The Almost Daily Puzzler in Remembrance of Landon Smith

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
The Almost Daily Puzzler in Remembrance of Landon Smith!

profilepic4332_6.gif

This one is for you, Landon!

Landon Smith was a long time member of IAP whose life was cut way too short last year in his mid thirties due to a brain tumor. Landon was always one to step up and contribute tremendously to the running of the annual Birthday Bash and was the one who originally came up with the idea of having crossword puzzles during the bash. He would come up with a couple of puzzles and I would create the web pages for them to work.

Last year, Landon was sick and unable to do anything so I took on the task. If you recall, we had a number of various puzzles and it was a very popular contest. Unfortunately, things have been super busy this year with my business and I have not had the time to spend the MANY hours it takes developing puzzles and publishing them. I apologize profusely for that!

I have created one crossword puzzle for your enjoyment! I believe it will be quite difficult but who knows!

Here is how it works:

Visit this link: http://iapbash.org/bash9/index.php/puzzle and enter your IAP username, the date you start the puzzle, and the time. Once you hit submit, you will be taken to the actual puzzle. You will need to complete the puzzle online. You will find a link to print out the puzzle and clues for your convenience but you will still have to fill out the online version. Once you complete the puzzle, you will receive a congratulations message along with a completion code.

At the bottom of the page is a link that will take you to another form. There you will enter your IAP username again, as well as the date and time you completed the puzzle. In both cases, be sure to use the official time shown at the top of the page. You will also have a field to enter your completion code. Enter it EXACTLY as you see it!

Here are the rules:

A couple of notes and warnings...last year, I had someone try to cheat and look at the source code of the puzzle to find the completion code. This year, the completion code has been obfuscated so don't waste your time! Don't try to cheat on the time entries! When you complete the forms, a copy of the form is sent to me by e-mail with a time stamp. If the time stamps don't match, you will be disqualified! I know most will not even want to cheat so this is most likely not for you and I am sorry I even have to put this up here. However, once burned...you know the rest!

Here is how you win:

Quite simply, the person with the quickest time in completing the puzzle wins!

Here is what you win:

Third Place: $60 Value
1-Hot Stuff Pro Kit CA Glue Value: $40
Donated by Satellite City instant glues
1-16oz Kit of Alumilite Clear Casting Resin $20
Donated by Alumilite

Second Place: Value $75
1-pack of assorted carbon fiber pen blanks
Donated by IAP Member CaptG

First Place:
Value $110
Box of 8 pen blanks custom cast to your liking. These can include full size pine cones, mini-cones, antler bits, acorn tops, cherry pits, or wormy wood
Donated by IAP member Buzz4

Please be sure to thank these gracious prize donors with a PM or e-mail! Also don't forget who supports you and the IAP when it comes time to make future purchases! Without prize donors, the bash would not be what it is!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

I'm not able to login, anyone else having issues? Just being sure it isn't me, I'm trying from phone can look on a CPU in a bit

Thanks for putting this together, sounds fun and cool tribute. Sounds like Landon was a great guy from all accounts

Last edited:

Edward Cypher

Just like to thank Curtis for doing this. Hey next year I think I would be interested in doing this. If I can just do the puzzle and not worry about the security on the internet side. Hit me up after the BASH when things slow down.

Edward Cypher

longbeard

I just tried from my computer and i couldn't log on either. Also, i didn't see where to put the date and time.

Harry

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I think Curtis is just trying to get us frustrated enough to enter every password we can think of - to try and get our bitcoin passwords - it's a big conspiracy! :)

(I have no idea if a bitcoin has a password, but they alluded to such on the news today) :)

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Sorry folks, after messing around for many hours last night trying to make everything perfect, I forgot to change a setting to make it public rather than private. It has now been fixed and should work for everyone. There is no need to login so if you see a login page asking for username and password, you are seeing a cached page. Clear your cache and you should get a form to enter your IAP name, date, and time.

sschering

I'm sure anyone who isn't home tending to a sick 7 year old can beat my time.

If I forgot to enter my finish time in military time does it mess up the calculation?

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Yes, PLEASE be sure to enter your time in the format exactly as presented on the official clock at the top of the page. If not, you entry will most likely be disqualified inadvertently. Once the contest ends, I will download all the data and use Excel to manipulate it. If you enter 3:30 when it should have been 15:30, it is most likely going to calculate with a negative time. By that point, it will be difficult to determine what your actual time was and frankly, I don't have the time to do it. Follow the directions and all will be fine!

Top Bottom