Photoshop Tip #7 - A Better Resize

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

"Pay attention, son, this is for your own good. You gotta understand the scientific principle behind it! There's a right way and a wrong way." - Foghorn Leghorn

"That must be the wrong way!" - Henery ChickenHawk (in response)

"Size isn't everything." - Dr. Ruth Westheimer

When we talk about the "size" of a digital photograph, we mean two different things:
  1. the dimensions of the image (how many pixels high and how many pixels wide), and
  2. the filesize (how many bytes of storage the image occupies).
I showed a way to control both of these in http://www.penturners.org/forum/f24/photoshop-tip-1-saving-images-web-76746/. Now I'd like to introduce a better way to set the image dimensions.

The downside of the previous method, is that it works only when saving the image. That can be a problem because any time you resample an image, you introduce softness (blur), or noise. If you resize while saving, you don't have a chance to correct that. Therefore, I prefer to resample my pictures directly within Photoshop.

Click Image -> Resize -> Image Size:

attachment.php

That brings up the resize dialog:

attachment.php

Make sure the "Constrain Proportions" and "Resample Image" checkboxes are checked.
Change the width or height to the desired size (the other will change automatically to preserve the image proportions). In this example, I've chosen 800 x 600 pixels (which is the maximum size you can post in an IAP forum). Because I'm shrinking the image, I've also selected "Bicubic Sharper" from the drop-down-list at the bottom of the dialog box. This will reduce the amount of blur introduced by resampling.

attachment.php

Click "OK", and this is the result:

attachment.php

I hope that helps,
Eric

Attachments

• ResizeNavigation.jpg
    ResizeNavigation.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 417
  • ResizeDialog1.jpg
    ResizeDialog1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 389