Gauging interest in additional die holders without the arbor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

I've been chatting with Chris over at Little Machine Shop. They have one of the most common tail stock die holders that I've seen pen makers use. They're compact and do the job well.

I know several of us who buy multiple holders to keep the most common sized dies loaded up but it's a shame to pay for and end up tossing in a bin all of the extra arbors and tommy bars that come with them.

He said he can get just the die holder without the arbor or tommy bar for $20.50 each but it would have to be a MOQ of 25 units and a 4-month turn around.

That's $12.45 cheaper than buying the full unit of which you won't use anything but the holder.

I'm just trying to gauge interest to see if we can hit the 25 quantity. I know I'd be in for probably 3 myself.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Is there a pic of the design type of these holders? I'm not sure if it was one of LMS's or not but there was a set offered here recently and it struck me that there appears to be a flaw in the design.
Round die holders should have three grubscrews to hold and vary the diameter of the die. Most good dies have a split and two dimples adjacent to the split.
However, the die holder being offered had only two screws and they were( or appeared to be) on opposite sides of the holder.:confused:

Edit in: Carl, I just checked and saw it was you offering the system.

Last edited:

Carl Fisher

Is there a pic of the design type of these holders? I'm not sure if it was one of LMS's or not but there was a set offered here recently and it struck me that there appears to be a flaw in the design.
Round die holders should have three grubscrews to hold and vary the diameter of the die. Most good dies have a split and two dimples adjacent to the split.
However, the die holder being offered had only two screws and they were( or appeared to be) on opposite sides of the holder.:confused:

Edit in: Carl, I just checked and saw it was you offering the system.

That was the Neils Niche design. it was actually a pretty good holder, just a bit long for my setup and tastes.

This is for the one lined in the post above. The idea is to have one full set with the arbor and tommy bar and then just buy more die holder sleeves without the extra pieces.

I know Jonathon and I both use multiple die holders and just keep the most common dies loaded up full time.

wwneko

I'd be in for at least one up to 3. What size is the arbor? Will the die holders fit on the niche arbor?

Carl Fisher

No, they don't fit the Niche arbor unfortunately.

I can measure the size on mine the next time I'm in the shop though.

Just a reminder, this is for the holder only. If you need at least one arbor and tommy bar, you'll need to buy one full set from LMS. Then if this group buy actually happens, you would be able to buy more holders as needed.

Carl Fisher

These are 1" and 13/16" only. I use a 1" to 1-1/2" adapter for my larger dies.

Carl, where do you buy an adaptor from 1" to 1-1/2" ? Or did you make one ?

I bought mine from another member here, but honestly don't recall who it was. Mine is steel, but I've seen them out of delrin, aluminum or pretty much any suitable material that you can turn and tap some grub screws into.

wwneko

Any chance the "full sets" can be shipped with the order of additional die holders for those without? I'd get a full set and two additional die holders if it's an option. Just saving a little on shipping helps.

Top Bottom