Youth Beautiful Pen Contest Under 14 ages

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Welcome back to the Youth Beautiful Pen Contest just for the younger turners of the IAP.
This contest is to let our youngest members and turners, as well as our adult members children compete in the Bash Pen making competitions, competing only within their own age groups.
This contest is for those Under 14 years of age Your age group is determined by your age on the start of the Bash, February 1st. 2014

Only Ball Point Pens are allowed. NO roller balls or Fountain pens will be accepted.
No laser work or cnc produced pens or parts are allowed.
It must be made from a commercially available kit.
There will be no modifications to the kits allowed.
Adults may assist in the turning of the pen but the entrants must have "hands on" in the making of the pen. You are the best judge of your childs abilities to use power tools. Keep it safe!
The pen may not have been posted anywhere before the February 1st deadline.
Up to three pictures of the pen may be submitted there will be an entry form to submit your pen.

The contest will start on February First and will entries will be due no later than Sunday the 17th at 11:59pm EST. Entry Forms will be available at the start of the bash. Pictures will be posted and a poll or polls will be taken to determine the winning 3 pens. Depending on the amount of submissions we may need to have more than 1 poll to select the winning pens.
Submissions:
All entries are due 11:59pm EST. Sunday February 17th
You must use the entry form that will be provided to submit your pen.
YOU MUST SUBMIT THE PEN UNDER YOUR PARENTS/GRANDPARENTS/ADULT USER NAME. If your old enough to be a member you may use your own member name.
The first poll(s) will be posted on Feb. 18th, and voting will end on Feb. 21st the final polls if needed will be posted and the voting results will become public at that time.

All entries will be posted at the same time following the contests deadline. This will give all entries the same time "in the spotlight".

1st place ---16oz casting kit from Alumilite and 10 Leroi Elegant pen sets from Simtty's pen Works. Prizes valued at $100.00
2nd place---Glues from Satellite City instant glues and 16 oz casting kit from Alumilite. Prizes valued at $60.00
3rd place---Box of Blanks from member Stonepecker and 16 oz casting kit from Alumilite. Prizes valued at $45.00

1-Random Box of Blanks from member alankulwicki7

Rules are subject to change for clarification or safety.

Please take the time to teach your child the safety rules for working with the tools we use. Have fun and show us your Beautiful pens!

Thank you to all the Members and Sponsors for your generosity.

Last edited by a moderator:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Putting on my ceremonial robe and white wig........ No! Thou mayest enter 1 pen per mini adult! Gavel falls, "So let it be written So let it be done" . If you want to compete with Buzz's number of entries I suggest you have more kids. Quickly if your going to make a pen with them for this years contest!

Nick

Younger turners

Great idea for including the younger turners. Think about it all the young folks that enter as well as their parents are all winners, in that they get to spend quality time with each other producing something useful. The process will stay with the young folks for a long time.

Best of luck to all the entrants and remember......BE CAREFULL!!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Yes! We have our first entry and its a beauty! We are underway and going strong!

lyonsacc

Mud Slinging

Family picture from this summer. Out team name is:

Lyons Eat MEAT

Buzzards are meat - just sayin'

You can tell Miss Katie that Becca has been planning her pen (now all she has to do is make it . . . )

Attachments

• 9-15-13 079 2.jpg
    9-15-13 079 2.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 214

woodwzrd

I had my 11 year old in the shop last night and came in with a dandy. He did well for his second pen. My 8 year old son is next and even my 6 year old sweetheart said she wants to make a pen this year. I work second shift so we will be having a busy day next Saturday to meet the deadline :good:

Buzzzz4

Lyons Eat MEAT

You can tell Miss Katie that Becca has been planning her pen (now all she has to do is make it . . . )

Buzzards eat meat as well, Lyons are meat. Also just sayin'
This is Katie a couple years ago, she's a bit more aggressive now. I'd show the others, but you might get frightened away :biggrin:

Attachments

• P6181090.jpg
    P6181090.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 170

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Ooo that looks like an angry child if ever there was one. I bet someone told her that her pen didnt win!

lyonsacc

Lyons Eat MEAT

Buzzards eat meat as well, Lyons are meat. Also just sayin'
This is Katie a couple years ago, she's a bit more aggressive now. I'd show the others, but you might get frightened away :biggrin:

I might not let the kids see that until they are done with their pens. Don't want to scare them away . . .

edicehouse

All joking aside, please remember have their hair tied up to keep it clear of the lathe, they wear proper Protective Equipment. This is all for fun and bonding with the kids, keep them safe, and teach them proper safety (another words the stuff we don't do).

Actually mredburn, my girls like going hunting, and get upset if "we didn't catch anything daddy"

lyonsacc

All joking aside, please remember have their hair tied up to keep it clear of the lathe, they wear proper Protective Equipment. This is all for fun and bonding with the kids, keep them safe, and teach them proper safety (another words the stuff we don't do).

Actually mredburn, my girls like going hunting, and get upset if "we didn't catch anything daddy"

Becca won't go near the lathe without a face shield and hair band - she has a healthy fear of machinery. The boys, well they just like the face shield because it is "cool". They grumble about the dust masks . . . but if you draw on it with a sharpie you can make it look like a storm trooper which works for the boys.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We have only one entry and Im concerned that the "LIL Buzzards" are not going to make it. I havent heard a PEEP out of them yet! And those I love Bambi pictures dont cut it. All this trash talk and not a pen from either side. There will need to be some serious shop time this weekend from both sides.

edicehouse

It has been cold here in VA, rainy, and work has me tied up more ways than Pinoco (however you spell it). Angelina should be prepping her stuff tonight.

woodwzrd

The two youngest just got their blank glued up and are eagerly waiting to turn them. The temp is dropping quickly so we will probably get back at it after church tomorrow. The oldest has his done and ready for the photo shoot.

Nick

Had some fun this AM with my 10 year old. Helping him apply a CA finish to his pen - we sang silly songs the whole time . . . and he didn't stick to anything when he finished.

That is great, you both are winners in that you had quality time with each other.
good luck to your son.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Hey Dave great times with your boy. That is what it is really all about.

Now, for the rest of you Im not saying your child is lazy but I might think that as adults you may be slacking off!
Get that child out to the shop and make him/her have fun. :eek:Thats right, they will have fun and enjoy it or its off to time out. :beat-up:We all know that children secretly desire to make pens. They dream about it in their sleep. They just dont always tell you.:biggrin:

Truthfully there is no better way to spend time with a kid than teaching them to make something and sharing your time with them. Be safe, have fun, even sing silly songs, and we look forward to seeing a pen when your done.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Great news the LiL Buzzzzards have arrived in full force and the pens are awesome!
Yet there is still time, and while we will struggle to overcome greatness in the pen making world there is yet hope that on the horizon a new champion, a Pen maker of Pen makers will appear. With their submission in hand and a glow of conquest on their face they will take their rightful place among the great ones!

sschering

Argh.. Way to much time bent over helping the little guy guide the tools. My back is hurting..
The two kids got their blanks turned, sanded and buffed.
Tomorrow is assembly day!

Top Bottom