Irish Bog Oak Possible Buy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Masshardt

This thread is only to judge interest in a very specific group buy to see how this goes and possibly then lead to others in the future. Posting here does not get you dibs in such a buy if it happens

I'm wanting to know if there are 9 people in the US who are willing to buy 10 pen blanks of Irish bog oak imported directly from a seller in Ireland who cuts it himself His name is Kevin Magrath and is an eBay seller. He says that the blanks all come from the same log and have consistent color They are 3/4" square

The cost would be $69 or just a little less for 10 blanks shipped to your door priority mail. That's $6 per blank plus shipping and PayPal fees This reduced cost is for the quantity purchased and includes the large shipping cost to me. There is no certificate of authenticity as getting each piece of wood tested would add a large cost

Also, you would have to pay me and then wait the couple weeks for them to get here. I should be able to get them out the next day or so.

Would anyone be interested in buying 10 blanks for $69 total?

Again, this thread is interest gathering only I attempted to share a good amount of possible details to gain appropriate interest levels

Dan Masshardt

do we have an approximate age? I think the older it is the darker, correct?

I'll try to get an idea on dating. It's plenty dark. I'll be turning a pen from the sample piece this week to share.

Here are the samples he sent me. Again, it's said to be from the same log.

Attachments

• image-2646233071.jpg
    image-2646233071.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 1,736
  • image-98472611.jpg
    image-98472611.jpg
    463 KB · Views: 551
  • image-2224083254.jpg
    image-2224083254.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 260

SteveG

I am interested, for a 10-pack, but the age of the wood is important. Even a reasonable estimate would suffice that is based on the seller's contextual information. So I could be in or not in based on the age. One thing for sure, as we talk about it, it is getting older, which is a good thing!:tongue:

Karl_99

I would be interested in an order in about a month.

The ebay site states: "Irish bog-oak ranges in age from 3,000 to 8,000 years old"

Dan Masshardt

The chances of us having a date to go buy with more than a guess is unlikely. I think we have to guess as best we can given color.

I've seen various bog oak blanks and these ones look really nice in color.

I will have a pen turned from it to share end result before I open up the buy.

We are looking at a time frame of fairly soon. Remember it will take a couple weeks to get here.

Hopefully we can do more group buys so the 'in the future' folks will have a chance later.

stonepecker

My working season is controled by the weather. Right now we are looking at 50's today with a winter storm warning for monday/tuesday and blizzard conditions.
I need to get outside and work but I won't fight mother nature.

Anytime after May 1st would work for me. By then I should have a little cash to spare. (and by then I maybe able to afford 20)

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

I count 7 who are interested without a time issue A few more who would be interested at a later time and a couple more with possible concerns about age.

I'm looking for 9 for this buy, but should probably have interest a little in excess of that to open the buy, although there may be others who jump in later

Dan Masshardt

At this point I think there are enough people interested to go ahead with a buy I will post the buy a little but later this week. I want to get a pen turned from the wood first.

Hopefully this will be the beginning of an ongoing opportunity

Continue to post interest though

Also, if you didn't respond because you are interested in less quantity , let me know.

At this point I can't do anything to get the price lower

SteveG

Hey Dan, since the demand may exceed supply, are we who responded to this thread in, as long as we check in on the actual buy thread? Thanks for working up this buy.

Dan Masshardt

Hey Dan, since the demand may exceed supply, are we who responded to this thread in, as long as we check in on the actual buy thread? Thanks for working up this buy.

I don't think that is how it works, but I've never done a group buy.

I don't think the research thread here can be translated into the commitment thread.

I will give warning here in advance so it won't be a surprise when the other thread is started.

Jim15

Hi Dan,
I would be in if I can pay by check. I know I would have to wait until the check clears before shipping. Thank you.
Jim

Dan Masshardt

Guys,

I turned one today. There are some brown hues in it and some spots where the grain is a little open. Nothing that doesn't fill in with my spot of pens plus after each grit method.

What do you guys think? Too light in color?

Attachments

• image-4290925045.jpg
    image-4290925045.jpg
    422.2 KB · Views: 179
  • image-1269975809.jpg
    image-1269975809.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 174
  • image-3260282196.jpg
    image-3260282196.jpg
    484.4 KB · Views: 184

Dan Masshardt

Oops, just saw where you want PayPal. Sorry.

Jim - I'd prefer to keep this one PayPal as I'll be sending most of the money right out to the supplier via paypal.

When / if we do round 2 (we will if this goes off well) I will make accommodation for you to use check if desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom