12mm Tap and Die (triple start threads)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plano_harry

From what I have been able to find, it has been over 3 yrs since there was a group buy on triple start 12mm tap & die set. The purpose of these tools to create cap to body threads with a triple-start feature. The threads you create should be compatible with "El Grande" components. The 12mm thread size should be suitable for both large (#6) nibs and small (#5) nibs. This group buy is targeted to the more advanced penmaker and will require the use of a die holder (not available in this buy). Furthermore, additional taps and dies will likely be required to make a kitless pen using these tools.

To achieve best pricing, we will need a minimum quantity of 24 taps and 12 dies to proceed with the buy.

Specs of tap and die from the previous group buy are:
M12.0 x 0.8P x 2.4L triple start taper-style tap, Standard Class 6H, 4 Flute
M12.0 x 0.8P x 2.4L triple start 1" OD Round adjustable die

Open to discussion on taper vs plug style tap. I have requested pricing and should be able to provide that shortly.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plano_harry

That was from the previous buy. I interpret it to mean you could cut female cap threads that would fit an El Grande section coupler thread, or an El Grande centerband would fit the male body thread from this die. Not sure about that, just interpreting that from turbowagon's previous buy.

Dan Masshardt

That sounds like a nice way to move in the kitless direction being able to use an existing section to start. - I'll be watching for details. Curious on the cost. :)

Timebandit

That sounds like a nice way to move in the kitless direction being able to use an existing section to start. - I'll be watching for details. Curious on the cost. :)

Its not the section threads, but the cap to barrel threads. Barrel to section threads are 10 x 1mm threads, so you will need that tap and die if you wish to use the El Grande/Churchill sections. Costs are usually in the $120 range, give or take.

Dan Masshardt

Its not the section threads, but the cap to barrel threads. Barrel to section threads are 10 x 1mm threads, so you will need that tap and die if you wish to use the El Grande/Churchill sections. Costs are usually in the $120 range, give or take.

So you could use the whole front section from the kit including the coupler and tap the cap with this and it should work with the external threads on the el grande coupler ?

Thanks for bearing with me.

Timebandit

So you could use the whole front section from the kit including the coupler and tap the cap with this and it should work with the external threads on the el grande coupler ?

Thanks for bearing with me.

Yes. These taps were originally made taking measurements from the El Grande Cap and Barrel threads. They are a direct match. You can just use the coupler and front section and make your own barrel and cap. Or use the barrel and make a new cap. Or use the cap and make a new barrel. Kind of making a hybrid half kitless.

jj9ball

Silverpenparts.com has the 12mm tap and die set for $135. If you were doing a group order for the 14mm tap and die set or a 15 or 16 set (I like big pens). I would jump right in... but for the amount of time and effort you would probably be money ahead just buying them from Mike. PM me if you do the bigger set and I'll join.

Top Bottom