free photo size reducing website.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Another Forum I frequent, I know, you thought I lived here. (I do)
Posted this in response to the problem of reducing photos to load onto the forum.
You drag a photo into the area at the top and it reduces it and you download it back onto your computor.

Its free although you can donate to them if you want. If you use it a lot it would be nice to do so.
This would be one way to keep from having to buy a software program.

https://tinypng.com/

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
What is $50.00? I dont have Paint on my computer but do have microsoft office Picture Manager which reduces them. I thought it might help people who dont have anything to use to have a free one. Looks like there are some other choices as well. Good information to share.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Photo uploads to the forum are automatically downsized to 960px in the largest dimension. However, they are also subject to the 1MB file limit. It occurs to me that if folks are having trouble uploading large photos, it might be because of the filesize limit.

So, I increased the filesize limit to 3MB. That might help reduce the need to resize photos before posting. However, as camera resolution increases, the filesizes are humongous.

Can someone try a large image upload and see if the resize happens automagically? Should work at any incoming resolution as long as it's under 3 MB.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
This one is 2.4mb 2592 x 1944

attachment.php

Attachments

• 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 238

duncsuss

for simple, you cannot beat PhotoResize

About 10 years ago I discovered this incredibly simple photo resizing program for Windows systems: PhotoResize Batch Picture Resizer.

1) Download the executable, put it on your desktop.

2) If you want the longest side of your photos to be reduced 400 pixels, leave the name of the program as "PhotoResize400.exe" ... if you want the longest side to be reduced to 980 pixels, call it "PhotoResize980.exe", etc.

3) Drag and drop a JPG file onto the desktop icon.

4) It creates an output file to the size you specified.

This is so simple that I installed it on the desktops of the classified ad-takers at the newspaper where I work. These are not graphic artists, don't want to learn new programs, and just want something that is simple, fast and works.

And the program is free.

(edit: it can do a lot more besides this simple size reduction, but you don't have to go deeper into it if this is all you want)

Last edited:
Top Bottom