Kit Recommendation for Abalone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghansen4

I was recently about to purchase a dark blue paua abalone pen blank for the Jr II series. Due to the price I won't be working with Abalone often, so I want to make sure I do this one right. I'm thinking of using a rhodium-rhodium Jr Gent fountain pen kit, but wonder if that would be doing the Abalone a disservice. What do you think? Any recommendations for a Jr kit that would look good with dark blue Abalone?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenPal

The one I made recently.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF8633.JPG
    DSCF8633.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 179

elkhorn

Here's a dark blue abalone on an Emperor kit in rhodium. A little different than the Jr. Gent, but it'll give you an idea of how it looks on a two piece pen.

Attachments

• Royal Blue abalone FP closed.jpg
    Royal Blue abalone FP closed.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 182
  • Royal Blue abalone FP.jpg
    Royal Blue abalone FP.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 152

magpens

Darley ... a couple of places at least: ExoticBlanks.com, SignaturePenSupply.com plus one or two others I think.

Nice , so who selling those Abalone pen blanks ?

Greg ... I think the colors on Peter's pen are ideal for the abalone ... gun metal and gold

Last edited:

TonyL

I only use on double barrel pens (mid to higher end kits: $21 to $50) mainly because I am going to sell them or give as a higher-end gifts. However, I am in the minority. I also think it is strictly a matter or personal taste. They really are works of art. I bought a bunch of nice ones on sale from Signature...but there are many other excellent suppliers.

Rolandranch

How about a slimline? :biggrin:

Call me crazy but I think abalone slimlines look rather nice (my mom thinks so too).

Here are a few abalone pens I just did this week. The Jr George is also nice if you like an antique finish. And then there's the single-blank magnetic Vertex kit which is easier/less expensive because it's only one blank.

IMG_20180318_175020_451.jpg 20180319_174825.jpg 20180319_175349.jpg

Last edited:

greenacres2

Nice bunch of pens Seth. I've been dressing a few Slims in nicer attire (did a cocobolo last week), using upgrade platings (ti-gold & rhodium).
earl

magpens

Seth, those are lovely pens !!! . Did you make the Abalone blanks ?

Just an aside ... the slimline, in the first picture, appears to have an interesting "diamond" pattern that overlays the signature abalone patterns. . I am wondering if that is a photo-editing effect or a photo resolution effect. . Any comment on that please ?

Top Bottom