New Setup...Almost

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AFTACP

I finally purchased a light tent and pair of studio lights to aid in my pen photography efforts. The camera being used is a Nikon D3200. I need to get a macro lens, but the pictures seem much better with the diffused light. These were taken without the white sheet that came with the tent (having a hard time getting the wrinkles out :confused:) but I plan on replacing the white sheet with a mirror or white poster board possibly? Thoughts? A tripod was not used as I need to purchase one. The pens attached are a Leopardwood slimline, Amboyna Burl Cigar Pen and Wenge slimline. Comments and suggestions please!

Attachments

• DSC_0146.jpg
    DSC_0146.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 283
  • DSC_0150.jpg
    DSC_0150.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 271
  • DSC_0158.jpg
    DSC_0158.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 248

Ed McDonnell

I'll offer my opinion, but that's all it is, my opinion.

A macro lens is a great thing to have and lots of fun, but I rarely use mine for pen photography. I have a good quality 24-70mm zoom that I find myself using for all my pen shots. Much more versatile for framing shots without having to move the tripod.

I found some nice thick mat paper (really more like thin board) at Hobby Lobby (colorline brand). Sheets are 19" x 25" for $2.99. Good quality paper with no splotches or other blemishes. All sorts of colors available, but I bought white, black and grey for photo backgrounds. No wrinkles (but I suspect it will crease if you bend it, but for $2.99 it's not a big loss and with a little care it shouldn't be a problem). Makes a graceful sweep in the light tent. Doesn't seem to have a static charge to attract every piece of dust on the planet like some other backgrounds I've used.

Ed

Top Bottom