Rule Clarification

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

The rules for this contest state that entries must be based on a slimline kit. In the past, trimline kits have been allowed. The post laying out the rules shows a sample picture with a clip from a trimline kit. I am issuing the following rule clarification.

Entries to the Russ Fairfield Memorial Modified Slimline Contest must be based on a kit that uses two 7mm tubes and a cross style refill.

Any questions or comments, post them here.

Ed

My opinion is to stick with the slimline to keep the rules simple.

How about making people declare the vendor and sku of the slimline kit in the entry?

Hi Brian - Unfortunately, that horse is out of the barn. Trimlines have already been used in prior years contests and the rules post for this year includes a picture that uses a trimline clip. But your advice is spot on.

Re-reading this thread again, I can see that my rule clarification has introduced less clarity. As such, I'm going to clarify the clarification.

Entries must be based on a slimline kit, but clips from trimlines may be used.

Sorry for any confusion. Moderating these contests is a lot harder than I thought it was going to be.

Ed

Moderator's note: I merged the second part of this post into the initial post so that folks did not miss the clarification. That is why it may read a little funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You know that would include several types of 7mm Euro kits?

(Not objecting, just trying to be certain you are aware of the options)

EdB

toddlajoie

I wasn't around back in the day when these kits came into being, but to me it seems like the Trimline and the Euro are kit versions of the Russ designs...

Dan Masshardt

You know that would include several types of 7mm Euro kits? (Not objecting, just trying to be certain you are aware of the options) EdB

There are a few very different 7mm kits too.

I would think that the pen would need to have the basic look of a modified slimline.

A concava does not look anything like a slimline.

The euro clip is pretty plain and wouldn't be a problem I wouldn't think. The rounded top would change the look more substantially I would think and would make it more like a euro. Of course, most Russ pens don't use a stock centerband and that's one of the designating features of different 7mm kits.

To me, changing out the clip so long as it has a regular flat top (or doing something with the blank material) is modifying the slimline style and appropriate for this kind of challenge.

Opinions may vary.

Ed McDonnell

All entries to this contest must be modifcations of a kit. The modifications must result in a pen that shares design elements with one of the four styles of Russ Fairfield pens identified in the rules.

If someone were to use a kit that looked like a Russ Fairfield design and submit it without any modifications, it would not be a valid entry.

Now Ed B raises a good point. Having already allowed trimline kits to be used for this contest in the past, should we now also allow the use of parts from "euro" style 7mm kits (assuming they weren't already used in the past with nobody noticing.)? I don't see a problem with that.

However, if the resulting pen looks like a stock kit build instead of a modified build it will not be a valid entry.

Thoughts?

Ed

Brian G

My opinion is to stick with the slimline to keep the rules simple. I've started mine, and I'm sticking with it. :)

How about making people declare the vendor and sku of the slimline kit in the entry?

Added: if you stick with the 2 7mm tube kit, then declare the kit style and vendor in the entry.

Last edited:

Ed McDonnell

You know that would include several types of 7mm Euro kits? (Not objecting, just trying to be certain you are aware of the options) EdB

There are a few very different 7mm kits too.

I would think that the pen would need to have the basic look of a modified slimline.

A concava does not look anything like a slimline.

The euro clip is pretty plain and wouldn't be a problem I wouldn't think. The rounded top would change the look more substantially I would think and would make it more like a euro. Of course, most Russ pens don't use a stock centerband and that's one of the designating features of different 7mm kits.

To me, changing out the clip so long as it has a regular flat top (or doing something with the blank material) is modifying the slimline style and appropriate for this kind of challenge.

Opinions may vary.

Hi Dan - You raised a very valid issue that needed to be raised. Trimlines had been allowed to slip into the competition and that raised questions that needed answers. Thanks for that.

At the end of the day, whatever kit components are used, a pen modified to look like it was made by Russ must be the end result. The metal rounded top from a "Euro" style or the one piece clip assembly from a concavia would not result in a pen that looked like something Russ would have made.

As people are deciding which kit they are going to modify and what components they want to use from the kits, they should keep in mind that the end result must look like something Russ would have made.

If you want to play it safe, use a slimline kit. If you want to use the clip from a trimline kit, it's already been done and that's not a problem.

If you want to use components from other 7mm kits and you are wondering if your pen will be accepted as a valid entry, PM me with your proposal and I'll give you my opinion.

Ed

Top Bottom