1st real attempt at a good photo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

This is my 1st real effort to get a good photo on a pen. I usually throw them on a towel and 'click click...whatcha think?' Please let me know what I can do better. My set up is/was a bit lame 2 large foam core poster boards, 2 Lamps w/ bulbs covered in 1 ply of a 2 ply tissue, a white poly rag and one of my wifes silver rings. I edited in Picasa.

What I notice, Lint/Dust on pen, Lettering can be a little larger, Ring had scratches on it

IMG_1506.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1518.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ve3bax

looks pretty good!

my one suggestion would be to play with the lighting a little bit... move the lights up, or add a third light over top... the top section of the pen seem a tad dark... maybe even a reflector over the top for some soft light to reflect down..

--Dave

azamiryou

What's it leaning on? My eyes don't want to look at the pen while my brain is wondering what the heck that is.

Thanks, Jorge, I was also trying to figure out what the word "Blank" was doing there.

The photography looks good to me. Maybe, as Dave says, it could be a tad brighter. With your current light setup, adjusting the exposure would probably really blow out the foreground, so you'll need to get more light to where the pen is.

If your camera can do it, a little larger depth of field (smaller aperture) would be better. The ends look to be slightly out of focus. It's pretty minor (the focus is way better than "average" for pen photos), but I'm taking to heart your request for ideas for improvement. :)

MarkD

Looks pretty good Chris.
I'm not the best photographer but I feel that you have a lot of empty space in the pictures. Just a suggestion, but I would turn the pen so that it went from one corner of the picture to the other in order to fill the frame OR crop the pictures to remove the empty space.

Justturnin

Great start. Does it say blank tita... and should be black?

Jorge

What's 'Black' Titanium? ..........hangs head in shame:redface:...... Good catch. As many times as I looked at these I never caught it and I just copy and pasted it in so they are all the same.

Justturnin

looks pretty good!

my one suggestion would be to play with the lighting a little bit... move the lights up, or add a third light over top... the top section of the pen seem a tad dark... maybe even a reflector over the top for some soft light to reflect down..

--Dave

Good info.
I have a clamp light in my shop w/ the same bulbs. I am going to bring it in and try it.

Justturnin

What's it leaning on? My eyes don't want to look at the pen while my brain is wondering what the heck that is.

If your camera can do it, a little larger depth of field (smaller aperture) would be better. The ends look to be slightly out of focus. It's pretty minor (the focus is way better than "average" for pen photos), but I'm taking to heart your request for ideas for improvement. :)

It is leaning on one of my Wife's silver rings. Is it to busy?

I have no idea what Aperture is but I think I have been insulted:biggrin:. Out with the Manual. I took these Photos with my Wifes Canon SD1200 IS, if anyone knows how to adjust this Aperture.

Justturnin

Looks pretty good Chris.
I'm not the best photographer but I feel that you have a lot of empty space in the pictures. Just a suggestion, but I would turn the pen so that it went from one corner of the picture to the other in order to fill the frame OR crop the pictures to remove the empty space.

I totaly agree. I croped them but to keep them in true format that was as close as I could get it. I guess I could see if I can rotate the image a little. Not sure if Picasa will do that.

cwolfs69

Looks pretty good Chris.

I totaly agree. I croped them but to keep them in true format that was as close as I could get it. I guess I could see if I can rotate the image a little. Not sure if Picasa will do that.

picasa will not, but picnic, directly from picasa, will do it.

G1Pens

looks pretty good!

--Dave

+1 on the lighting.

Ideal would be 1 light on each side at about 45 degrees to the pen from about 45 degrees above the pen. A difused light is best.

MarkD

Looks pretty good Chris.

Actually, I recently downloaded Picasa 3 and it has a Straighten feature that might work for you.

Justturnin

Ideal would be 1 light on each side at about 45 degrees to the pen from about 45 degrees above the pen. A difused light is best.

good info. That is what I ended up with in the end, more or less, minus the light on top. I actually seperated a 2 ply tissue and layed 1 ply across the lights (CFL no fire danger from heat) to difuse them and it worked suprisingly well. I am going to upgrade my CFLs to the 100watt equivilent for the next pen and try again.

butchf18a

:usflag:Justturnin...good start. I been posting some good links on doing tabletop photography that address all the issues that have been mentioned. Take a look at them I'm sure you'll pick up some good hints and ideas. A lot can be done with minimal equipment.

butch

G1Pens

good info. That is what I ended up with in the end, more or less, minus the light on top. I actually seperated a 2 ply tissue and layed 1 ply across the lights (CFL no fire danger from heat) to difuse them and it worked suprisingly well. I am going to upgrade my CFLs to the 100watt equivilent for the next pen and try again.

You probably know this but get your CFL lights balanced to 6500K. You will like it a lot better.

Justturnin

You probably know this but get your CFL lights balanced to 6500K. You will like it a lot better.

I have no idea what that means.......:confused: Are you talking about the Lumens (light output)? If so do you mean each bulb or total? Looking at the Big Orange boxes website and the largest they have is a 68w (300w equivalant) that only get to 4200 Lumens. That think is the size of a football....:smile-big: When I am done w/ Pics I can tan.:biggrin:

ve3bax

I have no idea what that means.......:confused: Are you talking about the Lumens (light output)? If so do you mean each bulb or total? Looking at the Big Orange boxes website and the largest they have is a 68w (300w equivalant) that only get to 4200 Lumens. That think is the size of a football....:smile-big: When I am done w/ Pics I can tan.:biggrin:

6500k refers to the "Warmth" of the light produced... knowing the value that the bulb is balanced to will make properly adjusting your white balance in camera or in your photo editor of choice a snap...

EDIT:

"cool light" (blue) would be around 2500K, REALLY WARM (Orange) around 10000. 6500k if i recall correctly is somewhere around daylight when overcast... so.. not only will this info help with getting a good white balance setting, but choosing the correct bulb can give your photos a much more naturally lit look.

Last edited:

Justturnin

6500k refers to the "Warmth" of the light produced... knowing the value that the bulb is balanced to will make properly adjusting your white balance in camera or in your photo editor of choice a snap...

Ok I just found it after some I-net digging. The bulbs I have are the soft white which are 2700k. They have some daylight that are 5000K. Would that work or should I really look for some 6500K? Also, What wattage equivalent should I get?

Last edited:

cwolfs69

Ok I just found it after some I-net digging. The bulbs I have are the soft white which are 2700k. They have some daylight that are 5000K. Would that work or should I really look for some 6500K?

look for the 6500k

G1Pens

Ok I just found it after some I-net digging. The bulbs I have are the soft white which are 2700k. They have some daylight that are 5000K. Would that work or should I really look for some 6500K?

I got 6500K at Walmart !!! Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Justturnin

I just picked up 4 6500K CFL's from the Wally-Marty. I got the 100W Equivilent. Going to try agin in a few days. If All goes well I will post some new Pics. Thanks Everyone for the advise.

GrantH

EDIT:

"cool light" (blue) would be around 2500K, REALLY WARM (Orange) around 10000. 6500k if i recall correctly is somewhere around daylight when overcast... so.. not only will this info help with getting a good white balance setting, but choosing the correct bulb can give your photos a much more naturally lit look.

This is a bit off, in my experience.

Your red/orange light will be 2700k or so. The "white" light is 6500k bulbs. I say this because in hydroponic gardening you use HPS bulbs (2700k) for the flowering cycle and they emit a very reddish/orange light. During the veg cycle you use 6500k bulbs which are very white.

Top Bottom