Canon SX 160 on sale

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

If you're looking for a decent camera at a rock-bottom price, Canon currently has the PowerShot SX 160 IS (in either black or red) refurbished on sale for $49.99 (normally $135.99).

Canon PowerShot SX160 IS Black Refurbished | Canon Online Store
Canon PowerShot SX160 IS Red Refurbished | Canon Online Store

This is not the greatest camera in the world, but it's plenty capable of taking good pen photos. I bought one last year. Most people can't tell the difference between pics taken with it, and with a fancy DSLR.

I hope that helps,
Eric

its_virgil

Eric,
I have that camera and really like it for taking pen pictures. I has manual settings as well as auto.But, I suppose you already know that since you are researching it. I really like having the manual setting...I rarely use the auto features. That is the main reason I have that camera. I also have the prior version of it but the screen has stopped working. The macro setting is really nice.
At that price I may just get me another. Thanks.

My only complaint: Mine uses 2 AA batteries and they don't seem to last very long.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

If you're looking for a decent camera at a rock-bottom price, Canon currently has the PowerShot SX 160 IS (in either black or red) refurbished on sale for $49.99 (normally $135.99).

Canon PowerShot SX160 IS Black Refurbished | Canon Online Store
Canon PowerShot SX160 IS Red Refurbished | Canon Online Store

This is not the greatest camera in the world, but it's plenty capable of taking good pen photos. I bought one last year. Most people can't tell the difference between pics taken with it, and with a fancy DSLR.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Last edited:

Sylvanite

I will keep checking back.
Check back again. I was just able to add both red and black to my shopping cart.

I agree that the batteries don't last as l'd like. I use rechargeable AA batteries and sometimes have to swap them out during a photo session. The SX 170 is basically the same camera with a rechargeable battery. It's on sale (refurbished) for $99.99.

Regards,
Eric

keithbyrd

How does the sx160 compare to the Canon Powershot Elph 100HS = I have had mine for about a year and was thinking about upgrading.

alphageek

Former Moderator
HUGE tip for those of you that have (or get) any of the powershot SX series that take 2 AA batteries.

They are weird with batteries... Even rechargeable don't work so hot. I think it has something to do with the power curve in the camera.

However, in my experience there is a solution... Try a set of Energizer E2 Lithium. They are NOT rechargeable, and they are a bit more expensive than normal batteries, but they last a VERY long time.

If you have one of these cameras, I recommend picking up at least one set... Keep your current batteries as a backup and see if I'm right. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Dean

Sylvanite

HUGE tip for those of you that have (or get) any of the powershot SX series that take 2 AA batteries...
Dean,

Great tip, thanks. I have a charger that recharges alkaline batteries (which last longer than NiMH), but lithium batteries will indeed have a far greater life.

AA vs. rechargeable battery is not always an easy choice. In general, I prefer a built-in rechargeable, but for those who travel and may have charger issues, AA batteries are available pretty much worldwide.

Regards,
Eric

Sylvanite

For those who may be concerned about image quality, here are a few pen pics that I took with this camera:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

and, of course, this one:

126564-long-overdue-birthday-bash-pen-anniversarypen_x600.jpg

Regards,
Eric

Attachments

• DiamondBraid_x600.jpg
    DiamondBraid_x600.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 763
  • RifledCartridgePen_x600.jpg
    RifledCartridgePen_x600.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 754
  • PeppermintStickPen_x600.jpg
    PeppermintStickPen_x600.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 693

SDB777

Remember,
Overall refurbished goods will have a shorter life span than that of a new model, however, you buy the refurb'd item at a lesser amount to the new model(that is supposed to make up for the life).

Test everything when you receive the refurb'd item immediately! Can't stress that enough...that way if there is still a problem, you might be able to get a return on it.(yes, these refurbs are supposed to be tested before being sent back out into the world).

Canon makes a fine product, the question you need to ask when buying refurb'd items...why is there so many available?

Scott (just saying, research before jumping off the bridge) B

Sylvanite

Overall refurbished goods will have a shorter life span than that of a new model...
I disagree. A lot of "refurbished" products are simply retailer returns. These are not "used" cameras and there's no discernible wear.

Test everything when you receive the refurb'd item immediately! ...that way if there is still a problem, you might be able to get a return on it.
Definitely do test out all the features when you receive the camera. Unlike most refurbished products which come with a reduced warranty period however, there's a full one year warranty. You definitely CAN (no "might" about it) return the camera if there's a problem - Canon even includes an RMA label in the box.

... the question you need to ask when buying refurb'd items...why is there so many available?
Because every warranted product has some percentage of returns, and Canon sold a ton of these cameras.

If you want more information about what buying "refurbished" gets you, see Refurbished Products.

BruceA

Snagged a black one for $44.99 yesterday!

Eric,
This is an awesome tip you've shared! Thanks!

Just to confirm, your three sample pictures shown in your post above...
Are they taken at @ 3ft?? I read your other post about your standard method being that distance.

farmer

AC kit

I will keep checking back.
Check back again. I was just able to add both red and black to my shopping cart.

I agree that the batteries don't last as l'd like. I use rechargeable AA batteries and sometimes have to swap them out during a photo session. The SX 170 is basically the same camera with a rechargeable battery. It's on sale (refurbished) for $99.99.

Regards,
Eric

Its almost as much as the camera.
Canon AC Adapter Kit ACK-800 | Canon Online Store
But you don't have to buy batteries.
Farmer

BruceA

Farmer, see Chuck Key's post #17 for the link to the Canon AC Adapter kit for $18.50 - There's a discount code I used from Sylvanite where I purchased the item with shipping for under $21. For studio work with pens, that's the way to go.

farmer

batteries

Farmer, see Chuck Key's post #17 for the link to the Canon AC Adapter kit for $18.50 - There's a discount code I used from Sylvanite where I purchased the item with shipping for under $21. For studio work with pens, that's the way to go.

Thank you Bruce

Both of my cameras a gripped and i have extra batteries ,
I can shoot for a day or two when I am doing product shots.
Out in the field I am good for a day or two too.

I have more camera gear then skills.

Farmer

BruceA

Eric, do you have any previous posts with pictures of your photo setup? I'm trying to visualize your 3' distance from pen-to-camera. Are you using any zoom? I received my SX160is today, and worked with it for a while. It's a step towards more control than the my other Canon SD780is that doesn't have manual controls. Thanks-

thewishman

Eric, do you have any previous posts with pictures of your photo setup? I'm trying to visualize your 3' distance from pen-to-camera. Are you using any zoom? I received my SX160is today, and worked with it for a while. It's a step towards more control than the my other Canon SD780is that doesn't have manual controls. Thanks-

Hey Bruce,

I just got mine, also. Planning to read through this list of Eric's photography threads in the next few days:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/sea...plog_searchinfo=1&photoplog_searchquery=photo

These may not have the answer to your question, but I was gathering them for myself and thought it would be nice to share.:)

Sylvanite

Eric, do you have any previous posts with pictures of your photo setup? I'm trying to visualize your 3' distance from pen-to-camera. Are you using any zoom?
Check out http://www.penturners.org/forum/f24/pen-photography-putting-concept-into-practice-128555/. I didn't include a picture of the camera on the tripod, but if you ran a tape measure (line-of-sight) from the camera to the pen, it would read about 3 feet. With my DSLR, I typically shoot at a distance of about 2 to 2.5 feet (see http://www.penturners.org/forum/f24/photography-basics-perspective-122430/ for an explanation why), but when zoomed in to fill the frame (yes, I did use the zoom), the SX 160 would not focus closer than 3ft. That's a reasonable compromise.

Does that answer your question, or would a photo help?

Regards,
Eric

BruceA

Eric, Thanks for your explanation. After I asked the question a couple days ago, I searched on your User Name and "Photo" and found all your articles - and READ THEM.

Your results speak for themselves as far as a viable approach. I have been an adherent to the Gerry Rhoades / Ed Davidson method of photographing a pen in a horizontal position straight on. YOUR photos are crystal clear, using an angle for the shot. But I think part of your success is that you are FURTHER away from the pen, and your depth of field is not as much of an issue when trying to shoot at 12-14" straight on.

I would like to see a picture of your setup, too, so I can fully understand the size of your light tent and distances. I'm using a white translucent Plexiglas 12" square - I might be able to make that work with my new Canon SX160is by setting the tripod back 2-3' and zooming in a bit, then cropping to square - shooting down a bit.

I appreciate again your heads-up on the Canon SX160is deal. It's got many/most of the same controls as my Canon T3i, which is usually commandeered by my teenage daughter! So it's a good solution for pens.

Sylvanite

I think part of your success is that you are FURTHER away from the pen, and your depth of field is not as much of an issue when trying to shoot at 12-14" straight on.
Depth-of-field (DoF) is primarly determined by three things (there are other factors, but they are not as significant). Those are:
  1. Distance. The greater the distance between the camera and the focal point, the greater the DoF.
  2. Focal length. The shorter the lens focal length, the greater the DoF.
  3. Aperture. The smaller the aperture (higher f/stop number), the greater the DoF.
If you frame the pen the same way using a zoom lens, then when you move closer, you'll shorten the focal length. One factor reduces DoF and the other increases it. Whether the combination yields less or more, you can still use aperture to achieve the desired depth-of-field.

Take another look at http://www.penturners.org/forum/f24/photography-basics-perspective-122430/. In the first photo, the camera was very close (6" or less) yet the entire pen is in focus despite being at an angle. If that's the perspective you want in your pen photo, then place the camera close and zoom to a wide angle. As I said before, I generally find that photographing a pen from a distance approximating arm's length yields a more natural looking perspective, which is why I usually shoot from about 2-3 ft away.

At either distance, it isn't necessary to photograph a pen flat. Choose whatever angle suits your desired composition and then set the aperture to achieve sufficient depth-of-field.

I hope that helps,
Eric

dogcatcher

My order got here today, the disc that comes with the camera, my player on my computer has cratered, do I need to use it or can I jus stumble through without it. Hate to et another computer just for that issue. My Nikons didn't need a disc player.

Sylvanite

... the disc that comes with the camera, my player on my computer has cratered, do I need to use it or can I jus stumble through without it.
The disk contains the manual (in pdf format) and some bundled software (file transfer and image editing). You can get the manual here. If you have a different image editor, you won't need the bundled software, and you can always transfer files either directly from the SD card (if you have a card reader) or by connecting the camera via USB where it appears like a mass storage device.

So, in short, you don't have to use the included disk to use the camera.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Sylvanite

The advantage of a point-and-shoot camera

Although compact digital cameras are generally less capable than larger Digital-Single-Lens-Reflex (DSLR) cameras, I'd like to note that small-sensor cameras can sometimes be advantageous. Pen photography is a case in point.

To explain, let's perform a thought experiment with three imaginary cameras:
  1. A Canon Powershot SX 160 IS,
  2. An APS-C camera with a crop factor of 1.6 such as the Canon 60D, and
  3. A full-frame 35mm digital camera.
In this experiment, we'll try to take the same pen photograph (same perspective, same depth-of-field, same field-of-view, and same exposure) with each. Then we'll see what camera settings we'll need to use to accomplish that feat. I'll try to keep the technical lingo to a miniimum.

Let's start with the SX160. It has a 1/2.3" sensor (a mere 6.17mm wide). That is about 1/5 the area (actually a bit less) of a full-frame 35mm camera. In photo terms, This camera has a "crop factor" of 5.2. Don't read too much into that, it's simply a way to compare the "field-of-view" that different cameras have. Anyway, let's say that we've taken a pen photo with the following settings:
  • Distance - 3 ft away from the pen (to get approximately arms-length perspective).
  • Lens Focal Length - 40mm so that the pen fills the frame.
  • ISO - 100 for minimum digital noise.
  • Aperture - f/4 so the entire pen is in focus.
  • Shutter Speed - 1/30 second (given the available light).
Now let's try to take an identical photo with the APS-C camera. To get the same perspective, we'll have to put the camera at the same location (remember, perspective is solely a function of distance). In order to fill the frame (same field-of-view), we'll have to use a 135mm lens (crop factor 5.2 vs 1.6 - the sensor is bigger, so we'll need to zoom in). We'll keep ISO at 100. Now, here's where things get tricky. Depth-of-Field (DoF) is primarily a function of distance, focal length, and aperture. We've kept the distance the same, but increased the focal length. To match the DoF, we'll have to use a smaller aperture (higher f/ number). It turns out that the necessary aperture is f/16. See A Flexible Depth of Field Calculator if you want to play with the numbers yourself. That is a difference of 4 f/stops - and each stop halves the amount of light transmitted. In order to achieve the same exposure, we'll have to use a 16 times longer shutter speed - or about 1/2 second. To recap, those settings are:
  • Distance - 3 ft away from the pen.
  • Lens Focal Length - 135mm.
  • ISO - 100.
  • Aperture - f/16.
  • Shutter Speed - 1/2 second.
Switching to the full-frame 35mm DSLR, to take the same picture, we'd need to use these settings:
  • Distance - 3 ft away from the pen.
  • Lens Focal Length - 200mm.
  • ISO - 100.
  • Aperture - f/22.
  • Shutter Speed - 1 second.
Let's talk about camera shake. The general rule of thumb is that if you're shooting handheld, then in order to avoid motion blur, you have to use a shutter speed of 1/(lens focal length) or faster. With image stabilization, that number gets smaller. The SX 160 IS does have optical image stabilization, so you should indeed be able to use a 40mm lens focal length at 1/30 second without blur.

There's no way (even with image stabilization), however, that you can handhold a 135mm lens for 1/2 a second, let alone a 200mm lens for a full second. You'll have to use a tripod (and either remote shutter release or self-timer). Moreover, those shutter speeds are also sensitive to shake from the mirror moving and vibrations from the floor. For best results, you'll also need to use mirror-lock-up and stand still during the exposure.

If you want a faster shutter speed with the DSLRs, you'll need more light - which translates to more expensive studio equipment.

So, I hope you see that a compact digital camera can have its advantages.

Regards,
Eric

BruceA

Using the Canon SX160is

View in Gallery

Distance: 28 inches from camera
f/7.1
ISO 100
Auto White Balance
1/30th sec exposure
Focal Length 22.2mm, equivalent to 131mm in 35mm Film
+1 Exposure (difficult to get a white background without increasing the exp.)
Lightroom 4 for slight tweak on Clarity, and spot removal
Used overhead and left and right softboxes with 4 bulbs in each

Observations: seems that shooting in the 112 to 131mm equivalent zoom range provides better focus and sharpness. I used Aperture Priority to try to get the highest number f-stop. I even used a white-card for custom exposure, and it was still difficult to get a white background.

Top Bottom