the description makes it sound like it is just pen parts?

plano_harry

Thanks Phil, you are welcome to it. The idea just popped into my head (maybe my first original thought:eek:) I usually get my inspiration from you pioneers. Was originally thinking of using multiple blanks in various states of turn to illustrate the process for shows. This was much cheaper :biggrin:

This was a gnarly piece of - I think Spanish Oak, that I salvaged from the unburned remnants of our campfire. After removing the char, the wood looked pretty good. This was my first go at stabilizing using the rig I won last year from Curtis!

Harry

firewhatfire

I am constantly asked how a pen is made. I can do this and have it on hand to show from start to finish.

I saw one that just used a blank once and thought it was neat idea. This takes it to a new level at least for me.

Of course I am a simple thinking guy.:smile-big:

I can't answer the 2nd queston for this one, but mine will be a completed pen.

Phil

Harry

well done Harry. I knew I would be stealing that idea from whomever did it. It is a great marketing tool..

2) is this even a complete pen as the description makes it sound like it is just pen parts?

plano_harry

Harry

1) how exactly is this a marketing photo? Thanks for asking. It is a photo that I intend to use on my website and markets to show potential customers the process of making a pen illustrating stabilized wood in square blank form, the rounding process, fully round, turned to final diameter and the finished cap, all from the same piece of wood with the grain matched. Outside the contest, I could add my logo, but it is not necessary when my business is directly associated with the picture.

As you can see in the second photo entry, it is a full closed end pen (minus the finial) using tubes, spring and all. I even used the factory inkfil :wink: When shown in person, I will let people write with it.

edstreet

Harry

1) how exactly is this a marketing photo? Thanks for asking. It is a photo that I intend to use on my website and markets to show potential customers the process of making a pen illustrating stabilized wood in square blank form, the rounding process, fully round, turned to final diameter and the finished cap, all from the same piece of wood with the grain matched. Outside the contest, I could add my logo, but it is not necessary when my business is directly associated with the picture.

As you can see in the second photo entry, it is a full closed end pen (minus the finial) using tubes, spring and all. I even used the factory inkfil :wink: When shown in person, I will let people write with it.

Sure the second photo was another entry entirely so each photo stands alone. I had a group of photographers (non-pen turners mind you) look at the entries here soon after they were posted and there was a ton of remarks made about every entry (read they were like hungry piranha) On this particular photo the topic was the 2 that I mentioned (will not mention some of the other ones). I said it was likely a closed end but the description made it sound like it was not so I figured I would ask.

I thought it was a great shot and laid out well etc, I think I was looking at it more as a show and tell than as marketing and from what firewhatfire said that seems to be what he was looking at as well.

plano_harry

I had a group of photographers (non-pen turners mind you) look at the entries here soon after they were posted and there was a ton of remarks made about every entry (read they were like hungry piranha)

:biggrin: I can imagine! I am a bit of a photographer myself and spent less time on this shot than I do on my pen posts. Fortunately the picture was judged by people who like pens or want to sell pens. I think there were better photos in the contest.

Everyone has their own view of marketing. Since I am in sales, I prefer results. Marketing to me is about getting a message across. I sell to people who are not pen makers, although they could be photographers :rolleyes: They look at my pens and ask "how did you do that?" I thought this photo answered that question and it will get a message across and cause the viewer to read more online or enter conversation if in person - and that is marketing to me. It has stopping power, causes people to engage - and that sells pens.

Harry

Haynie

You are kidding right? Can't you let the man have his day? He made a clever piece, it shows the process from raw beginning to polished end. And he photographed it well. It SCREAMS pen making. How is it NOT a marketing photograph? I think it is time for you to open your mind and get out of that tighty whitey rut you pontificate from.

As for the crap about getting a bunch of photographers together, who cares. Nothing but mental masturbation. I've been in those little get togethers and each one disgusted me.

Are there aspects of this photo that can be improved upon? Of course. Every photo here including the ones from all knowing edstreet can be improved on. It is the nature of the beast, and how we don't fall into the rut of mediocrity.

Argo13

Harry,

I voted for you. I got the concept of you photo and thought it was great idea. I am sure we all get asked, "How'd you do that" and you photo definitely answers that.

IMHO, Well done.

Jason

Top Bottom