Winners of the Youth Beautiful Pen Contest. 14-16

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We have the results of the Youth Beautiful Pen Contest sponsored by MajK Blanks. Thank you ED!

It was a great contest and we have some great pen submitted by very talanted young Turners.

However the members have spoken and they have picked 3 great pens as winners of the contest.

IN Third Place

Pen Number 1 in the polls "Fire and Brimstone"!
Third Place wins $60.00 in MajK Blanks

Made by tgsean
Age 15

"This is my third pen, I cast the blank myself with PR, and the pen is a Sierra Ball point pen.I finished it with CA finish. I've taken the photos myself with Dad's camera. I've called the pen Fire and Brimstone."

109925d1392702463-voting-youth-beautiful-pen-contest-14-16-years-old-fire-brimstone.jpg

Congratulations! on winning Third Place

In second Place

Pen number 3 in the polls
Second place prize is $75.00 worth of MajK Blanks

Made by "Tage"
Age 14

PSI Celtic Pen in Ancient Bog Oak with aluminum and basswood Celtic knot inlay. This is my first attempt at a Celtic knot, cut by hand on a miter box with a blank that was not square!. I learned a lot. I didn't want a glossy CA finish, I wanted a more natural finish, so I did BLO and CA with a wax topcoat. Thanks for looking.

109942d1392702783-voting-youth-beautiful-pen-contest-14-16-years-old-celticpen1.jpg

And Now Ladies and Gentlemen, Children of All Ages!

IN FIRST PLACE

Pen number 5 in the polls
First Place wins $125.00 worth of MajK blanks .

Made By Mihael UA

Age 16

Hello everybody! My name's Misha Stepenko. I'm 16. I study and live in Ukraine. I've made pens not so long, about two months. It's my tenth pen. I'm using my grandfather's woodworking machine. He's former carpenter. This pen is made by simplest hardware: 7 millimeters "slimline". I took European oak and maple. I chosen chess style because it's very modern and popular today. My wooden pen has got elegant and convenient form for writing. I've got many creative ideas and I promise to show you! Thank you for your attention.

109958d1392703164-voting-youth-beautiful-pen-contest-14-16-years-old-mua-1.jpg

109959d1392703164-voting-youth-beautiful-pen-contest-14-16-years-old-mua-2.jpg

Congratulations to all of you that entered and especially to our great winners!

Attachments

• Michael with Fire and Brimstone.jpg
    Michael with Fire and Brimstone.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 296
  • pen001.jpg
    pen001.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 276
  • mua 3.jpg
    mua 3.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Lets take the time to congratulate all the Young Adults who entered a pen. Please feel free if you entered a pen to post your picture with the pen in the soyp forum and tell us some more about the pen!

Tage

Wow! My son is really excited about his 2nd place finish. The pen really stretched his skills. All of those pens were winners and all contestants did a great job. Thanks to all who voted and special thanks to Ed who donated the prizes and to Mike for organizing the contest.

edicehouse

Wow! My son is really excited about his 2nd place finish. The pen really stretched his skills. All of those pens were winners and all contestants did a great job. Thanks to all who voted and special thanks to Ed who donated the prizes and to Mike for organizing the contest.

Jersey.... Well if you are a Jets fan he's d'qed.... LOL Go Giants. Hey need your address so I can get them shipped.

tgsean

My son Michael is so chuffed with his 3rd place, he has only turned 3 pens in his life, and that too he cast his own blank, I am so proud of him. How does he get the price?

tgsean

Well done to all the contestants, lovely pens and great work! Congrats to the winners and all who entered, well done.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
What fantastic work guys! You should be very proud of yourselves. Well done.

Kudos also to Ed for the donations.

clieb91

Great job to everyone that participated. It was really tough to choose. A big congrats to the winners. Look forward to seeing your future pens.

CtL

bobleibo

Once again I get shown up by rookies....and young ones at that!
Nice work by everyone. I cannot wait to see what you can do in a few years if this is where you're starting from now.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Congratulations to you all - these were awesome entries. I was especially impressed that Tage's son hand-cut that celtic knot on a miter box. I haven't tried to make one yet, but I know that took a lot of work.

Tage

Jersey.... Well if you are a Jets fan he's d'qed.... LOL Go Giants. Hey need your address so I can get them shipped.

No sir. Big Blue all the way!

yaroslaw

Whew! 1st place goes to Ukraine! It is really symbolic these days!!!

I want to tell you a little bit about the winner, Michael.

Few month ago young person called me and asked me if I can tell him about pens that I make. He made some simple wooden (we'd call them "kitless" now?:) pens for local craft contest, then searched internet and found my website. He told me that he want to make more "professional-looking pens".
Knowing really well economical situation in Ukraine, especially in small villages he is from, I kept away from "buy a new lathe, chuck, mandrel, bushings, end trimmer, etc etc". So I spent several hours (in several days) talking with him by phone explaining how he can make penturning setup with lowest money possible. That involved TBC with calipers without bushings, squaring with a skew without end-trimmer and all that "advanced" stuff.
After some time he visited me at knife show where I had a small booth with pens and I gave him some pen kits I had laying around without any plans on turning. Later on, making order from Exotics I ordered some pen kits also for him, to save him on shipment and high discount I have at Exotics:)
Third time he visited me to help him make a photo for contest (which I told him about just a few days before deadline).

And that strikes me. Michael was never shown how to make a pen, he had no mandrel, bushings, barrel trimmer and all that staff (that all video "tutorials" use). He made his own 60 degree centers I told him about for TBC. He had no source of supplies of good CA and stuff. But he has a lot of talent and willing to do a pen and made a really elaborate and beautiful pen!

I'm really proud of him:) My friends are laughing that I consult a competitor, but if that would go that way I would have a partner soon to open a pen company:):):)
So now I am not THE ONLY penturner in Ukraine, yay:)

PS all entries, not just winners, are just great! I wish I knew about penturning when I was that young:)

alphageek

Former Moderator
Thanks for that background! It was a nice read.

That's what IAP is all about! If we were afraid of giving info to our competition then this place wouldn't exist.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We are not just competitors we are friends and friends support each other even when competeting. In sharing we all grow stronger.

plantman

:bananen_smilies051: Pens are fantastic!! There is a bright future ahead for these young people. I would also like to thank the fathers, grandfathers, uncles, mothers, IAP members, and stangers like Yaroslaw who give there time and knowledge freely to those who want to learn. No matter what happens in life, you will never lose the knowledge you have gained over the years. Only when you die is this knowledge lost!!! Please pass that knowledge on to someone else. Jim S

Top Bottom