What do you think of props?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy Simmons

...Using other things in your photos? A stand, maybe a pebble?

Do you not use props? I feel they can be distracting if they are not too simple.

Thoughts?

sbwertz

About all I use is a piece of a pen blank, usually the same wood as the pen is made from. I like to elevate one end of the pen for photos

OOPS

I use a point and shoot camera and was having some trouble getting it to focus on the pen, rather than the black fabric background. I placed a rock in the background of the display, and it solved my focusing dilemma. I can't tell you why or how it did, but it did.

When viewing photos though, I want to see the pen, and CLEARLY. I don't need to see a copy of Beethoven's 5th underneath the pen, and I don't need to see an ugly giant piece of burl which has just been harvested. We are trying to see the PEN, and all the other stuff is mostly a distraction. IF it can be done tastefully, and doesn't detract from the pen, then I don't have an objection. But most people just can't pull it off.

BSea

I've used props many times. Most often was because I was just doing sometime to get the photo. Many of my earlier shots were outside just because that was about the only way to get a decent shot. And I sometime tried to put the pen in a setting that was somewhat pleasing. I still like some of the pictures even with the natural background & props.

Most of my shots now are using a light tent, and about the only prop I use is an acrylic pen stand. And more & more I use nothing. But that's more so I can take a decent photo.

Now most props don't bother me as long as the pen looks as it should. In fact some look really good to me, and add to the photo. I guess if all you want to see is the pen, then the less props the better.

Top Bottom