Water Effect

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

I "black mirrored" some ripple glass (paint one side black). Looks like water.

Yes, I need a blue gel for the strobe that's doing the background. Can't find my box with the gels. I think I tossed them a few years ago. Whoops!

The pen is one I've posted before. It's my primary carry ballpoint.

On the water... by DurocShark, on Flickr

Here's the setup shot. Yes, my bedroom is my studio.

DSC_5544setup by DurocShark, on Flickr

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

Yeah, I've done "mirrors" of several colors. Some work better than others, but the technique is the same.

Any piece of glass can be painted. I got the idea from painting the backs of my fishtanks. Slopping some black paint on the back of a tank looked awesome from the front.

Nice thing about this technique is you don't get the double reflection like you do with a regular mirror. (I use those lots too...)

In this pic I was going for a "floating on the ocean" effect. Need to work on the sky...

Jmhoff10500

There are alot of pens on here that have gotten the WOW reaction but this is one of the first that get a jaw-dropping whoah! Very nice job, i love the blank!

turbowagon

That is amazingly awesome! It's the coolest pen photo I've seen in a long time!

I LOVE it!

- Joe

Last edited:

OOPS

NO doubt, NO doubt, +1 on the coolest pen photo in a long time! That is an incredible idea and well executed. Now, where exactly do you sleep in that "studio?" Wait, is that your pillow there? Not only is this pen your daily carry, it looks like you sleep with it too!

Thanks for posting this. It is outstanding.

PenPal

Don, Moving scene there mate. My set up is in front of the tele in the lounge, folds up out of the way. Like the simplicity of lighting and the quality as well as your daily write. showing this way gives us all heart and worth a thousand words.

Thanks mate.

Regards Peter.

DurocShark

Ahh. Aside from a music and arts festival, it's another term for umbrella!

That is a gen yoo wine photographic umbrella.

They're a few bucks, but translucent white that lets that weak little hotshoe flash light the pen. It's not strong enough to bounce off a reflective umbrella like the one in the top left corner.

toolcrazy

That is a cool effect. But, I am mixed on whether or not it is too much and it takes away from the beauty of the pen. I found that I was looking more at the glass than the pen it's self.

DurocShark

Yeah, you're probably right about that. That's ok though. :biggrin:

And I tried to order some Roscoe gels from B&H. Out of stock. :mad:

toddlajoie

That looks fantastic. I haven't done any work with black glass in a decade or so, but it is a very versitile effect. Never thought to try it with ripple glass tho!!!! You can get some neat color effects by putting a colored light behind your subject at the same angle as your camera's viewpoint so you get a direct reflection of the color..

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
It looks great!!! you should have saved that one for the Photo Contest that is coming up,,or do you have something else in mind for that?:wink:

DurocShark

It looks great!!! you should have saved that one for the Photo Contest that is coming up,,or do you have something else in mind for that?:wink:

I assumed there would be a theme or some kind of parameters.

Plus, it feels like cheating if I use a pic taken prior to the start of the contest.

Top Bottom