Point of clarification please?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

I am afraid this question would get lost in the other thread. Maybe it was already answered in there but things got a little silly.

If I take a photograph (this makes me the photographer) of a pen/pens and the logo of the pen maker/manufacturer (not me I am the photographer) is visible, is this acceptable, as long as my (the photographer) name is no where visible in the submitted photograph?

edstreet posted a photo he took with maker of the blanks clearly visible. This picture is a perfect example of my question.

toddlajoie

I am afraid this question would get lost in the other thread. Maybe it was already answered in there but things got a little silly.

If I take a photograph (this makes me the photographer) of a pen/pens and the logo of the pen maker/manufacturer (not me I am the photographer) is visible, is this acceptable, as long as my (the photographer) name is no where visible in the submitted photograph?

edstreet posted a photo he took with maker of the blanks clearly visible. This picture is a perfect example of my question.

Mark, unfortunately, this is exactly the situation that had lead to the rules clarification, and based on the clarification, it is not allowed. Originally, with the way the rules were written, and the intent of the rules, it would have been allowed, as it would not have identified you as the entrant/photographer. However, the amendment was, at the time, worded so as to exclude any logos/names etc. This may seem like an over-reaction, but in retrospect, I feel that it is a good thing for the contest based on the following rationale (clipped from my very long post...):

Suppose that a user or vendor on this forum had a very unique, and visually striking product, and another member on the forum had a fantastic idea on a photograph using this product and it's logo/name/etc. Since it is not their brand, this would normally be allowed. Sounds great. Now since the user/vendor of the product is the owner of that brand, they have control over it's use. They may be thrilled that their product is used. They might not be. That would cause a bit of a problem. A much bigger problem could arise if the brand owner were to give permission to one user to promote their brand in this contest, but not allow others to. This could be perceived by the other users as giving one person an unfair advantage over the others, and this, based on other issues where members perceived others had an unfair advantage, would cause a HUGE problem.

I hope this helps clarify this topic, and the reasoning behind it, and I hope that you can work within these restrictions and send up a great entry.

Top Bottom