Interest in photography manual? - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Pen Photography
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Pen Photography Discuss the techniques and equipment for perfect pen pictures.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2017, 07:26 AM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I would like to get a copy of your photography manual, and appreciate the time and effort you are taking into making this manual.
Thanks.
Joe.
oldstoker is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-06-2017, 07:59 AM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 30

I am interested in what you are proposing, I have fumbled my way around trying to photograph pens ...
socdad is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-14-2017, 07:05 PM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I think that's some undertaking for jdubfudge. I think there a many, many ways to photograph your pens. Probably the best thing to do is find what you like, then figure out how it's done. I've only recently started turning, and I decided I wanted something a little different. I chose to photograph on black velvet. That works for me for the most part, but recently, I've used a simple white "background" (I shoot down on my pens, not horizontally, so technically, it's probably not a background) and some "stones". Problem I had with the black velvet is it's difficult to so a sharp transitions from the wood to the metal. It looks bloated, when it's not.

Though new to pen turning, I'm not new to photography. Here's link (if I can do that here) to my website I've been using so far ( jimbessette.com should work, if not then: Art - Panoptic Photography )

I'm glad to answer any questions that I can. Not sure how jdubfudge is going to handle myriad of different cameras out there, but as he mentioned, white bal and color correction is part of most software these days. I mostly stick to Lightroom as that handles anything necessary for photographing pens that I need. I've used Lightroom since version 1.

Kudos to jdubfudge for his efforts.
Jim
Jimbes is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2017, 06:59 PM   #24 (permalink)

Photos: 49

There have been some great posts and info on this forum. Most deal with features available on higher end cameras. Those who own those are probably already somewhat proficient. There are many more of use who rely on cell phone cameras. I see you will have a section on them, but I would like something specifically geared to those not just a small section. Thank you for your efforts.

BRobbins629 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-16-2017, 10:21 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRobbins629 View Post
There have been some great posts and info on this forum. Most deal with features available on higher end cameras. Those who own those are probably already somewhat proficient. There are many more of use who rely on cell phone cameras. I see you will have a section on them, but I would like something specifically geared to those not just a small section. Thank you for your efforts.

I just bought some cheap lights off Amazon, specifically for this. As a professional photographer, my kit consists of about $25k worth of camera equipment but I agree with what you have said. I'm not going to use high end dslrs with expensive strobes for this project.

But that being said, most of the stuff will be shot with my point and shot and not my cell phone. But it's a setup that anyone could have with the sales of a few pens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jdubfudge is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-16-2017, 10:51 PM   #26 (permalink)
Administrator

Photos: 58

Applicable I imagine to any small product photography on the scale of pens? I'd love to get good results without the light box I use. It really causes me more headache than it's worth.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:57 PM   #27 (permalink)

Photos: 73

I too will be watching this from the point and shoot camera angle. breaking down into the hobby we enjoy penturning will be helpful because the subject matter is so small and has shiny things on it but it is important to show the blank for which we spend our time with. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:32 AM   #28 (permalink)

Would appreciate info on lighting and tents. Please keep material from places like HomeDepot, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and Joanns etc.
wouldentu2? is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-17-2017, 01:03 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldentu2? View Post
Would appreciate info on lighting and tents. Please keep material from places like HomeDepot, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and Joanns etc.

I will try to keep it with basic materials, but already I use a setup with stuff not from a big box or crafts store. My backdrop was made from some 8020 extrusion I have sitting around in my shop. But it could just as easily be built with any materials.

Also, I live in Hawaii and don't have easy access to the stores. The nearest Home Depot or lowes is about an hour away so I only go there about once a month.

But one of the lighting setups I'll show is with some el cheapo lights I bought online and won't be using soft boxes. Instead I'll be softening the light with home made filters from vellum.

Jdubfudge is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-18-2017, 05:01 PM   #30 (permalink)
Administrator

Photos: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdubfudge View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldentu2? View Post

I will try to keep it with basic materials, but already I use a setup with stuff not from a big box or crafts store. My backdrop was made from some 8020 extrusion I have sitting around in my shop. But it could just as easily be built with any materials.

Also, I live in Hawaii and don't have easy access to the stores. The nearest Home Depot or lowes is about an hour away so I only go there about once a month.

But one of the lighting setups I'll show is with some el cheapo lights I bought online and won't be using soft boxes. Instead I'll be softening the light with home made filters from vellum.

The only reason I use a box (mine is a cardboard box with "windows" cut out and covered with translucent paper) is to soften the light. I've tried making filters for lights, but I can't seem to avoid the glare as I can with the box. So I'll be very interested to see your lighting solutions, as I think that's 95% of my problem.
Logged on members can hide ads