point and shoot camera recommendations - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Pen Photography
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Pen Photography Discuss the techniques and equipment for perfect pen pictures.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2016, 01:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 17

Default point and shoot camera recommendations

Folks,
There are lots of reviews on the Internet about Point and Shoot cameras and I currently have a Canon PowerShot 580 that does the trick to this point, but it is getting old and having issues so I wanted to see if any of you are using sub $200.00 Point and Shoot cameras for taking photos of your pens and turned objects and if so what model do you use and how well do they do and would you recommend it

THANKS
Wally
wfsteadman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-08-2016, 02:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 7

Using a Casio Exilim 14.1 Megapixel camera ... I bought it at a pawn shop for 80 dollars.

I decided to get a better flash card for it ... came with a 2 GB, I put a 16 GB micro in it with an adapter.

Everything on the camera works perfectly .... zoom, video record, mode change, flash, and the camera's extending lens also retracts perfectly when the camera is turned back off... nice slim package approx 2.5 inches high, 4 inches long, 1 inch thick (turned off, turned on the lens extends another inch and a half or so).

The images are MASSIVE and highly detailed ... I normally resize them to 900x650 pix before I import them here, or cut/clip just the part of the image I want.

A recent pic I uploaded:

Taken outside on a sunny day, on a folding table with a light blue microfiber towel for the background.

Attendance is not mandatory, unless you're addicted to turning pens.
Skie_M is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-08-2016, 02:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 58

You can get a Nikon at WALMART for around $100.00.
eharri446 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2016, 04:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 0

You need to do a "search" on the IAP for threads be "Sylvanite" (Eric Rasmussen). He has started a handful or more of very detailed threads about pen photography. Here is a link to one of them Photography Basics - Why Use A Light Tent?
lyonsacc is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-08-2016, 04:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

I recommend the Canon PowerShot SX410-IS on the Walmart website for $199. If you ever exhaust the capabilities of that camera, you can install a free firmware hack to make the camera shoot RAW and open up even more control. The firmware hack loads on your card and makes the camera dual bootable so you can use the factory or hacked firmware anytime you want.

Or, if you have a modern smart phone, you can get great results by putting it on a tripod, and using a free or cheap HDR app. We had a thread on it a couple years ago you can probably find pretty easily.

Disclaimer I have had two Canon PowerShot series cameras in the past and two of their DSLRs, but haven't used this exact model that I'm recommending. But from what I know of the company and their technology, it will do more than you can ask of it.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Here's a link to the thread I was talking about:

iPhone 5 Camera and HDR
Old 11-08-2016, 09:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 35

Just about any modern digital camera is capable of taking decent pen photos, provided it has a minimum level of controls. What's behind the camera is much more important than what's inside it. Even point-and-shoot models can work well in aperture-priority or manual exposure modes.

Check out Pen Photography - Putting Concept into Practice which shows how I used a $70 point-and-shoot camera to take a pen photo. Also look at Photography Basics - Composition. Some of the pen photos I posted there were taken with the same $70 camera, and others with a $1500 DSLR. See if you can tell which pictures were taken with which camera.

The IAP library article http://content.penturners.org/librar...pen_photog.pdf sums up these and other threads on pen photography if you want more information.

Regards,
Eric
http://www.bulletpenkits.com
Sylvanite is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-09-2016, 09:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

This advice may already be in Eric's articles, but I would get myself to Walmart, Sams, Costco, Best Buy, your local camera store, or any other place where you can actually handle a powered up version of any camera that you might consider.

FWIW,
Bill
bmachin is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads