Beginners Beautiful Pen Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

Beginners Beautiful Pen Contest

Sponsored by JohnU Fantastic Feathers

Here are the rules:
1 - This is a contest to find the most beautiful kit pen made by a beginner. Use your own self assessment to determine if you belong in this class or not.

2 - It must be a ballpoint kit pen with no alterations beyond what the kit instructions call for. Anything else will be disqualified.

3 - The only restrictions on the types of blanks used are as follows.
  • No Laser, CNC, or Decorative lathes allowed to be used.
  • No decals
4 - Only one pen per person, so make it your best work. Take the best pictures you can because the quality of your pen will be based on what we can see. Keep your backgrounds and props simple so they do not distract the eye from your pen. A maximum of 2 photos will be allowed.

5 - The pen must be made for the contest by the person entering the contest and not have been shown before Feb 1 2014 on IAP or any other site. If it is determined that it has been, it will be disqualified and any prize won will be forfeited. Please do not post a photo of your entry ANYWHERE until the contest is over and the winners have been announced.

6 - Finalists will be chosen based on the fit, finish, and "wow" factor of your pen. The winners will be chosen by an open poll.
  • If there is an excessive number of entries a panel of judges will narrow down the field for public voting.
7 - To participate in this or any other IAP activity your public profile must contain your real first and last name as well as you place of residence (city & state or equivalent). Please be advised that information contained in the public profile is not viewable by non-members of the IAP. Members who have failed to successfully complete any previous IAP activities, and who have been notified by the Activities Manager of such, are not eligible to participate in any IAP activities.

8 - ALL entries must use the ENTRY FORM to submit their pen. There are a few requirements to be filled out.
  • The name of the kit.
  • A brief description of the pen/materials.
  • A maximum of 2 photos.
The contest starts Feb. 1st and will end at 9:00pm EST on Feb. 24th.
  • 9:01pm EST is to late! Please do not wait until the last minute.
  • Entries will be publicly made after the contest has ended. This will give all entries the same amount of time in the "Spotlight".
  • The public poll will be posted Feb. 25th
  • Public voting will end Feb. 28th
Prizes will be awarded for first, second and third places. All Prizes have been generously donated by JohnU Fantastic Feathers. Thank you John!
  • 1st Place: $125 gift cert to IAP Vendor of winners choice and gift box of JohnU blanks
  • 2nd Place: $75 gift cert to IAP Vendor of winners choice and gift box of JohnU blanks
  • 3rd Place: $60 gift cert to IAP Vendor of winners choice and gift box of JohnU blanks
If there are ANY questions about the rules or your entry please feel free to send me a PM.

Last edited by a moderator:

southernclay

haha, I had a rollerball with decals planned!

Am I allowed to enter the beginner contest as well as any of the others ex. slimline contest?

Thanks!

Brooks803

Good question Warren. There is no rule saying you can't enter this contest and not any of the others. The best answer I can give is that if you think you can compete at the higher level then you most likely belong in those contests.

There is no age limit, # of pens made limit, or length of turning time limit for this contest. We are going on the honor system.

Brooks803

5 Days in and we've had 3 entries so far! Don't wait until the last minute to get yours in. John U has donated some top notch prizes not just in the gift certificates but he's including a box blanks as well! IMO these are the best prizes of the bash so don't miss your chance!

twinsen

Decorative Lathe?

I must be a beginner... what is a "Decorative Lathe" under rule 3 about pen blank restrictions?

FYI: First day on iap, total pen noob, just started turning last summer.

edstreet

frenchlathevendeuvre.jpg

This one is in mother of pearl and abalone shells.

rossvh

tiwnsen,

Welcome to IAP! It is an amazing site. You'll find it extremely helpful. These people know what they're talking about and I especially appreciate their willingness to share ideas - and opinions! :)
RossVH

Quality Pen

Oh man I just found this thread! I might do this!! Tonight we finished building our work bench and I turned on a lathe for the first time in my life haha... I was worried the blank would fly off and impale my chest!

Cmiles1985

Hopefully my stuff gets to the house Tuesday like it's supposed to! My darling wife is making the blank for my pen entry now... I wasn't really planning on entering, but all of my new shop toys need to be put to good use!

Quality Pen

Hopefully my stuff gets to the house Tuesday like it's supposed to! My darling wife is making the blank for my pen entry now... I wasn't really planning on entering, but all of my new shop toys need to be put to good use!
You've been making pens for only a few months and cast your own molds?

How did you find the process? I'm really keen on casting my own molds but I just turned on any lathe for the first time a few hours ago.

Cmiles1985

My wife has been on the largest slope of the learning curve for polymer clay. She's making a blank with her progress. As for casting, I just bought a paint pot and vacuum pump yesterday at Harbor Freight (both on sale plus 20% off entire purchase over $100, so I basically got the paint pot free). Once I go back to work tomorrow, I'll swing by a local store to pick up all necessary fittings and hose, then wait for alumilite to arrive in the mail (20% discount). Hopefully I'll have the vacuum/pressure pot built by the time I get some alumilite and pigment powder!

How did you find the process? I'm really keen on casting my own molds but I just turned on any lathe for the first time a few hours ago.

edstreet

My wife has been on the largest slope of the learning curve for polymer clay. She's making a blank with her progress. As for casting, I just bought a paint pot and vacuum pump yesterday at Harbor Freight (both on sale plus 20% off entire purchase over $100, so I basically got the paint pot free). Once I go back to work tomorrow, I'll swing by a local store to pick up all necessary fittings and hose, then wait for alumilite to arrive in the mail (20% discount). Hopefully I'll have the vacuum/pressure pot built by the time I get some alumilite and pigment powder!

Interesting to note this opens up a whole new can of worms with the contest, one which I have already had questions about but have yet to voice any thing in public.

southernclay

Cmiles1985

Ed, thanks for pointing that out. I just had a major "aha" moment as I sit here breaking down my wife's pasta machine. I spent most of the day thinking about your comment, and I realize how foolish I was to post something REMOTELY descriptive. I will retract the thought of entering this contest this year. After all, I may still be considered a beginner next year!! I'll also slow my hands down to let my brain catch up when posting!

Interesting to note this opens up a whole new can of worms with the contest, one which I have already had questions about but have yet to voice any thing in public.

edstreet

Ed, thanks for pointing that out. I just had a major "aha" moment as I sit here breaking down my wife's pasta machine. I spent most of the day thinking about your comment, and I realize how foolish I was to post something REMOTELY descriptive. I will retract the thought of entering this contest this year. After all, I may still be considered a beginner next year!! I'll also slow my hands down to let my brain catch up when posting!

One thing to note. I do pick up on many things and I was not trying to discourage you from entering. For the record you could just say that attempt failed and you are onto attempt #2 and still enter. HINT HINT HINT HINT.

In fact please *DO* enter and don't be discouraged at all.

Brooks803

Folks, just a reminder. ALL entries must be a BALLPOINT kit ONLY. Anything else will have to be disqualified and deleted.

As most of the other contests are ending this one as well as the intermediate still has almost a week left to submit pens!

Eddie

Hi I just joined yesterday and noticed this contest is active.
I have only turned one pen and am very new to the lathe but wanted to enter.

But I had a question...
Would turning your own center band be allowed on a slimline pen, or would it be disqualified?

I am in the middle of making my 2nd pen and thought it may be a good entry but I lost my center band. I figured I would turn a simple one but didnt know if it would disqualify me.

Thanks!

Eddie

@Brooks803 -- I thought that may be the case. Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it.
Guess I will have to try to come up with something else quickly.

Brooks803

Happy to help Eddie. There's still plenty of time to get another pen made. I purposely chose to end the contest on Monday night so people would have the full weekend to get any last minute pens made.

Dandspens

Just found this page last nite. Cool place for info and asking questions. Just started turning pens last month. Nothing to fancy, but today I'm going shopping for materials to start casting my own blanks.

nascrdad

I just put mine in. Too much overtime lately. I did get to spend time with my son in the shop last weekend, so I am a winner either way.

Top Bottom