2014 Shop Life Photo Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

2014 Shop Life Photo Contest (Click here for entry form)

Whether photography is your passion, your hobby, or just a something you do in your shop while you're waiting for the finish to dry, we invite you to participate in our 2014 Shop Life Photo Contest, celebrating the IAP's 10th anniversary!

All IAP members in good standing with the rules of the Birthday Bash are welcome to participate.

Please read the complete contest rules before entering.

OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES

No donation or payment necessary to enter or win.

Photo Eligibility:
To enter, you must be a registered member of IAP with your First and Last Name and home town and state in your profile. Judges and others participating in the administration of the Photo Challenge are not eligible to participate. Photos can be from any date and do not have to be taken specifically for the contest but THEY MAY NOT HAVE BEEN PREVIOUSLY SHOWN PUBLICLY HER ON THE IAP OR ANY OTHER SITE PRIOR TO ENTRY OR ANNOUNCEMENT OF CONTEST WINNERS.

The photo subject must be relevant to the category of this Contest, Shop Life:

Photos of day to day life in your shop or other activities around the creation of pens and other wood wizardry. The nature of this contest lends itself well to artistic expression. Capturing the thrill, joy, wonder, amazement, tragedy, sorrow, regret, or any of the other broad range of emotions we all experience will resonate with those judging the photos.

Photo Formats:

Entries may be color or black & white digital images only. Images must be at least 600 pixels in height, and no more than 800 pixels in width OR height, and be in JPEG or PNG format.

Submitting Digital Images:
Digital images should be submitted using the Official Entry Form. Maximum width: 800 pixels, maximum height:600 pixels. Remember, small pictures will not able to be effectively judged so please give us the biggest picture you can within the limits. Images should be submitted in JPG or PNG format (file extensions can be *.jpg, *.jpeg, or *.png. MAC users, please put the .jpg or .png extension in your file name to help us out). File sizes must be less than 256K per image. ALL PICTURES THAT DO NOT MEET THESE REQUIREMENT WILL BE REJECTED WITHOUT NOTICE! (In reality, I will try and notify you if there is time, but I'm playing the role of the big bad official here... If your entry comes in at the last minute, you may be S.O.L.) Please ask before you submit an image if you do not understand this, and if you cannot meet these requirements for some reason, please contact me by PM and I will do what I can to help out. I don't want anyone to miss out because the cannot format the images as needed.

Image Modifications:
Minor digital enhancement is permitted (see below), but images that have been significantly modified or appear unnatural will be disqualified.

Permitted Modifications:

• Images may be cropped and rotated as necessary.
  • Red-eye removal and spot editing
  • One-step enhancement (such as "AutoFix", "QuickFix", "Auto Levels", etc.)
  • Use of filters to sharpen, soften, blur, despeckle, or remove noise.
  • Use of corrective functions to improve the natural appearance of the image, such as levels, contrast, brightness, curves, intensity, tone, hue, saturation, lightness, value, color balance, and tint
Not Permitted:

• No borders or frames may be added to images.
  • No watermarks, signatures, or copyright notices may be added to images. All winning images will be displayed with the photographer's name. We do not want the images to be identifiable as the entrant, by name, logo, etc.
  • Adding or replacing significant elements in an image is not permitted.

Photographer/Copyright:
Entries must be submitted by the original photographer. Do not submit a photo taken by someone other than you. You must be the sole owner of the copyright of any image submitted. Your submission of the photo is your guarantee that you are the author and copyright holder of the photo.

Ownership/Use Rights:
Photographers retain the copyright to their photographs. By entering the contest, photographers agree to have their submitted photograph displayed on the IAP website without any fee or other form of compensation. Photographers agree that IAP may display winning photos in a "past winners" photo gallery and retain copies of the photograph for promotional purposes. Photos will be credited to the photographer.

How to Enter:
Photos need to be submitted through the Official Entry Form ( The 2014 IAP Photo Challenge ) and ABSOLUTELY NOT POSTED HERE OR ANYWHERE ELSE ON THE FORUM. If it has been posted or otherwise shown on IAP, it is not eligible for this contest. Your IAP username, E-Mail address, and First and Last Name are required on the entry form but I highly suggest that you include the other fields so that it will make it easier to send you your prizes if you win! All personal information will be kept strictly confidential (even from me!!) and will only be accessible to members of the IAP Birthday Bash necessary to administer and distribute prizes.

Be sure to select the correct category ("Shop") on your submission, as the same entry form is being used for several contests.

Entries must be received by Friday February 21, 2013 11:59 PM PST be eligible.

Judging:
Sunday, February 23rd a poll thread will be posted of all entries to be voted on by the entire IAP membership between the time it is posted and February 28th. PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THIS CONTEST IS NOT OVER UNTIL THIS POLL IS CLOSED AND THE RESULTS ARE MADE PUBLIC!! As such you should not post your photo or any other information on this site or any others that would identify your photo to other members. Promoting your entry to other members in any way (in person, Private Message, E-Mail, Phone, posting pleas for votes) is strictly prohibited and will result in disqualification.

Prizes will be awarded as follows:
1st Place: Easy Pen Turner Tool from CSUSA (valued at $89) & $25 Gift Certificate from WoodnWhimsies (valued at $25)

2nd Place: $50 Gift Certificate from robutacion (valued at $50) & Baron kit and acc. from Bear Tooth Woods (valued at $32)

3rd Place: Instant Glues from Satellite City (valued at $40) & Box of blanks from edohmann (value at least $25.00)

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

Less than 2 weeks left...

...and as it stands right now, a close up shot of the flat side of a 2x4 from your shop would be a shoe-in for third place :biggrin:(that means that as of now we only have 2 entries....)

Look around your shop, take an artistic, emotional shot that will bring the IAP members to tears of envy, or look over your memory card and find that blurry shot of your boots standing it a 3 inch pile of shavings that the camera took on it's own when the vibration from your table saw knocked it off the shelf and it hit the floor, either way, you can't win if you don't enter...

toddlajoie

C'mon Folks!!!! We have 3 great entries for the Shop Life Photo Contest, but we need more, for the psychological well-being of the winners.

SOMEONE is going to win the great goodies for 3rd place in the Shop Life Photo Contest, but wouldn't that person FEEL so much better about their accomplishment if 3rd place was not also LAST place!!

Only YOU can give your fellow turners the satisfaction of knowing that even though 2 other people had better photos than them, they were still better than SOMEONE!!!

You can be that someone!!! It doesn't have to be a National Geographic epic African watering hole style photo of the sawdust under your table saw, just SOMETHING going on in your shop. It doesn't have to be your best work either. (Only enter that if you want to WIN and deflate the egos of the other contestants. If you want to be selfish like that, fine, be that way...) But if you care about the feelings of three of your fellow pen turners, go out and take some mediocre, blurry, poorly composed photo of anything in your shop. Take one for the team!!! Follow the teachings of Spock ("The needs of the many...")

You have until JUST before the clock begins to chime midnight on the evening of Friday Feb 21st on the Pacific coast of the continental United States to get your entries submitted.

And if you really decided you want to WIN this contest, don't forget, there are MANY very famous photographers, Ansel Adams, Annie Liebovitz, Jerry Uelsman, the list goes on and on... but the fame and fortune opportunities available for things like Advanced Pen Making or Trivia experts are insignificant by comparrison. Don't be the best contrabassoon player in the world, be a ROCK STAR!!!

Quality Pen

I spent the last 2 weeks in Africa trying to get that perfect shot.

After spending the rest of my weekly stipend of 17,000 USD from my oil baron uncle, I decided to call it quits. I simply could not find a wood shop there with modern tools. Despite my, undoubtedly, Ansel Adams caliber work, I had to return home to hurry up and snap a pic with my Nokia 2000 camera phone.

Needless to say, there will be at least 4 entries at this juncture.

Brian G

I'm sure we can work a trade, then. :wink:

We probably shoulda' kept our mouths shut. People are going to slam the contest with late entries, and foil our plot.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I'm sure we can work a trade, then. :wink:

We probably shoulda' kept our mouths shut. People are going to slam the contest with late entries, and foil our plot.

Yeah - this makes two contest threads that I've bumped that were just kinda simmering in the background. I never learn ....

toddlajoie

The field is filling up...

Procrastinators UNITE!!!!

I didn't count the breakdown, but between the 3 photo contests, 9 new entries were received between 5PM and 10PM (EST) tonight!!!

There is still somewhere in the ballpark of 4 hours to go, and as I said before, most photos are taken at around 1/60th of a second, so that gives you enough time to take roughly 864,000 exposures, then you have about 1/2 hour to pick the best one and submit it!!!

toddlajoie

The contest is now CLOSED!!!

That's it, the wire has arrived, the ship has sailed, the goose is cooked, the peanut butter is on the pizza!!!

Thanks for all who entered. I will be putting the poll together later today and posting it either tonight or very early tomorrow morning. Voting will be open until roughly the end of the month, so when you see those threads, but sure to pop in and grab your dartboard to make a decision, or just vote for the photo of the shoe...:biggrin:

Quality Pen

Procrastinators UNITE!!!!

I didn't count the breakdown, but between the 3 photo contests, 9 new entries were received between 5PM and 10PM (EST) tonight!!!

There is still somewhere in the ballpark of 4 hours to go, and as I said before, most photos are taken at around 1/60th of a second, so that gives you enough time to take roughly 864,000 exposures, then you have about 1/2 hour to pick the best one and submit it!!!
Hopefully they were using a tripod at that speed.

Top Bottom