Any interest in photoshop tips?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

Eric, thanks for this series of tips. I have never used Photoshop Elements, but have PSE 11 on the way along with an assortment of stuff needed to go with my new Nikon D3200. This schooling is invaluable (which oddly enough means it is indeed valuable!)
Steve Guzy

Kretzky

Eric thanks for all these tips. I have PSE 8 & hardly use it as I find it just too confusing. Just a thought, have you ever thought of writing a book?

Ligget

Great idea Eric, I own Photoshop CS5 extended and have the new CS6 extended on 30 day trial, although I am not an expert on PS either these tutorials will help many penmakers including me!

Darley

I would be interested about all photos tips Eric I do not have photoshop but will try to get it soon, Thank for your help you have been a good help to the IAP for a long time.

Serge

booney0717

Sounds good to me! Latley I've asked a few questions on my pictures and got quite a few responses and all were very usefull. I know for a fact that i would read what you have to say and learn a good geal from it. Thanks

Darley

Eric witch ptoshop are you talking about, I just look Ebay and they got lots of PS, CS to much to choose as I know nothing about photohop so what is your tutorial is base on ? help is welcome , thanks

Serge

Last edited:

Sylvanite

Eric witch ptoshop are you talking about, I just look Ebay and they got lots of PS, CS to much to choose ...
My tutorials are based on Photoshop Elements 8. Photoshop CS is the full professional version. Photoshop Elements is the consumer version which has some of the CS features stripped out.

I used to use the GIMP, which is free. It has most of the features that I described, but they are accessed differently. I switched to Photoshop Elements around version 4 or 5, and grew accustomed to its interface. I find it more intuitive than the GIMP.

Earlier versions of Photoshop Elements have these same functions, but the controls differ slightly. I only updated to Elements version 8 to get the photostitch and photomerge features. I have version 10 around somewhere, but haven't bothered to install it yet.

Regards,
Eric

Sylvanite

Which Photoshop?

A few people have sent me PMs, asking about which flavor of Photoshop to get. Since it's a topic of general interest, I decided to reply publicly.

The simplest answer is that if you don't know which features you need, then you should probably start off with Photoshop Elements.

There are three basic Photoshop packages:
  1. Photoshop Elements - is aimed at the consumer market. It is intended for people who want to edit digital photographs.
  2. Photoshop CS - is for the photo publishing industry. It contains more detailed editing controls, newer features, and (most importantly for publishing) CMYK color support.
  3. Photoshop CS Extended - is for those who want to produce 3-D looking images. It has tools to do the modeling, wrapping, and lighting effects that yield a three dimensional look.
Adobe Lightroom is another popular photo editing program, which excels in organizing your pictures. It has some editing abilities, but not as many as Photoshop. Think of it as a photo database program.

By far, the most popular photo editing program is Photoshop Elements, which is what I'm using for these tutorials.

I hope that helps,
Eric

76winger

With all the tips given by Eric, I think you'd be off to a great start with Photoshop Elements. I may eventually get it myself, but I'm still getting by with GIMP and a book on how to use it. Had I seen all of the good tips here two years ago (and had I not been financially strapped at the time), I'd have jumped on the Photoshop Elements bandwagon and not worried about the free GIMP.

Sylvanite

Is Photoshop the easiest photo editing software to learn for a beginners?

Adobe completely redid the user interface in Photoshop Elements 11 to make it easier to use. They changed the background color, made the text and icons bigger, and added "guided edits" that lead one through the process. When you want to know the details, you can view the underlying steps, or switch to expert mode for the full controls.

Some people really like the new look, others don't. It probably is easier to learn though. If you shop around and wait for a sale, you can get Photoshop Elements for about $50.00.

There may be other image editors that are simpler to use, and some are free, but Photoshop is the standard by which the others are judged.

Regards,
Eric

MikeL

I am a rookie at all of this but because of your first tutorial, I went out and bought elements 11. Ready to learn more. Thanks.

Oops. Responded to an old post, still like the tutorial :redface:

Last edited:

Sylvanite

Tip #9 - Putting the Pieces Together

Unlike the previous tips, I went straight to a Library article format this time. Please visit Tip #9: Putting the Pieces Together.

This one is also different in that it doesn't demonstrate a new technique, rather it shows how to tie all the previous tips together for a complete photo editing session. This article is an attempt to wrap all the rest into a cohesive whole.

I hope you enjoy it and find the series useful.

Regards,
Eric

Last edited by a moderator:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Photoshop

I have been using IPhoto, but would be interested in any info on photoshop.

Thank you for the effort!:)

SteveG

Eric,
Your work on these guides is very valuable. I have the Elements 11, but no experience yet. Recently bought a Nikon 3200,and intent to get a bit more than just competent with it as well as post processing. Thank You.

Top Bottom