How do you connect with Social Media?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Do you currently use any Social Media (Facebook Page, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest etc.) to sell your pens or pen products? If so, please send me the link or post it here. I would like to make an IAP Social Media Directory to add to our panel discussion handout for Mid-Atlantic Penturners Gathering.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnGreco

Facebook and Instagram and, interestingly enough, Instagram is really beginning to do well for me. A few possible sales leads as well as a retailer interested in a line of mine. I don't have a knack for Pinterest despite giving it a try, same for G+.

facebook.com/grecowoodcrafting

instagram.com/greco_woodcrafting

Those are just the top 4 according to my research I am using for the presentation. I am curious...apparently Facebook has an 80% growth of 55+ users in the last three years, so it will be interesting to see how many people are tapping into any of the social media resources yet, or if it is just for fun. We have done other link exchanges on a few Facebook groups, but I haven't seen social media mentioned as much on here.

Once the directory gets moving, it would be nice if we can try another Facebook link exchange, where IAP members go through the directory and visit / like other member's pages that they haven't been to yet. This would be a great way to get to what each other does and inspiration for your starting/improving your own social media links.

I will probably publish the handout online since it will be more useful in an interactive format. Any other suggestions are definitely welcome since this will be an ongoing work in progress...please continue to share here and let us know your links and ideas.

JohnGreco

I would just advise against people posting a comment on a page like "Liked your page, here's mine" with a link. FB frowns upon link exchanges because they are not "genuine" Likes. If you like somebody's page and want them to reciprocate, I suggest asking through an FB message.

Jim Burr

Banned
I would just advise against people posting a comment on a page like "Liked your page, here's mine" with a link. FB frowns upon link exchanges because they are not "genuine" Likes. If you like somebody's page and want them to reciprocate, I suggest asking through an FB message.

That makes a lot of sense John. I will "Like" a fellow pen makers page if it is dedicated to just that and the work is good. I stop at certain pen styles. Take this the way it's intended and not the way some will take it...if you've been making pens for 3 months or still make a fat lady pen from a slim...what separates those from any guy off the street...do you really want to put those up against someone that's been at it for years? Mine suck so I'm not in this part of the discussion...but really look at what's out there on fleabay and other sites. Can anyone here do better...I see a few.

I agree with you about random link exchanges, and that's not what I am proposing to do. I think this is a great opportunity to connect the Facebook accounts with the IAP members. As I mentioned before, learning is our primary objective, and not for someone just looking to add likes.

As part of the marketing your pens panel discussion, the social media discussion will be featuring some of the listings in the discussion and if the members are there, they can answer questions directly. Similar to the rest of the skills you all share about turning and pen making. For those that want to try / tried social media and failed, this gives them a great opportunity to learn from others who understand how things work. This will be a great way to find out more about members' social media activities and learn more about what works for each business.

Last edited:

kovalcik

I just started using Facebook page, mostly as a gallery so people can see what I make. The address is in my signature. You are free to use it in a directory if you like. Will the directory be available to those of us who cannot attend MAPG?

I just started using Facebook page, mostly as a gallery so people can see what I make. The address is in my signature. You are free to use it in a directory if you like. Will the directory be available to those of us who cannot attend MAPG?

We are having our final planning meeting on Saturday, so I should be able to let you know more next week on what I can share.

Whatever the case, all inclusions are opt-in only. I will have to hear from the members directly if they want included in the directory. Maybe someday we can get social media links added to everyone's IAP profiles if there is enough interest.

Falcon1220

We are having our final planning meeting on Saturday, so I should be able to let you know more next week on what I can share.

Whatever the case, all inclusions are opt-in only. I will have to hear from the members directly if they want included in the directory. .

Please add me or do you need more, like a PM.
FB link in my signature

Whatever the case, all inclusions are opt-in only. I will have to hear from the members directly if they want included in the directory. .

Please add me or do you need more, like a PM.
FB link in my signature

This is good, anything posted here will be included unless otherwise stated. That statement in red was just to clarify how people would be included.

Sataro

I agree with you about random link exchanges, and that's not what I am proposing to do. I think this is a great opportunity to connect the Facebook accounts with the IAP members. As I mentioned before, learning is our primary objective, and not for someone just looking to add likes.

As part of the marketing your pens panel discussion, the social media discussion will be featuring some of the listings in the discussion and if the members are there, they can answer questions directly. Similar to the rest of the skills you all share about turning and pen making. For those that want to try / tried social media and failed, this gives them a great opportunity to learn from others who understand how things work. This will be a great way to find out more about members' social media activities and learn more about what works for each business.

I like what you are trying to do here. I am a member on a couple of facebook groups for pen turning. When I see a pen that I like, I click on "like" on it. I do not ask anyone to click on my page in turn. I see what you are doing as a way for me to learn from other people's work. Ex: how do they setup their page, how is their items described, how do they advertise, etc... So for me this would be a way to learn more about how others may advertise...

Tina, I might just have to stay an extra day and ask you 1,000 questions on this:biggrin::rolleyes::wink:

Roy you already know I am more than happy to share what I have learned.
My goal with this project is to harness the collective knowledge...there are some very talented marketers and social media gurus that we can all learn from.:)

I am wrapping up this social directory offer this week, so it can be ready for MAPG 2014 on May 2. If you want your social media links to be included, please let me know ASAP.

I use facebook but nowhere near its full potential.

www.facebook.com/CrescentCove

Here's a Facebook tip that might help...I will share more what we talk about after MAPG for those that cannot attend.

FACEBOOK TIP #1:

To get more comments,*tailor your status updates*to ask for your fans' opinions, stories and even advice. The comments will*float your post to the top of your fans' news feeds, giving more fans the opportunity to interact.

Top Bottom