Tap and die sets in triple/double start - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > Group Purchases > Group Purchase Research
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Group Purchase Research Discussions of Possible Group Purchases

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2016, 12:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 15

Default Tap and die sets in triple/double start

I'm looking onto doing a group buy on some double/triple start taps and dies.

The cost will be a MINIMUM of 111$ for a set, which includes one tap and one die. That price is with a qty of 12 of the same size as of the last group buy like this, so likely it could be more.

Who would be interested and what size would you want? Double or triple start? If there is only enough interest in one of the sizes, that is the size we will go with. I'm particularly interested in 11mm and 13mm triples, but would settle on doubles. Pitch will be .8 or 1.0.
wwneko is offline   Top
Old 01-18-2016, 12:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 42

I am interested in 11mm and 13mm triples with 0.8 or .75 pitch. If the group decides on doubles, I MIGHT be interested, just might.

Also interested in 9mm 0.75 single.

Last edited by magpens; 01-18-2016 at 12:21 PM.
magpens is offline   Top
Old 01-18-2016, 12:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Linter rated in different sizes. Let's see what others suggest
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2016, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Any interest in a M10 x .75 double or triple set? I think this is the smallest you can safely go with a #5 nib/section. You could use an 8mm x.75 single thread on the section, which is the smallest you could go and still fit the end of a converter. This leaves enough material to cut 10mm cap to body threads.

Update, I will be posting a poll on this at some point to decide the sizes. For this post maybe we should talk double vs triple start what do people want? Most of the buys in the past look like they were triple, then on this last buy they went double start.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 235

I'd be interested in a 14mm double and 13mm double .8 pitch
Old 01-18-2016, 09:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

As I said above, triples for me please. . I tried the doubles from the last buy and have decided I prefer triples. . Reason? . Commercial kits seem to all be triple start; I like them and want to be compatible with them, whatever that means ! . On/off speed is one concrete factor I prefer about the triple. . I don't think triples are any more expensive.

Would be happy to hear a reason for going to double.

magpens is offline   Top
Old 01-18-2016, 11:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

The only benefit I can think on double would be threading brittle material, it's a bit less aggressive. If that's the only selling point, I want triple start myself.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpens View Post
As I said above, triples for me please. . I tried the doubles from the last buy and have decided I prefer triples. . Reason? . Commercial kits seem to all be triple start; I like them and want to be compatible with them, whatever that means ! . On/off speed is one concrete factor I prefer about the triple. . I don't think triples are any more expensive.

Would be happy to hear a reason for going to double.
Aren't most kit pens quad start? I just tested a few, and they were quad threads.

And I might be interested in 13 double depending on price. I don't know if .8 pitch has an advantage over .75. I think double would work fine for me. But I'm ok with triple too.

Central Arkansas IAP Chapter Member
BSea is offline   Top
Old 01-19-2016, 08:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 11

I'd really like a set of 12mm triples but if there is no interest I'm in for 13mm triples.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSea View Post
Aren't most kit pens quad start? I just tested a few, and they were quad threads.
Would depend on which kits we're each in the habit of buying. . The ones that I have (and I can't remember names right now) are mostly triples, but I did see in my testing at least one quad. . I'll start keeping a record. . I believe the Jr. Gent II is triple.

magpens is offline   Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads
Closed Thread