Tap and die sets in triple/double start - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > Group Purchases > Group Purchase Research
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Group Purchase Research Discussions of Possible Group Purchases

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2016, 10:18 AM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 9

I'd be in for M13 double and M11 double set both with bottoming taps

I already have the rest at this point.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:55 PM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 15

current count is;

11mm double - 1
11mm triple - 2

13 mm doubles - 3
13 mm triples - 7
13 mm undecided - 3

14mm doubles - 3

Looks like we could get the 6qty discount 13mm doubles and triples at this point if the undecided's go with doubles (which i think was the preference of a some). I have the feeling once we get this approved and posted in the actual group buy it will take-off getting us down to 12 qty prices on both the 13mm double and triples, and probably at lest 6 of the 11mm triples and 14mm doubles...

Please continue to provide preferences and spread the word to anyone who has shown interest in "component-less"

For those on the fence about what size/brand of nib to use you can start off buying churchill/el grande sections with a cheap 10mmx1.0 tap. The churchill/el grande sections thread right in and have the section nib and feed assembly all in one, jump start into "kitless."
wwneko is offline   Top
Old 01-26-2016, 12:29 AM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 41

Default Triples are better than doubles, IMHO

I'm questioning why anybody wants doubles, except for those wanting a less aggressive thread as James pointed out in an earlier post in response to my question about this. Less aggressive, as I understand it, could be important depending on the material that you are threading.

I bought the 12mm and 14mm double thread sets in the previous group buy a few months ago.
I am disappointed in them and I'll tell you why.

I like to match blank patterns across the centerband. As part of this process, I do a lot of putting the cap on and off while making adjustments. When taking the cap off, I back off slowly and carefully until I feel/hear a click. By that I know when the next thread is engaged, and the blank pattern will have rotated by the next N degrees. In the case of double threads, N = 180, of course. Things get very confusing when you have only 2 threads (double) and you quickly lose track of where you are.

Not only do things get confusing, but by the feel of the *double* threads it is hard to tell when you reach the next thread. The cap and body tend to wobble with respect to each other right at the transition to the next thread making the transition hard to detect.

With triple threads, there is no problem. The cap and body don't wobble with respect to each other at the transition point; the feel of the transition click is very detectable. . I never lose track of where I am with triples.

I hope someone who has worked with doubles will read this post and comment on their experience. I also hope I have explained myself adequately.

And if I am missing something, please correct me, but I don't think I am.

A third point is that, as far as I know, no commercial pens or kit pens use doubles. I'd like to work with triples because they are common.

Last edited by magpens; 01-26-2016 at 12:39 AM.
magpens is online now   Top
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2016, 03:47 AM   #24 (permalink)

I was told that it had to do with only one of the threads making a good match/seal/seem. I don't understand why this is the case, if it is true, and if so to what degree do the other threads not engage.

I see the threads as a 3 legged stool, as long as the 3 threads are close they should balance out, but like I said I don't get it.

Edit: I think the 13mm will be able to get up to 12 qty on both the triples and doubles but only time can tell.

Last edited by wwneko; 01-26-2016 at 03:49 AM.
wwneko is offline   Top
Old 01-26-2016, 11:25 AM   #25 (permalink)

Yes, to your description of the threads as a 3-legged stool in the case of triples.
That's just how they feel.

But in the case of doubles, you don't get that and so working with them is more difficult.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:59 AM   #26 (permalink)

Photos: 9

This argument has gone around and around so many times in the past.

Just accept that some people prefer double and some people prefer triple. It's really just that straight forward.

For those who keep referencing what "kits" do, we're not making kits. If you wanted to duplicate a kit then just use a kit. The point of "kitless" is that you are free to make them however you see fit.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:36 PM   #27 (permalink)

From the people who prefer doubles, I'd still like to hear their reason. There must be a reason. I'd like to learn what it is.
It's not a case of "What's your favorite color".

Last edited by magpens; 01-26-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:03 AM   #28 (permalink)

Looks like we will at least be ordering the 13mm triples. For those interested in the 13mm and 14mm doubles, would any of you still be in at the 6qty price break or only interested if we hit the 12 qty?
Old 01-31-2016, 01:09 PM   #29 (permalink)

What's the status of the 11mm triple set ? Is that a "go" too ?

Old 01-31-2016, 05:05 PM   #30 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I am interested in 13 mm triple set
Henrique Sampaio is offline   Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads
Closed Thread