Youth Beautiful Pen Contest 14-16 Years old

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Welcome to this years Youth pen contests just for the younger turners of the IAP.
This years 14 -16 Youth Beautiful Pen contest is sponsored by MAJ'K color changing blanks.
I would like to take this time to thank Ed DePietro (ed icehouse) for his generosity and support of our young adult turners.

This contest is to let our young members and turners compete in the Bash Pen making competitions, competing only within their own age groups. This contest is for Ages 14 to 16.
Your age group is determined by your age on the start of the Bash, Febuary 1st. 2014

Only Ball Point Pens are allowed. NO roller balls or Fountain pens will be accepted.
No laser work or cnc produced pens or parts are allowed.
It must be made from a commercially available kit.
For this year there will be minor modifications to the kits allowed.
Modifications or elimination of the center band and finial are allowed.
The pen may not have been posted anywhere before the February 1st deadline.
Up to three pictures of the pen may be submitted there will be an entry form to submit your pen. 2 pictures must be of the pen only. Pictures of your hands holding the pen are fine. You may submit a picture of yourself holding the pen for final posting but it will not be used for judging the pens. All pictures will be posted at the same time to have equal time in the spot light.

The contest will start on February First and will entries will be due no later than Sunday the 17th 2014 at 11:59pm EST. Entry Forms will be available at the start of the bash. Pictures will be posted and a poll or polls will be taken to determine the winning 3 pens. Depending on the amount of submissions we may need to have more than 1 poll to select the winning pens.
Submissions:
All entries are due 11:59pm EST. Sunday February 17th 2014
You must use the entry form that will be provided to submit your pen.

You can submit your pen under your member ID or your parent/adult members ID if you dont have a member ID.

The first poll(s) will be posted on Feb. 18th, and voting will end on Feb. 23rd If needed the final polls will be posted on the 24th ending on the 28th and the voting results will become public at that time.

All entries will be posted at the same time to have the "same time in the spot light".
1st place ---$125.00 worth of Blanks
2nd place---$75.00 worth of Blanks
3rd place---$60.00 worth of Blanks.

Rules are subject to change for clarification or safety.

Parents!
Please take the time to teach your child the safety rules for working with the tools we use. Have fun be safe and show us your Beautiful pens!

Last edited by a moderator:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We have some very talented young adult turners last year and I look forward to their submissions again this year. THe primary reason we dont let the adults enter this contest is to save you embarrassment. Thats right, they would whip the socks off you and cause you to hide your head in shame...
Just because you act 14 doesnt mean you can enter Either. I suggest you find a child, yours, the neighbors, even a grandchild or two and make a pen with them and help build a brighter future! (Some where a flag is waving and a band plays) A very big thank you to Ed Ice house and his support of our young adult pen turners.

:usflag: For the Children. :usflag:

Thanks, mredburn and edicehouse! I've been working on a rollerball for a while for this! Back to the drawing boards.. :rolleyes:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I believe next year we will open it up to Roller ball and Fountain pens for this age group.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
:biggrin:Any one got a pen made yet? If no one enters Ed has to send me all the blanks...:biggrin:

How about a show of hands for those that will be entering?

Tage

:biggrin:Any one got a pen made yet? If no one enters Ed has to send me all the blanks...:biggrin:

How about a show of hands for those that will be entering?

My son will be entering. Hopefully he will start this weekend. Busy time with swim season ending.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We do have an entry as of today so he wont be alone! Glad he could join in and we look forward to seeing his pen.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We have a competition!:alien: Yes we have the 2nd entry into the 14-16 year old catagory. Both exhibit advanced skills worthy of any adult pen turner

edicehouse

6p2h3.jpg

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Great news Ed we can have a Party we have three great entrees with fantastic pens. Sorry but you dont get to see them.:tongue:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
ED! We have teaser Photos! Yes your begging and whining have bugged me enough (and we have some entries helps) that I have teaser photos for you!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Official correction the contest entries are Due Monday The 17th not Sunday the 17th. I though I had corrected all those .... sigh

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
ok since Ed has behaved for at least half a day I present in no particular order our first three entries.

Attachments

• teaser 2.jpg
    teaser 2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 140
  • teaser 3.jpg
    teaser 3.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 140
  • teaser 4.jpg
    teaser 4.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 144

edstreet

might want to pull those.
----
teaser 3
picasa
shot taken 10/25/2013 at 8:07am.
modified 2/7/2014 at 9:20am.
Canon PowerShot SD1200 IS
f/2.8, 1/15second, iso 400
<exif:ImageUniqueID>f009aaab4e5b70117a69cc582fce4724</exif:ImageUniqueID>
----
teaser 4

iphone 4
shot taken 2/6/2014 at 12:1am
1/20
f/2.8,
iso 80
<exif:ImageUniqueID>e974bdf1b1a66f0f622edab3ea63b49e</exif:ImageUniqueID>

----
teaser 2 was scrubbed, good job whomever did that.

Brooks803

I'm sure you could. But who cares? Do you really want to ruin a contest?

I should have phrased my original message differently to: think we SHOULD narrow it down from there?

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
There is still time to buckle down and make a pen. Now I cant say skip classes or dont go to Karate or Hockey or Soccer Practice but you might have to consider it if your pen isnt done yet. Just saying........... Well Ok I can say skip the practice but not your classes. Maybe its a good woodshop project! Do we still have wood shop classes in school?

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Great gobs of burning Love we need more pens. Where for art thou Pens of great design?

I just know your just burning up the shop time making a great entry at just this very moment.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Dont forget to do you home work today gang! That right making a pen is home work.. You are working at home right?

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Gooooooooood morning IAP

We are entering into the final weekend to get your pen made and submit it to the contest. Now would be a good time to finalize that design and possibly just possibly start to turn it. Dont want to get in to big a hurry but times a wastin.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Hey its a great day to get a pen made and submitted to the contest we currently have 4 entries so its going to be a good weekend to get a pen in.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Just to point out close of the contest to entries is Monday the 17th at 11:59 pm
thats a clarification of the original rules that have Sunday as the 17th.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
voting does not start until tomorrow. They have until midnite tonite my time to submit an entry. then tomorrow the voting starts.The voting is hiden until its over.

Good luck Mihael

Top Bottom