• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sylvanite

Here are two similar pen photographs:

Picture A:

attachment.php

Picture B:

attachment.php

Which one do you think is better and (if you have a preference) why?

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 1,245
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 1,267
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
I have to agree with Seamus, but the difference, in my opinion, would be no more than 5 units of contrast or Gama Correction (whichever way you do your P/S), to the average viewer. In other words, "who's gonna notice"? Dang it! Going back and looking at it, I think A has a little more power in the highlight area than B. Sylvanite, are you screwing with our minds???:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:

Ironwood

Viewing on my lower quality monitor at work, I like the first one better. Because its showing the highlights a little less. But its very negligable.

I will have a look on my 27" Mac tonight and see if my opinion changes.

cwolfs69

i think "B" as well. i cant tell a significant difference in sharpness but i do think it looks that way because is is a little lighter. "A" seems a bit dark.

Marc

I first did not notice a difference, but as I looked closely at the reflection lines I decided B had a slightly less fuzzy reflection than A. Keep in mind that I wear tri-focals so....

I went back and forth between them and cannot see any difference here. They both look great! I have to agree though the pen is awesome.

Last edited:

JD Combs Sr

Here are two similar pen photographs:

Picture A:

attachment.php
attachment.php

Which one do you think is better and (if you have a preference) why?
I had to put them side beside, even then I can see very little difference, they are both outstanding photos of an outstanding pen. If I absolutely had to choose one I couldn't, however if pressed I would have to say that "A" is a little "warmer" then "B", there seems to be a slight reddening of the back ground in "A".

Edit: they were side beside in the preview pane but went back to over and under after I posted.

Last edited:

76winger

I don't know. Either it's my old CRT monitor that hasn't died yet (and generally still looks good) or my new progressive lens that's a pain to get used to (especially on the computer), but I can't tell the difference. :frown:

turbowagon

Venturing a guess --- one was taken with a ~$600+ macro lens, and the other with a < $100 kit lens (or perhaps even a point-and-shoot camera) to prove a point???

jttheclockman

Venturing a guess --- one was taken with a ~$600+ macro lens, and the other with a < $100 kit lens (or perhaps even a point-and-shoot camera) to prove a point???

This was my thought also. To me there is no difference and if there was it is not even worth mentioning it. Use whatever setup you did to take either photo. Works for what we do here.

Last edited:

AnachitlPut

Wow both are great. B looks sharper to me. Thanks for the good photo haven't seen that pen since the CCc contest. Glad I got a hand in making it.

Carl Fisher

If I had to guess, I would say there is just a touch of contrast difference between the two, but not much else. Of course it's going to vary on everyone's monitors depending on how well or even if they are calibrated.

Either picture is fantastic though.

Carl Fisher

I really can't find anything that stands out as different. I think the contrast difference I'm seeing is just where the picture falls on my monitor relative to my viewing angle. If I scroll them to the same place they look identical.

Last edited:

John Den

IMHO

Sharpening artifacts would indicate very, very small amount of increased sharpening to picture B.
Color balance on both pictures is the same to a close degree and a fairly neutral gray.
There is a approx 5% decrease in brightness in picture B.
I have interpreted this as Both pictures are the Same.
And yes this is visible - only just - on my color calibrated 22" monitor and my color calibrated 17" Laptop.
Both pictures are vastly better than 99% of the posted images on this site.
Just for grins
The first thing I did was load both pictures into Gimp and combine them into a side by side picture
Comparison was done using the color picker tool.
Was this a joke?
Regards,
John

Last edited:

Sylvanite

When the poll is over...

Ok, the poll has expired (in hindsight, I should have done just a 1 week poll, as nobody voted after the first week) and the results are now visible. They aren't what I expected. I had thought that "neither" would far outweigh either preference.

I don't think that's due to a significant difference between the photos though - rather I think it's due to the psychology of perception. Almost everybody who expressed an opinion preferred one because it was "brighter", "darker", or "crisper" than the other. In fact, the two photos are nearly identical in both brightness and contrast. They do have a gradient background (meaning the background is darker at the bottom and lighter at the top). When viewed one above the other, the mind interprets that the top photo is darker and the bottom is brighter. Because it seems brighter, the bottom photo also appears to have greater contrast - which we interpret loosely as "crisper" or "sharper".

That is why I made the additional post with the two images in reverse order - so people could see that although B looks brighter in the first, A looks brighter than B in the second. If I view them side-by-side, whichever one is on the left looks a little warmer to me (I see colors a bit differently in each eye). I flipped a coin to determine which picture to post first, but am confident that had I swapped them, the poll results would still show preference for the one on the bottom.

When viewed side-by-side at regular display size, I can't tell a difference. When enlarged, I see aliasing differences from the resampling (but neither is "better" than the other), and a very small difference in "purple fringing" (a form of chromatic aberration).

So, why did I post two nearly identical photographs? Joe hit the nail on the head (spoilsport :biggrin:). One was taken with a Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro lens I just purchased, the other with a Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-4.6 IS lens, which is about 2 generations old and came bundled as a "kit" lens with a camera I bought 6 years ago. Both images were shot with the same camera settings (camera position, framing, shutter speed, aperture, white balance, shooting style, focus point, etc.). Both were post-processed the same (crop, levels, fill-light, brightness, contrast, resampling, sharpening, etc.) except that one lens produced significantly warmer images than the other, so I color-corrected them both to neutral. Either picture could be made better with additional post-processing.

My point is that you don't have to spend a lot of money on a fancy lens to take good pen photographs. Although the EF-S 60mm macro lens is a little better (optically), the EF 28-135mm IS lens is plenty good enough. It is also less expensive and far more versatile.

I hope the exercise was interesting,
Eric

edicehouse

Eventhough I do not understand a lot of the camera lingo, not my thing; I really appreciate your demonstration.

hard hat

photo B shows the depth and clarity of the clear center piece better as well as the stripes on the body of the pen further back.

either way, they are good photos

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom