Anyone use a fold up light box.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

One like this.

https://www.banggood.com/9-Inch-Por...ing-Cube-Soft-Box-p-1168027.html?rmmds=search

09128d8f-a868-4dfb-a4d3-5c59cdcd341e.jpg

I have a cloth photo cube but it takes too much time setting up.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I like the design, but the sides look somewhat opaque; I wonder how well they will diffuse light.

tonylumps

Here is the FotoFox light Box I am using the grey back ground.Maybe I tried the White, too bright.

Attachments

• 148.JPG
    148.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 534
  • 147.JPG
    147.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 526
Last edited:

flyitfast

I have a fold up box from Polaroid that works well. However. like most fold up units it does take time to setup. All the lights and stands fit in pockets that are part of the "kit". The lights are kinda wimpy but give fair pictures. I have added a couple of light bars that fit over the top. It came with four colored backgrounds, but I almost always use a graduated gray sheet that I added to the setup. I would add a picture of it but don't time right now to set it up!!!
Wish I had a place to leave it setup, but the dining room table gets frowned on. :biggrin:
A better camera would help also for better pictures.
Most of mine are spur of the moment pictures, so the cell phone gets used a lot.
Gordon

Bob in SF

This one works well for me - got it on amazon.com:

LimoStudio 16" x 16" Table Top Photo Photography Studio Lighting Light Tent Kit in a Box, AGG349

- Bob

I made my own light box out of white cardboard. It seems to work perfectly for my application.
DSCN6683%255B1%255D.JPG

That's what my light box looks like.
Here's a picture of what I can get out of it.
bandicam%2B2017-06-05%2B12-55-12-961.jpg

chartle

I have a fold up box from Polaroid that works well. However. like most fold up units it does take time to setup. All the lights and stands fit in pockets that are part of the "kit".....

The one I linked to unfolds and there is one light strip already installed. You just unfold it and plug in the lights to a 5v mini USB.

leehljp

Member Liaison
These type were popular a few years ago for several members here:

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Shoot...3&sr=8-3&keywords=light+tents+for+photography

I hope you get something started again. It certainly is telling for those who simply take a picture of a pen versus those who use decent diffused lighting.

I am not a fan of the strip multi dot LEDs though. If diffused it may be OK, but direct multiple LED light on a finely polished finish will cause multiple reflection points, making it difficult see a continuous reflection finish. As an example, look at the current front page pen photo "Chittum Burl Set by firewhatfire" Notice the finish reflection - it is one long reflection. Multiple light points make that difficult to see, and some may like that. For me, a good photo will also show the skill of a fine finish, as does the photo noted.

Last edited:
It doesn't fold up but I made myself a small lightbox to photograph small items from odd bits I had lying about the workshop, cost me next to nothing to make, seems to work quite well

Attachments

• lightbox.jpg
    lightbox.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 326
  • lightbox1.jpg
    lightbox1.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 312
  • lightbox2.jpg
    lightbox2.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 297

vtgaryw

Here is the FotoFox light Box I am using the grey back ground.Maybe I tried the White, too bright.

I like the design of that box. Is the streak of light across the middle of the picture the vertex where the bottom meets the back? The pictures are great but I'm not sure I'd like that streak.

Gary

Marmotjr

There was a decent one on amazon that was listed as a Prime day deal I was Eyeballing, but I didn't pull the trigger.

I have a whole bunch of 24"x24" .010" polystyrene sheets from a vacu forming project that never launched, so I'm planning on making a box with those. I already use them on the clamp on shop lights with daylight balanced bulbs. One without the poly diffuser for the main light, and one with the poly, just clamped to the rim of the hood, as the fill light. Works pretty good.

CreativeCanes

I use one that looks the same. I find it works great, I still need to adjust the brightness a little with a photo editor, but I picked mine up for $7 on Ebay and it is worth the small cost in my opinion. The sides are a little flimsy but it came with a white background and a black, I just plug it into my laptop and it's good to go. I found I didn't need any other lighting apart from the led's that's attached to it. Easy to set up and use.

Attachments

• 26047008_1758865390831771_7739883984864337370_n.jpg
    26047008_1758865390831771_7739883984864337370_n.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 276

Carl Fisher

I have that one and generally like it, especially for quick photos. My biggest complaint is that (as someone else noted) the string of LEDs along the top front edge reflects off of the item like a series of hotspots rather than diffuse light. Haven't found a way to easily resolve that yet, otherwise I like it.
For TonyL: the sides are pretty opaque because it is designed to just use the string of mini LEDs mounted inside that flap you see running across the top front. I wouldn't use it for external side-lighting. I drag out the bulkier fabric-sided box when I need the really good diffuse lighting.

Last edited:

Carl Fisher

I have that one and generally like it, especially for quick photos. My biggest complaint is that (as someone else noted) the string of LEDs along the top front edge reflects off of the item like a series of hotspots rather than diffuse light. Haven't found a way to easily resolve that yet, otherwise I like it.
For TonyL: the sides are pretty opaque because it is designed to just use the string of mini LEDs mounted inside that flap you see running across the top front. I wouldn't use it for external side-lighting. I drag out the bulkier fabric-sided box when I need the really good diffuse lighting.

You can sort of get around that with another light sitting on top of the box. I have a pair of matrix led lights and if I need a softer light I'll put one of those on top of the box. Seems to work pretty well (like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TJ6JH6)

BeeAMaker

Last edited:

PenPal

My open light box is a conduit frame easily made flat by removing the four legs sitting on a two inch foam sheet. Works for me every time with a light either side and a top light sits on the frame.Takes me but a few minutes to take a pic then 5 more minutes to post.

Peter.

Attachments

• My light open box.JPG
    My light open box.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 242
  • DSCF0006-001.JPG
    DSCF0006-001.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 233

Rockytime

My open light box is a conduit frame easily made flat by removing the four legs sitting on a two inch foam sheet. Works for me every time with a light either side and a top light sits on the frame.Takes me but a few minutes to take a pic then 5 more minutes to post.

Peter.

I like it.More than adequate. Used outside no lights needed!

Top Bottom