Votes: 20 11.7%
  • Pen#10

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Pen#11

Votes: 11 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Entry #1
Tell us about your entry: Hand cast resin dragon. Detailed and colored with acrylic paints, Finished in 2 coats of Matte Varnish. Fitted with fine line roller ball. 1.85 Ozs Fits in hand comfortably and writes excellent.

Attachments

• free1b.jpg
    free1b.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 287
  • free1c.jpg
    free1c.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 300
  • free1a.jpg
    free1a.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 373
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Pen#4

Tell us about your entry: Glass dipping pen made with several colors of soft glass melted and shaped with propane/oxygen torch. Glass nib has ribs to hold ink.

Attachments

• free4a.jpg
    free4a.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 352
Pen#5

Tell us about your entry: Artur and his Ex Themed this one on the the story of King Arthur and Excaliber. I used Mexican redheart for the handle where I hand filed the spiraled flutes and the grooves for the wire inlay. I used a guitar string for my wire inlay which is pinned in the ends of the blank. I used a grey alumalite blanks to turn the butt and front section. I used the same material to shape the guard and blade from. What sword should not have somewhere to be situated? So I started with a block of foam and shaped out me an anvil coated it with modge podge and painted it black.

Attachments

• free5a.jpg
    free5a.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 317
  • free5b.jpg
    free5b.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 278
  • free5c.jpg
    free5c.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 279
Pen#6

Tell us about your entry: I had a customer that wanted a gavel turned for his father (his father is an auctioneer), I ended up turning the top of this pen for a scaled down pattern. He ended up buying the pen too!!

Attachments

• free6a.jpg
    free6a.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 299
Pen#7

Tell us about your entry: "Steampunk" inspired desk fountain pen with stand. Pen is made from brass, copper, springs, and glass test tubes. Stand is made to look like the filling station and features a pressure gauge and 2 test tubes filled with metallic blue PR.

Attachments

• free7c.jpg
    free7c.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 384
  • free7b.jpg
    free7b.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 357
  • free7a.jpg
    free7a.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 419
Pen#8

Tell us about your entry: The "Belaying Pen" On the old wooden tall ships, "belaying pins" were stuck in rails and used as temporary tie-off points. This is my version rendered as a pen. It's made from teak with brass threads and embellished with a 3-ply, 3-turn, 5-bight turk's head knot (the knot traditionally used on the kingspoke of a ship's wheel).

Attachments

• free8a.jpg
    free8a.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 254
  • free8b.jpg
    free8b.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 244
  • free8c.jpg
    free8c.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 211
Pen#9

Tell us about your entry: This realistic cigar is made from stabilized claro walnut and natural buckeye burl simulating the ash. The hardware components are from the Roman Harvest Kit. The concealed centerband is recessed inside the cap.

Attachments

• free9a.jpg
    free9a.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 325
  • free9b.jpg
    free9b.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 278
  • free9c.jpg
    free9c.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 247
Pen#10

Tell us about your entry: Galileo's Telescope Pen Based on the shape of his telescope. The lenses are made from clear PR and turned, one concave (eyepiece) and one convex. I was a bit optimistic hoping it would actually function as a telescope but if I can get some proper lenses it may! That was the reason for the sliding fit of the body......the section could be removed and the sliding action would allow for some form of focus. The section is made from brass to counterbalance the back end of the pen. The Celtic rings are a sandwich of pop can and a very dark wood veneer. The center part is Sheoak.

Attachments

• free10a.jpg
    free10a.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 255
  • free10b.jpg
    free10b.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 243
  • free10c.jpg
    free10c.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 238
Pen#11

Tell us about your entry: This is an injector from a Bosch P7100 injection pump off of a Cummins turbo diesel engine. The injector nozzle was machined from 6061 aluminum, the pocket clip is made from Grade 2 Titanium. Fastening the clip to the body is a Stainless steel socket head cap screw into the fuel return line hole. Click mechanism is a Schmidt SKM88.

Attachments

• free11a.jpg
    free11a.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 355
  • free11b.jpg
    free11b.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 239
  • free11c.jpg
    free11c.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 253

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Crap I needed at least 3 votes. Great contest Chris. Those are some fantastic entries.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
These are all absolutely amazing!
It's a shame to only be able to select just one - they are all unique and display superb creativity and workmanship in their own way.
Congratulations to all who entered this contest - you all deserve a prize.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow, I'm no longer sorry I didn't enter. Would've been a bit humiliating.!!:eek:
There are a couple of very special ones and some who's style you can also spot a mile away, but every one deserves to be in this superb 'Out of the Box' contest.
Well done to all the entrants. :wink::good::good::good:

GDGeorge

I agree. These are very nice entries and really show off the creativity of their makers to good advantage!

Now to decide on my vote.

Twissy

Wow, I'm no longer sorry I didn't enter. Would've been a bit humiliating.!!:eek:
There are a couple of very special ones and some who's style you can also spot a mile away, but every one deserves to be in this superb 'Out of the Box' contest.
Well done to all the entrants. :wink::good::good::good:

I'll name that pen in 5 :biggrin:

102 people have voted. As far as thinking out of the box goes, the closest these people got to it was putting the box on the floor to keep it clean while they worked.

Edward Cypher

I agree I need at least 3 votes if not more. They are all amazing!!! WOW talk about creative people, they live here on the IAP. Thanks for all the ideas not that I will ever be that creative but one can dream.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow !!!! Very well done Simon !!!:biggrin:
All the pens were great but as the votes have shown, your stunning piece is in a class of it's own. A very worthy winner!!:good::good::good::good::good:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Si90

WOW, thank you all so much for voting for my efforts.

Congratulations to the other prize winners and well done to all who entered on producing some fantastic pens.

Thanks to Chris for organising the competittion and to those who provided the great prizes.

Top Bottom